Swanny36

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Collingwood
How has everyone perceived his form over the last few weeks?

For mine, I think he has been good, not great but certainly not bad...

I think he is starting to get back to his best, look out for him in the finals.

He is a big game breaker, he will be out there doing something special over the next 4-6 weeks I reckon..

But the main one, how have you seen his form over the last say 3-4 weeks?

Obviously not in as good form as last year, but is slowly getting his fitness up. A sublime pass inside 50 today set up a goal from a not too impossible angle. Many of our shots on goal seem to come from tight angles due to our 'around the boundary' game style, so that Medhurst pass was pure gold.

I would perhaps prefer a little more selfishness in his game. A couple of times today he was so intent on giving the ball off that he missed the opportunity to take resposibility for kicking the goal.

The big question will be whether he will have enough of a fitness base to perform at his best in the finals. We are about to find out in a few weeks. Hopefully that X factor will be out in force.

PS- Does anyone believe that both Medhurst and Anthony are using different techniques when kicking for goal ? The both look a little stiff in their goalkicking actions IMO. Specifically, their grip on the ball and the subsequent drop to their boot looks different. Coaching, perhaps???????

ive been thinking every week hes been back hes slowly, ever so slowly getting back to form, i think hes getting some form up now after playing shocking about 6-7 weeks ago. Credit to coaching staff to keep giving game time who it pays of come finals time where i reckon he will be cherry ripe

Really good today. Presented really well and brought the players around him into it.

Yeah, I've noticed a slight defference in his drop...he isn't swinging the balls from left to right anymore, so that indicates a change in style.

And yes Jack has changed his grip aswell, holds it alot higher now!

Really good today. Presented really well and brought the players around him into it.
Thats what I thought, but my mate reckons he was our worst by far, he thought he was atrocious, with all the clangers and what not, so I looked and he only had two clangers..

meh, beyond me how he came to that conclusion.

Thats what I thought, but my mate reckons he was our worst by far, he thought he was atrocious, with all the clangers and what not, so I looked and he only had two clangers..

Ludicrous. Your mate's a hater. He is slowly coming back to his best and could well be a factor in the finals. Great to see him continuing his unselfish football.

Your mate is an idiot - no offence.

Medhurst has actually been in reasonable form in all areas other than goal kicking - has kicked something like 3.9 in the last 4 weeks.

I also thought he was much better yesterday, appears to be lacking a little touch which should continue to improve. I would like to see him against the bulldogs drop in behind Jack once jack leads out from the square and go one on one with his bulldog opponent. As we know he is great one on one and if he takes a couple of contested marks it may well provide the spark he needs to get back to last years form and that would be great for us in the finals.

If he can recapture last years form we will look very dangerous going forward.

He was one of our best yesterday, consistantly providing an option. Once he gets his goal kicking sorted all will be good.

Yeah, his form is improving and you can see his fitness levels rising. Just needs to get his accuracy back.

I feel Medhurst will regain full fitness and confidence just in time for the semi finals. Could be the ace in the pack come September, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him put in some dominant games with match winning performances, catching the opposition unawares.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He just does things sometimes that defy logic, both good and bad. You have to accept it though because we know what he's capable of. One of the most exciting things about our team at the moment is knowing that even though we are playing very well right now, there's a ton of improvement left in us and he's one of the main examples of this.

He's actually playing JUST as well as 08, if not better.

Problem is, he's kicking badly.

He's doing the team things, putting pressure on, taking marks, assisting in goals. It's all great.

But since Caracella has tried to make him adjust his grip on the ball, both he AND Jack can't kick straight anymore.

guy in crowd yeterday: "Medhurst we're trading you back for Tarrant!"

Lol, I'll pay that. Pretty funny considering Tarrants had a great year and Medders has been down and frustrating at times, 3.9 as someone pointed out over the lst four weeks.

But Medders has been slowly getting back to some form and the last few weeks have been good in him regaining some touch - at least he is still getting his hands on it. The 3.9 could probably been 7.5 or even 8.4. Hopefully he peaks in finals as he is such a weapon when he plays to his level.

I probably rate him the highest at the club for finding targets inside 50 or maybe slightly behind Davis. He is a freak and I have a feeling he will dominate finals.

He's actually playing JUST as well as 08, if not better.

Problem is, he's kicking badly.

He's doing the team things, putting pressure on, taking marks, assisting in goals. It's all great.

But since Caracella has tried to make him adjust his grip on the ball, both he AND Jack can't kick straight anymore.

He may not be playing as badly as is percieved on the whole but there is no way he is playing as well or better than last year.

He may not be playing as badly as is percieved on the whole but there is no way he is playing as well or better than last year.

Agreed, he's nowhere near that good right now... there are encouraging signs though.

What I think is that he has been given some very specific roles (along with Thomas) that means his job is not nececsarily to be the committed goal kicking forward that he may have been last year. That is not to say there is no room for his skills and confidence, but I get the feeling that he and Thomas have a lot more to do than simply playing the HFF lone wolf goal sneak role. If he is percieved as being down on form I would be suprised if that is the case internally within the coaching and playing staff.

He has a very smart footy brain and will often create plays out of nothing off his own boot. Is very much the conductor deep in th fwd line when it is congested and quick decsions are called for. Will absolutely shine come finals, that is a very easy prediction to make.

why this debate, the answer is obvious.
Had no pre-season, came back, injured an ankle badly, missed 6 weeks, admitted he was getting really sore during and after games, only now does he look to be regaining some touch.
Pretty hard to play as well as 2008 when you have no fitness base and you're hobbled by an ankle.
Big game player starting to hit his straps, a massive key to us in september in my view

actually he looks to be hitting super form, only problem is conversion. Other than that, his movement, hands and decision making seem to be peaking

gees, if we could convert we could have rested the whole team this week

Remove this Banner Ad

Medhurst....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back