Media coverage of country footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Jock Clark 2 said:
DON'T forget guys the Advertiser's color booklet outlining wot's going on in Bendigo, Loddon Valley, Heathcote, Bgo Juniors, Pioneers and the Bendigo Gliders for 2006 comes out next Friday -- March 31.
Will accompany the Advertiser of that date. Be an insert like the weekly TV guide.
As I have been told, there will be a separate page for each of the 10 BFL clubs. Graphic on the club's page will give details of the ins and outs for the player list.
PMOM will have to rush out to the local, district newsagency in the town where he lives to ensure he gets a copy !!! Hehe
WHATS THAT ALL ABOUT JOCK STRAP

HEARD this week that the Weekly Times will boost its coverage of country footy by up to one extra page per week.
Now I know that Ringo and other forum people have been critical of a few print media outlets, but the WT is stepping up to the mark.
Some weeks the coverage might be even bigger than just this one xtra page. Expect a big season preview of country footy leagues on the next couple of Wednesdays.

localfootyguru said:
Have to agree that the Border Mail is terrific in covering Country Footy. If possible, perhaps someone can tell me when their season preview supplement is coming out as I may get in touch with them to see if I can obtain a copy.

Was out last Tuesday March 28, Emailed paper today and all fixtures released next Monday.

Not sure whats happened to the O&M site. It was down for a week and since it has relaunched it seems to have lost a weeks news. There have been no updates since 9 March

Riverinafl thanks for the sites.does anyone know if the ABC are going to do a round-up this year. Crackers Keenan used to do one Saturday mornings and it was a good show covering most major leagues. I reckon the Riverina league was on that as well.

RiverinAFL said:
Not sure whats happened to the O&M site. It was down for a week and since it has relaunched it seems to have lost a weeks news. There have been no updates since 9 March

Looks like the O&M haved moved from Sportingpulse to the VCFL for all results
They have not had an update this year. Looks like the new management has made some changes. Also Club SPulse website are also starting to move to VCFL

I'm suprised by a lot of things you guys have said, particularly Shep News not sending reporters to each game. In Swan Hill (district population of around 15000), the local rag does this every week. Reporters go to each game, every round and their stories are published in the paper's football liftout each Monday. Pretty good stuff. Some good photos taken too! Footy is a religion here and when people buy the paper they want to see footy. I can only hope your local rags can realise. I have seen the Weekly Times Country Footy liftout and it is quite. Quite brief on each league but they cover most. Might learn a thing or two from another league....worth the read

Iamfooty i agree, the Swan Hill paper is excellent for that district. They used to also have a radio show on the local station each saturday morning. I have also seen the supporter and was amazed to see the amount of player awards there are. Well done :thumbsu:

iamfooty said:
I'm suprised by a lot of things you guys have said, particularly Shep News not sending reporters to each game. In Swan Hill (district population of around 15000), the local rag does this every week. Reporters go to each game, every round and their stories are published in the paper's football liftout each Monday. Pretty good stuff. Some good photos taken too! Footy is a religion here and when people buy the paper they want to see footy. I can only hope your local rags can realise. I have seen the Weekly Times Country Footy liftout and it is quite. Quite brief on each league but they cover most. Might learn a thing or two from another league....worth the read

Perhaps a reason for the Shep News not sending reporters to any games is the fact that most of their journalists play. Interestingly, none of them play for GV teams, but rather for minor league teams around the area.

Always interesting to see how the local media cover their league.

I remember seeing a copy of the North Central News, which mainly focuses on St Arnaud in the NCFL.

When they reported on a St Arnaud v Charlton match, they had two match reports, clearly labelled at the top with "St Arnaud version" and "Charlton" version.

Biased, yet transparent, journalism!

Any similar experiences?

ringo1 said:
Iamfooty i agree, the Swan Hill paper is excellent for that district. They used to also have a radio show on the local station each saturday morning. I have also seen the supporter and was amazed to see the amount of player awards there are. Well done :thumbsu:

Spot on to you too. Swan Hill's community radio station -- Smart FM -- broadcasts a game each week in the CMFL. Full match commentary with a footy show leading into the match. Great stuff, great commentary (Bruce McNavaney like) Along with the newspaper, I think the town is well catered for. Should be like that everywhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media coverage of country footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back