ozzult

Premiership Player
Feb 2, 2002
P-Town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Eagles
McKenna has left his coaching role at West Coast according to Ch 10 news.

He has taken the senior position at Claremont.

Looks to me as if Bluey is serious about a coaching career in the AFL, and it looks to be a good move from him, hopefully his void will be filled by Micale's full time appointment.

A better move would've been to get some credentials outside of WA. Its not like the West Coast job will be open real soon, which leaves him with a choice of..well....Freo.

Originally posted by ozzult
McKenna has left his coaching role at West Coast according to Ch 10 news.

He has taken the senior position at Claremont.

Looks to me as if Bluey is serious about a coaching career in the AFL, and it looks to be a good move from him, hopefully his void will be filled by Micale's full time appointment.

Not a good move for Bluey.

Won't advance his credentials one iota moving back home, but will give him an easier life, I guess.

Not so

Just heard a representative from Claremont say that they have NOT appointd a coach for next year and a decision will not be made until Friday.

maybe / maybe not

It could well be true and Channel 10 just jumped the gun - but the official word is that no appointment has yet been made.

No coaching appointment has been made yet - they are still interviewing 3 others (Bewick is one of them).

IF Bluey does go back to Claremont, would we get another assistant coach or part time assistant?

Originally posted by GoEagles
IF Bluey does go back to Claremont, would we get another assistant coach or part time assistant?

I would like to see us appoint an experienced victorian coach. Get a different perspective into a WA dominated coaching team. Maybe poach someone from the VFL?

Gee Bluey, never thought this would happen! I cant believe he'd leave us for a WAFL side. Surely he'd be better of staying in the AFL comp if he really is serious about being an AFl coach....

Originally posted by carlyp
Gee Bluey, never thought this would happen! I cant believe he'd leave us for a WAFL side. Surely he'd be better of staying in the AFL comp if he really is serious about being an AFl coach....

I'm of the opinion that before you get appointed to a "cushy" job as an assistant in the AFL, you should have coached a team to see how it all works and thus gain hands on experience.

On the Eagles coaching panel (below Woosh) they have two people who have coached at WAFL level (Wiley & Suma), whilst Macca has come "straight" from the field and may now realise that he needs more hands on experience.

After 2 or 3 years (consistent and successful), he would be a prime candidate to be picked up by an AFL club as a 2IC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to agree with masai. I think that most AFL clubs are now looking for senior coaches to have had experience with their full control of a club at WAFL/SANFL/VFL level before going on as an Assistant with an AFL club. Like Donald McDonald went from Box Hill Hawks - Assistant Coach of Hawthorn.

Only thing is, Bluey went did it the other way round... straight from an Assistant AFL coach to potentially coaching Claremont in the WAFL.

There's coaches, and there's leaders of men.

Leaders are able to inspire a team not simply througout a game or season... but through an entire era ... ala Woosha, Sheedy, Leigh Matthews, Pagan, Malthouse, Parkin.

Whereas coaches might well be great tacticians...but think 3 years ago who were regarded as the best tactical coaches of the new generation... Wallace, Eade and Brittain. Hmmmm where are they now? With Scwabb and Connolly a chance to join them. See a common theme.

You're better off having the assistants bringing tactical knowledge because the message will only get through if you have a General giving the orders.

Originally posted by El Cid
There's coaches, and there's leaders of men.

Leaders are able to inspire a team not simply througout a game or season... but through an entire era ... ala Woosha, Sheedy, Leigh Matthews, Pagan, Malthouse, Parkin.

Whereas coaches might well be great tacticians...but think 3 years ago who were regarded as the best tactical coaches of the new generation... Wallace, Eade and Brittain. Hmmmm where are they now? With Scwabb and Connolly a chance to join them. See a common theme.

You're better off having the assistants bringing tactical knowledge because the message will only get through if you have a General giving the orders.

A very interesting point that I hadn't thought of. May also explain Robert Shaw's success at Essendon as Assistant and failure at Adelaide as the Head Coach.

Question - which is Bluey? To me he is a quiet leader and was a great player and I don't know about the tactical side.

To me, Bluey is a great tactician.

He always had a football brain, that is what made him such a great player.

From what I can tell, he is the kind of player that can sit back, and look at a game for a little while and know exactly what is going on.

Yeah tactics are his game. Probably the reasons there might of been disagreements in the coaching box. Mchale's way or McKenna's way?

As a leader, you never know with Mckenna since he was always second in line to Woosha. I thought he would have made a great captain but never had the chance. I think he wants his chance now as coach but i'd say there always be a home at WC if he fails elsewhere.
Still, i can't believe another AFL club didn't grab him as an assistant.

Yeah tactics are his game. Probably the reasons there might of been disagreements in the coaching box. Mchale's way or McKenna's way?

As a leader, you never know with Mckenna since he was always second in line to Woosha. I thought he would have made a great captain but never had the chance. I think he wants his chance now as coach but i'd say there always be a home at WC if he fails elsewhere.
Still, i can't believe another AFL club didn't grab him as an assistant.
Well this is news! Do you mean there has been disagreements? I don't often read the Perth media. Is there some sort of speculation that maybe Woosha and Bluey didn't see eye to eye? Or does he wants to get hands on exp?

I am in the dark here. Please help.

Originally posted by bunsen burner
Well this is news! Do you mean there has been disagreements? I don't often read the Perth media. Is there some sort of speculation that maybe Woosha and Bluey didn't see eye to eye? Or does he wants to get hands on exp?

I am in the dark here. Please help.

It was just a load of crap speculation from 6PR, I didn't take any notice of it, Woosha and the team came out, as soon as it was said on 6PR, and basically boycotted 6PR.

Most likely something that was blown out of proportion. Personally if there weren't little disagreements about decisions in the coaching box, I'd be very worried, I wouldn't want a whole bunch of 'yes men' surrounding Woosha.

As a leader, you never know with Mckenna since he was always second in line to Woosha. I thought he would have made a great captain but never had the chance.

Who was Worsfold's successor as captain again?

Remove this Banner Ad

McKenna leaves West Coast, goes to Claremont

Remove this Banner Ad

Back