Media must of been in the bar

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Well done to Sandi for winning the Rossco, but I'm still scratching my head as to how he was ranked better than at least 2 other Freo players.

I have had the opinion that alot of our media experts write their articles from the bar and obviously watch b all of the game.

What more do Balla and De Boer need to do to get recognition ?. Balla is like a mossie, zooming here and there, regularly creating goals out pur pressure. De Boer did so many 1 percenters, to create goals, he was inspirational.

The media does not have a clue.

I don't think Sandi was anywhere close to best on ground, would have him maybe in the lower half of the top 10 in my opinion. Could not believe it when they read the votes out. Someone even gave Mundy 1 vote. He was ok, but still ...

I guess the Glendinning Medal judges aren't exactly known for getting it right, no matter who they are.

Would be good to see the votes. From what I can remember the "dyed in the wool" Egirl supporter Ray Wilson didn't even give Balla a vote whereas Healy gave Balla 3.

It wouldn't surprise me if Wilson just doesn't like Balla so didn't give him votes.

I don't think Sandi was anywhere close to best on ground, would have him maybe in the lower half of the top 10 in my opinion. Could not believe it when they read the votes out. Someone even gave Mundy 1 vote. He was ok, but still ...

I guess the Glendinning Medal judges aren't exactly known for getting it right, no matter who they are.

I assume you're refering to the Judd one a few years ago among others - but that wasn't as far off as today's. I mean good on the guy and I thought he had a solid game, especially in the third quarter, but there were any number of players ahead of him (Frodo, DeBoer, Pav, Broughton, Suban, Fyfe, Hase, Mundy to name a few that come immediately to mind.)

The game was over after 15 minutes, perhaps the panel made their choice based on the bookies odds and went home early.

Would be good to see the votes. From what I can remember the "dyed in the wool" Egirl supporter Ray Wilson didn't even give Balla a vote whereas Healy gave Balla 3.

It wouldn't surprise me if Wilson just doesn't like Balla so didn't give him votes.

My memory is probably wrong, but it went something like this

3. Sandi ... 2. Broughton ... 1. Mundy (Ray Wilson)
3. Sandi ... 2. Ball ... 1. ??? (Can't remember who gave these)
3. Balla ... 2. Sandi ... 1. ??? (Healy)

Broughton would have been one (or both) of the ????. Maybe someone gave a vote to Pav for one of the ???.

I think I need to watch the game again.

I know Sandi was in top form, his combinations with Mundy and Broughton in particular were first class, but I thought Ballantyne was everywhere.

I think I need to watch the game again.

I know Sandi was in top form, his combinations with Mundy and Broughton in particular were first class, but I thought Ballantyne was everywhere.

Yeah he was.
I will say, some of the service Sandi gave our mids was just sensational.

DeBoer...all kinds of win :thumbsu:

!!!!GET OUTTA HERE!!!!

Sandi trounced both Cox and Natanui so utterly and comprehensively in the ruck that they were forced to double team him in the last quarter!!!!

That's a multiple AA ruckman combining with the second coming of Jesus Christ (see St Woosh's Gospel to the Mewlingmedia, Chapter 4, Verse 1) with both being handed their asses to them FFS!!!

And then he proceeded to trounce them whenever the ball hit the deck to recapture his 2009 form where he was in the top 10 for contested possession.

Were it not for losing a contested mark to Natanui in the last and being absent on the scorecard he'd be leading Neilsen's poll for Preferred PM!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, agree Matt DB or Balla for mine. MDB did more grunt work than anyone else and Balla was brilliant throughout. Having said that Sandi did a power of work and gave the highly rated Eagles combo a pretty severe touch up.

!!!!GET OUTTA HERE!!!!

Sandi trounced both Cox and Natanui so utterly and comprehensively in the ruck that they were forced to double team him in the last quarter!!!!

That's a multiple AA ruckman combining with the second coming of Jesus Christ (see St Woosh's Gospel to the Mewlingmedia, Chapter 4, Verse 1) with both being handed their asses to them FFS!!!

And then he proceeded to trounce them whenever the ball hit the deck to recapture his 2009 form where he was in the top 10 for contested possession.

Were it not for losing a contested mark to Natanui in the last and being absent on the scorecard he'd be leading Neilsen's poll for Preferred PM!!

Spot on!!! Best a field by a mile!!!:thumbsu:

Where I was sitting the consensus was Hayden Ballantyne.

ABC commentators and stats man Ken Cassellas all seemed a bit bewildered by Sandi's selection.

Good thing Sandi is starting to get recognition he deserves.

Well done and congratulations Arron.

Pleased to see Matty De boer's performance today hope that shuts up all his critics.
Sandi a worthy winner but could have gone to any of probably 5 other players.
Just goes to show it was a good even team effort.

Personally I would have given it to DeBoer but Sandi's tapwork was absolutely sublime today. I can't remember ever seeing him tap so many clean hitouts straight down his teammates' throats in one game before.

ABC commentators and stats man Ken Cassellas all seemed a bit bewildered by Sandi's selection.

Poor old Ken, a not-so-bad journo in his day but a terrible, terrible judge of talent (and I'm not talking about Pam).

Amongst the older cricketing crowd you'll hear stories of how appalling he was, little wonder he retreated into the cocooned world of lies, lies and damn statistics.

As for the commentators, well, enough has been written about that motley crew without me having to elaborate on their oh-so-many deficiencies.

!!!!GET OUTTA HERE!!!!

Ha, ha, ha!! :D

I was also bewildered that Sandi received the Rosco medal. Moreso after finding out he played less than 3 qtrs of the game. 72% to be exact. His 3 qtrs was certainly no better than a 6 goal game or the desparation & pressure of DeBoer.

But then the judges have a track record of giving the medal to the 4-5 star rated players, never a youngin playing beyond his years.

Like everything with WA footy, you have to consider it from the Eagles point of view.

They love Cox and they love Natanui. They go to games hoping to see these guys do really well.

When their main hopes get beaten, they take notice. And this is what happened on Sunday.

If you want to understand the votes, don't ask "Who was the best performer?" Instead, ask "What would most delight / disappoint a hard core Eagles fan?'

Answer for yesterday? Sandi

I really don't think the judges get together before voting and do it on some kind of consensus.

That 3 separate judges had Sandi in the top 2 says something. He was awesome. If he had played more than his 72 mins, he would have finished with 40+ hitouts and 30 possessions. Against twin towers Cox and Naitanui, I'm not sure what more he could have done. He was dominant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media must of been in the bar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back