MCG: When is a sellout not a sellout?

Remove this Banner Ad

100% if you wake up unable to go, you message your best mate and give it to them.
Yeah but seriously...3 people in total? I am certain there'd also be more corporates than that who got given a ticket and couldn;t care

At about 12:45, and maybe earlier, the MCC announced that all seats in their reserve were taken, and only standing room was available. Walk-ups in the MCC get a ticket on the day that 'reserves' their seat. So the first people in the queue on the day get their choice of the best seats. Once the staff have no more tickets to hand out that means no more seats are available, which must've occurred on the day. About half the MCC Reserve is pre-reserved, so any unused seats would have been from that allocatment

There were a number of unused seats on level 3 & 4 of the AFL Members section, but they were of the two-seats-here, three-seats-there variety.

There were a lot of empty seats in the top level of the Ponsford Stand, behind the goals.

Yeah it's awesome that corporate w***ers with cash can get seats over real fans.
I'd better go tell myself and all my MCC mates that we're 'corporate' and not 'real fans'.

No matter how hard you seethe, the ferals will never be let in the members. Never.

I don’t understand why people think it’s so elite? You’re welcome to put your name on the list, and the price is comparable to high level club membership/afl membership which isn’t classed as elite.

Simply look around at your pompous collins st cowboy brethren wearing their Stockbroker Slippers (RM Williams) and w***er Waistcoats (Northface puffer jackets) and the answers ye shall find.

I could have had a membership a few years back. Would rather drink warm piss out of a plastic cup with the general public then be a part of the **** wits that frequent the MCC

Simply look around at your pompous collins st cowboy brethren wearing their Stockbroker Slippers (RM Williams) and w***er Waistcoats (Northface puffer jackets) and the answers ye shall find.

I could have had a membership a few years back. Would rather drink warm piss out of a plastic cup with the general public then be a part of the * wits that frequent the MCC
Good luck with your issues going forward 👍

You have 3 separate stadiums in one really.

27,000 MCC, 18,000 AFL and 55,000 General Public you need everything to go right to hit capacity.

A sell out the media refer to might just mean general public which is about 55% of capacity.

Don't know about the AFL members, but the MCC Members was totally full. No spare seats anywhere. They made an announcement an hour before the game that only standing room was available for late arriving walk-up members.
AFL Members are fully ticketed to big games, no walk ups.

MCC was fully ticketed.

It was only standing room.

No different to the rest of the reserve.

People need to realise that the 100k capacity isnt seats, it includes standing room, corporate boxes, dining rooms etc.
This, the reason for the 100k crowds are corporates having there dodgy rabbit.

Empty seats seen on the TV are generally attributed to the boys and girls having fun in the bars watching it on the TV screen.

At about 12:45, and maybe earlier, the MCC announced that all seats in their reserve were taken, and only standing room was available. Walk-ups in the MCC get a ticket on the day that 'reserves' their seat. So the first people in the queue on the day get their choice of the best seats. Once the staff have no more tickets to hand out that means no more seats are available, which must've occurred on the day. About half the MCC Reserve is pre-reserved, so any unused seats would have been from that allocatment

There were a number of unused seats on level 3 & 4 of the AFL Members section, but they were of the two-seats-here, three-seats-there variety.

There were a lot of empty seats in the top level of the Ponsford Stand, behind the goals.
Two seats here three seats there = beers in the bar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or they could be no-shows. Though until they release figures comparing the actual attendance with the number pre-reserved tickets we'll never know.
This is true, but as you’d be aware the bars are always full to the brim in the big games.

Or they could be no-shows. Though until they release figures comparing the actual attendance with the number pre-reserved tickets we'll never know.

I've seen similar figures for other events.

'season' seats can often be empty (how often depends on how big a game it is), but tickets bought for the event specifically rarely are.

A lot would be reserved seat Club members not going to the game. These are non-transferable so no on-selling is allowed. Had a few occasions where opposition supporters have got hold of tickets and come in to cause trouble (club even went and sent an email about this)

As a reserve seat holder in level 2 there would be 5 to 10 seats around me empty per home game this year.

For an area that is essentially sold out in term of membership there tend to be a lot of empty seats. This can also be a result of people watching from behind the glass etc.

Very occasionally the AFL and/or MCC release figures about the attendance at specific matches. I found a 2003 The Age article (when the MCG was being redeveloped and capacity was reduced). The last line of the article is "Demetriou lamented the fact that more than 3000 annual reserved seat ticket-holders did not turn up on Friday night, with a further 1600 buying seats and choosing not to attend. "You just can't resell those seats," he said." The article doesn't say where those 1600 seats were located, but in those days the MCC didn't reserve seats. They were talking about a Collingwood home game.

I recall (can't find the newspaper article) the MCC releasing figures about the attendance to a 'house full' Carl/Rich season opener. Everyone (the AFL and Clubs included) were openly criticising the MCC because there were empty seats. The MCC, as ground manager, released the figures to show that the home team season-reserved holders and those who pre-reserved seats contributed their fair share to the number of the empty seats. Ever since then the League and the clubs have been more circumspect when it comes to blaming the MCC about unused seats.

Carlton home game, so they had reserve seat members not show up. Collingwood away game at the MCG, so they had reserve seat members not show up. Both MCC & AFL Members fully ticketed so unlikely to be a lot of no shows, plus unused corporate box seats. It does add up quite easily.

MCC Twitter said they would by issuing walk up seating tickets on level 2 and 3 only, leaving the 9 advertised walk up bays on level 1 open slather. So level 2 and 3 walkup area was likely full, but level 1 not 100% because some people take up more seats than they need and leave empties between groups.

I'm sure there would have been no shows in all reserved sections of the ground, particularly when there is no extra cost to reserve or only $10 in the AFL Reserve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back