Medhurst

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me, or is he pretty much the same player who gets more freekicks because he is in a Collingwood guernsey, which therefore increases his confidence which makes him look like a better player? I thought he was a bit stiff in the free kicks department for us, as purple probably didn't suit him, but he just seems same old medders, just gets confidence from goals from freekicks...I dunno just could be me..

He did get a couple last night where I thought 'He never got bullshit frees like that playing for us'. :D

I blame Farmer. If he hadn't completely stuffed up the last two seasons, he'd still be playing and we wouldn't even care about Medhurst.

Medhurst has struggled to get on the scoreboard for 7 weeks. Imagine the headlines if he'd done that in a purple jumper.

He's a little fish in a big pond now. He does something good and they stand up and take notice. He does nothing and they just don't care.

He did get a couple last night where I thought 'He never got bullshit frees like that playing for us'. :D

What about some of the absolute bullshit ones he used to get paid against him while he was at Freo... :rolleyes:

I remember a 50m that was paid against him a couple of years ago, where he asked the umpire who to give the ball to, then immediately gave it back, but looping it to that player (not unusual practice in the slightest). Umpire blew the whistle and paid a 50m against him.

I had never seen it paid like that before - nor since. I reckon if he hadn't been in purple it would never have been paid in the first place.

I remember that one vividly as well IP. It was against Melbourne at the G and I have always kept an eye out for a 50m penalty where a player gives it back to the opponent, but loops the ball a bit. I have never seen it since.

Medhurst appears to have a good year... according to the Media. And we know they always get it right.

But, if you check out his statistics, and season highlights they are mostly in big wins, meaning he had no difference in the outcome
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-collingwood-magpies--paul-medhurst

The only big games in losses, were in the first half of the season.

No one manned up on him for a good 12 rounds.

His finals efforts were pathetic, let alone rounds 13 - 22.

I can send you the spreadsheet!

I am more concerned Ben Reid will be a jet than Medhurst, and his run up for goal is not convincing.

That said, Taz certainly has to lift.

Someone posted this on the Collingwood board this morning.

Its not that we don't want him to be making a 100% effort, but watching him in the last couple of weeks, it looks a bit like he's trying to force things to happen rather than just relaxing and playing his natural game. It's like a batsman trying to hit every ball hard, rather than simply applying himself 100% to making each play on its merits. He's thinking about how's he's playing a bit too much IMO. I think also he's trying too hard to be "unselfish" and do the "team thing" even though on occasion he'd be better to just take the shot himself.

Sound familiar?

I'm now pretty convinced that Medders is following the same script as Polak and McPhee. Play out of his skin for the first season - so we have to put up with comments all year about trading away another AA - only to then regress straight back to being the same flawed players we know they are.

Spot on Esitbador... players who don't have the potential to help you in finals should be traded.

We just go to make sure maximise what we get back, players like Saint Nick win finals. We took a chance with Tarrant and he still has some years in him.

Polak and Medi wouldn't change our current situation, so I still have no issue with the trade.

Medi will be out the door in 2 seasons (2010).

I really wished well at Collingwood. Always liked him, but it is getting harder to keep liking him when the Melbourne media and Collingwood posters are telling us how good he is and how much he has improved. We know exactly how good he is and how much he's improved and its not nearly as much as they make it out to be.

And he is probably getting a better run with the umpires now, but I think that's because before the umpires had him typecast as a whinger.

Tarrant has a terrible finals record too.

Wasn't Medders close to BOG last week?

Wouldn't go that far...

Classic Medhurst. Vanish in the finals... More importantly, i think the opposition are a little more concerned about Cloke, Didak, Thomas, Davis etc. As soon as the Media cranked him up he has struggled. Med will never ever beat a quality defender

Medhurst was goalless last week (V Adelaide) and kicked 1 after the horse had bolted last night (V Saints). He equaled his best goal tally for a season with 50 goals. (Previously got 50 @ Freo 2003)

Medders kicked 1.3 last week but that totally understates the influence he had.
He was very very good against Adelaide...not so go on the weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on Esitbador... players who don't have the potential to help you in finals should be traded.

We just go to make sure maximise what we get back, players like Saint Nick win finals. We took a chance with Tarrant and he still has some years in him.

Polak and Medi wouldn't change our current situation, so I still have no issue with the trade.

Medi will be out the door in 2 seasons (2010).

Tarrant played 2 good finals 5 years ago in 2003. 1 good one in 2006.

Other then that he has been absolutely garbage and that includes 2 Grand Finals where he went missing.

Meanwhile, Medhurst was very good last week and was pretty good in the finals last year

Medhurst was goalless last week (V Adelaide) and kicked 1 after the horse had bolted last night (V Saints). He equaled his best goal tally for a season with 50 goals. (Previously got 50 @ Freo 2003)

Your a moron..., if you had of watched the game and not just looked at the stats afterwards, you would know that he basically dragged them over the line.. his score assists were brilliant, and his pressure etc first rate.

He has had the most consistent season of his career this year, even tho he has scored more goals previously. Always has been a brilliant player, and i for one was shattered the day i knew he was leaving. Another great move by the twats down there circa 2006.

Will always been a Medhurst fan, and if it meant he had to leave to play his best football then good on him.

Your a moron..., if you had of watched the game and not just looked at the stats afterwards, you would know that he basically dragged them over the line.. his score assists were brilliant, and his pressure etc first rate.

He has had the most consistent season of his career this year, even tho he has scored more goals previously. Always has been a brilliant player, and i for one was shattered the day i knew he was leaving. Another great move by the twats down there circa 2006.

Will always been a Medhurst fan, and if it meant he had to leave to play his best football then good on him.

Great post mate :thumbsu:

Good to see someone knows what they are talking about in this thread. :rolleyes:

Point Taken that he has been down slightly the last 6 weeks or so, in goalkicking numbers that is, but he is still doing the team thing. His tackles, goal assists & 1 per centers are the big difference nowadays.

He was brilliant against the Crows in the first final, no doubt got us over the line. Probably set up 4 or 5 goals.

And to "side bet" saying that Medders will be out the door in 2010.. Haha, I don't think so mate. Sour grapes by the sounds of it.

He will be a Magpie for life & still has plenty of good years left in him :thumbsu:

Oh & did I say, All Australian 2008, you little beauty :p

Well deserved Paul & congrats to Pav & Aaron also, good job :)

See you next year guys :D

Someone posted this on the Collingwood board this morning.

Sound familiar?

I'm now pretty convinced that Medders is following the same script as Polak and McPhee. Play out of his skin for the first season - so we have to put up with comments all year about trading away another AA - only to then regress straight back to being the same flawed players we know they are.
Whatever helps you sleep at night :p

Ben Reid will be our starting CHB next year as well so once again.. thank you

Your a moron..., if you had of watched the game and not just looked at the stats afterwards, you would know that he basically dragged them over the line.. his score assists were brilliant, and his pressure etc first rate...

Excuse me??? You're a moron! I watched the game and I never said he played badly, in fact I thought he played okay. Not BOG but okay. He was goalless.

Medhursts career at Fremantle has been underrated. However you cannot deny he has become a more complete player. For everyone just looking at goal counts that is exactly what was holding him back. He was under pressure as a deep forward pocket just to kick goals, now he plays further up the ground gets more of the ball and shares it more. One of his main problems was that he wasn't that great at ground level for someone of his size, he'd be matched up against taller players and he wouldn't punish them when the ball hits the ground or he didn't have the tank to run them around, but now he does.

He might even play in the midfield next year, pre-season we were thinking Brad Dick would be our main small forward and Medhurst would be a midfielder, but then Dick did his knee.

Medhurst's 2007 was solid but he played his best footy in the finals, his semi final this year wasn't so good (only 3 players for Collingwood really played at an acceptable level) but his elimination final was superb, he only had 1 goal but was near BOG.

The "he only plays well when his team plays well" argument is a shallow one that can be turned around as "when Medhurst fires Collingwood win".

Excuse me??? You're a moron! I watched the game and I never said he played badly, in fact I thought he played okay. Not BOG but okay. He was goalless.

OH so you watched the game (v. Adelaide)? Then how did you miss when he kicked the sealer with 5 minutes to go in the last quarter.

He wasn't goalless.

Jeez, think before you post next time!

Instead of ripping into your fellow supporters do some research so you don't end up looking like an idiot and a liar.

He got pantsed by Fisher, and he started having a go at his team mates coz things weren't going so flash.
Hasn't changed that much IMO, and just gets noticed more coz he plays for the team that gets the most coverage on tv in the country.
BTW Malthouse is also overrated, he hasn't won a flag as a coach since 1994.

Remove this Banner Ad

Medhurst

Remove this Banner Ad

Back