MCDFNL 2024 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you guys might be underestimating how many players there are out there who are too soft, scared, uncommitted etc enough to want to play in a major league.

Have a feeling if Maryborough dropped back there would be plenty wanting to play for the big club at the best ground.

I think you guys might be underestimating how many players there are out there who are too soft, scared, uncommitted etc enough to want to play in a major league.

Have a feeling if Maryborough dropped back there would be plenty wanting to play for the big club at the best ground.
I think the argument of needing to find at least 20 blokes to begin with (forget quality just warm bodies) to fill a twos side is still a valid one.

From there then getting some quality players certainly wouldn't hurt.

The problem is that playing in the major league should have been the draw card for them to recruit from the Nattes, Dunollys etc, but it went the other way and now a lot of these guys are probably happy to play on at teams that are going along alright and not necessarily on their last legs (which isn't a nice way to look at it I know) and an unknown quantity. I understand too a lot of this comes down to $$. If a club whether in a major or minor league is offering more $$ the vast majority will take the $$ over any sort of loyalty these days.

I don't begrudge Maryborough in any form, I am just not sure what the best move for them is, staying likely isn't viable, MCDFNL teams have all said no but I assume that maybe overruled by higher ups if need be and merging doesn't seem to be in the talks.

The problem is that playing in the major league should have been the draw card for them to recruit

I think those days are gone. It used to be that the best players would have a crack at the major comp at some stage in their careers, especially when they were a chance to get picked up by an AFL club from there.

The advent of things like the Pioneers killed that so now major league generally means putting in a whole lot more work and effort for less money and less chance of success. Not much interest in that for modern day young people.

Any truth to Coby Perry coaching the Giants next season?

Interesting how that would have come about given the Giants were dead against Maryborough coming in and voting no, then refusing a merger too. Hopefully this doesnt mean Maryborough are all but folded and he's begun looking elsewhere.

It'd be a huge get for the Giants considering how things panned out this year with Cupido. He'd be a fantastic asset to get ahold of.

Interesting how that would have come about given the Giants were dead against Maryborough coming in and voting no, then refusing a merger too. Hopefully this doesnt mean Maryborough are all but folded and he's begun looking elsewhere.

It'd be a huge get for the Giants considering how things panned out this year with Cupido. He'd be a fantastic asset to get ahold of.

I’ve heard he may be coaching them as a prelude to a merger next year when they have had more time to sort things out.

Word going around today is that Clive Raak has handed in his resignation at Trentham.

Granted they were smashed in the grand final - But would be an attractive list to inherit for the next coach.

Word going around today is that Clive Raak has handed in his resignation at Trentham.

Granted they were smashed in the grand final - But would be an attractive list to inherit for the next coach.
Confirmed, he is staying around in some capacity apparently but doesn't have the time to coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

MCDFNL 2024 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back