Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

What should happen with Maynard?

• 1-2 match suspension for careless, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 247 27.9%
  • 3-4 match suspension for intentional, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 203 23.0%
  • 5+ match suspension, intentional or careless with severe impact, straight to tribunal

Votes: 68 7.7%
  • Charges downgraded to a fine

Votes: 52 5.9%
  • No charge/no penalty

Votes: 314 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

THE AFL has opted against appealing the Tribunal's decision in the Brayden Maynard case, meaning the Collingwood defender is in the clear to play in the Magpies' preliminary final.

The AFL, having brought the charge against Maynard, said on Wednesday that it would not challenge the Tribunal's ruling, but would comment further later in the day.

"The AFL has confirmed that after careful consideration and review of the Tribunal's decision and reasons following last night's hearing into the incident involving Collingwood's Brayden Maynard and Melbourne's Angus Brayshaw, the AFL has decided not to appeal the Tribunal's decision," a statement read.

"Per the Tribunal Guidelines the AFL had to make this decision by 12:00pm AEST today.

"The AFL will release a further statement later today."
Finally some sanity 👍

I'm not sure what Maynard is suppose to do. If he doesn't turn to the side they will literally clash heads with each other.
He has too much momentum to avoid making any contact. This incident is no different to jumping for a mark and kneeing someone in the back of the head, similar to Rayner a couple weeks back on Ryan.
Just put his hands out in front to protect himself and Brayshaw

"He was trying to smother'

' whst else could he do but put his shoulder into Bradshaw's head?'

'He barely touched him, Bradshaw just has a weak jaw'

"Football act"

" Its a conspiracy against Collingwood, if he played for blah blah team..."

You know you are in trouble when these are your best defenses.

One simple question here to be answered from where I sit.

Did Brayshaw do anything to contribute to the contact, or could he have reasonably been expected to do anything to avoid this contact?

If the answers to those questions are no(as I believe,) then it is pure and simply a case of Maynard's action and late contact caused Brayshaw to be concussed and Maynard needed to find a way to perform that manoeuvre that didn't leave Brayshaw in such jeopardy.

From the behind the goals vision we can see as Maynard decides to go forward and attempt to smother he is initially not running in a line that would make contact with Brayshaw. Which player moved off the line to cause the contact? I think that was Maynard. Especially the last split second shift of the hip into the line of Brayshaw's face was avoidable.

For mine this is careless conduct, high contact and severe impact. 3 weeks minimum. The only debatable part is of course the careless conduct, and as it is truly debatable he should get the minimal sanction, which sadly for him and Collingwood, is 3 weeks. A player with clear possession in no traffic and executing a stock standard kick of the ball has to be entitled to do that without getting ko'd by contact to the head after disposal. That's why I think unless somebody could successfully argue that Brayshaw caused the contact by some unexpected or unpredictable(to Maynard) late movement, then Maynard's season is over.

Will get nothing, jumped to smother the ball and he can’t change direction mid air, it is impossible. Doesn’t Goodwin come across as the biggest sook, when things don’t go his way. Tosser of the highest order.

Mate he legit turned his body into Brayshaws head while in mid-air. Could’ve easily rolled his body the other way. Will be gone for weeks.

Yes split second reaction, but his split second reaction needs to be un-learnt. Had other options. He could have turned the other way and likely missed him altogether or at the least less severe contact, could have put hands out to brace for contact, could have used hands to potentially remove him from contact altogether but no, he chose the worst possible option for both Brayshaw and himself.Just for context. The brain has about 100-300 milliseconds to make a reaction/decision on a visual, far more than split second.

I can't see him getting off. Not after how furious the afl were with the Cripps decision last year.

Unfortunate for Maynard as he didn't intentionally try to hurt him. But he has a serious crack and found himself in a position where he made front on contact with a player after he kicked it while it mid air...

Did Brayshaw do anything to contribute to the contact, or could he have reasonably been expected to do anything to avoid this contact?

If the answers to those questions are no(as I believe,) then it is pure and simply a case of Maynard's action and late contact caused Brayshaw to be concussed and Maynard needed to find a way to perform that manoeuvre that didn't leave Brayshaw in such jeopardy.

From the behind the goals vision we can see as Maynard decides to go forward and attempt to smother he is initially not running in a line that would make contact with Brayshaw. Which player moved off the line to cause the contact? I think that was Maynard. Especially the last split second shift of the hip into the line of Brayshaw's face was avoidable.

For mine this is careless conduct, high contact and severe impact. 3 weeks minimum. The only debatable part is of course the careless conduct, and as it is truly debatable he should get the minimal sanction, which sadly for him and Collingwood, is 3 weeks. A player with clear possession in no traffic and executing a stock standard kick of the ball has to be entitled to do that without getting ko'd by contact to the head after disposal. That's why I think unless somebody could successfully argue that Brayshaw caused the contact by some unexpected or unpredictable(to Maynard) late movement, then Maynard's season is over.

Unfortunately Maynard can't fly, so there wasn't much he could do once Brayshaw elected to crash through his descent path

0 weeks 👍

Why do drivers about to crash in an accident almost always swerve to the right and kill their passengers?

The answer is 'self-preservation' and it's wired into our brains.

Maynard couldn't have possibly altered his action in the split-second he had, his mind made him protect himself without realising.

Why do drivers about to crash in an accident almost always swerve to the right and kill their passengers?

Maynard couldn't have possibly altered his action in the split-second he had, his mind made him protect himself without realising.
Doesn't matter. He jumped and collected the head and KO someone.

No amount of human nature survival theories changes that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, and he and other AFL players minds need to be reprogrammed through a suspension. It actually works. Do X and get suspended and lose money, the brain adapts very quickly.

When you say it’s a simple question can you limit to like ten words?

Hey we never blamed Bluey Adams for the Adams/Healey collision 💥

It's finals, things happen
It's the AFL, things happen. That will be Maynard's only saving grace. But I don't even think the AFL could try to pull a rabbit out of this hat.

Yes, and he and other AFL players minds need to be reprogrammed through a suspension. It actually works.
Really?

Going to 'reprogram' someone's mind to change their decision in .5 of a second?

Ok...

Bet you think he could do a front somersault with a half twist before he landed, right?

Really?

Going to 'reprogram' someone's mind to change their decision in .5 of a second?

Ok...

Bet you think he could do a front somersault with a half twist before he landed, right?
Look at Toby Green, when was the last time he got suspended. Still plays the line, amazing footballer

How many weeks should Brayshaw get then? Bloody stiff not to get a free kick there as well given Brayshaw's reckless attack on his hip and shoulder.

4 weeks for no early plea. :)
Yep and let's hope Brayshaws brothers and old man give Maynard their full support and concern for all the pain and anguish he must be feeling. Pay him a visit, get around him, he must be hurting.

Look at Toby Green, when was the last time he got suspended. Still plays the line, amazing footballer
What's this got to do with Greene?

Maynard plays hard and he's a mouthy campaigner but I don't ever recall him being dirty.

Sorry, people are either being emotional(Melbourne supporters) or have a vested interested(Carlton supporters) in seeing him suspended.

Sucks for Brayshaw but if you want to blame Maynard for slow-motion vision, then you need to highlight the fact that Brayshaw was also oblviious(in slow-mo) to a player being in front of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

Back