Roast Medical/Fitness Team

Remove this Banner Ad

So you're saying our medicos should have been able to project that a bad corky in his right thigh would transfer to a stress fracture type condition in his left shin?

I am not really blaming them as hindsight is always a wonderful thing.
However, the stress fracture came (according to Nat) from a different running style, or weight shifting. Sports scientist should be able to pick up when an athlete is changing his running style and he shouldn't train through that as there is no point (you would train different muscles than what you need when fully fit and with your normal running style).

[QUOTE="Banker, post: 41237799, member: 153385]
Yep Fyfe was mismanaged, the club seemed desperate for the minor premiership.

So you're saying our medicos should have been able to project that a bad corky in his right thigh would transfer to a stress fracture type condition in his left shin?[/QUOTE]

No.

But they shouldn't have played him when the corky was on the higher end as the club were still on track for top 2 finish, if I recall.

As I satated in previous posts the medical department and selectors have made bad calls about the injuries of players.
Mayne's ankle and Fyfe's cork as examples.
John Winn made a point on sports radio that when he was playing that he had a full preseason but on a day off he went water skiing and found that he was struggling after 1/2 an hour doing it .He realized that he was not as fit as he should be so he changed he routine and concentrated on having a football in his hands every training session because he realized that it was when you are under stress that it was more important to be able to improve your skills.

Weber and Boyle are best in the business... Mate of mine close to both in the industry. Mismanagement with fyfe my ass....fyfe would have a fair say in everything.

As for port, they were the form team last 6-8 weeks.... So the preseason fatigue not really appropriate I would have thought...

There was no mismanagement of any of our players during the season. People are using injuries as an excuse to blame something rather than accept the fact we lost.

Macca was NOT mismanaged

Fyfe was NOT mismanaged

Johnson was NOT mismanaged

You have no proof at all that they were. They did everything they could to keep Macca healthy building calf strength and conditioning his body during the preseason and season. Fyfe copped a knock from Lake in the first that caused his injury to worsen.

In fact our fitness gurus and selection team didn't select them even if they were ready. They made them wait a week or 2 first. We were very cautious with how players were exposed to game time after an injury.

This thread is a just a witch hunt looking to blame people who have invested a great deal of time into this chosen profession. They know waaaay more than us, and they have a close relationship with the players they look after.

Elvis himself said:
"I couldn't have been managed better.I took rests at the right time.I followed the program to the letter.For the body to not quite get there to September was really strongly indicating to me that I think I am past it.I am beyond doing this any more."

Elvis himself said:
"I couldn't have been managed better.I took rests at the right time.I followed the program to the letter.For the body to not quite get there to September was really strongly indicating to me that I think I am past it.I am beyond doing this any more."

What do you expect him to say? If anything he has to believe that to justify him retiring.

I'm sure he would of loved to go another year as he still has a desire to play.

What do you expect him to say? If anything he has to believe that to justify him retiring.

I'm sure he would of loved to go another year as he still has a desire to play.
I don't expect him to say anything.Believe Whoosh to be a disingenuous moron,lacking any self reflection if you wish.

I think resting Macca instead of playing him against North at Etihad made sense but at the end of the day he broke down at training 2 weeks after that game. Whether the strain was due to stress from a high workload who knows.

There was no mismanagement of any of our players during the season. People are using injuries as an excuse to blame something rather than accept the fact we lost.

Macca was NOT mismanaged

Fyfe was NOT mismanaged

Johnson was NOT mismanaged

You have no proof at all that they were. They did everything they could to keep Macca healthy building calf strength and conditioning his body during the preseason and season. Fyfe copped a knock from Lake in the first that caused his injury to worsen.

In fact our fitness gurus and selection team didn't select them even if they were ready. They made them wait a week or 2 first. We were very cautious with how players were exposed to game time after an injury.

This thread is a just a witch hunt looking to blame people who have invested a great deal of time into this chosen profession. They know waaaay more than us, and they have a close relationship with the players they look after.

I for one acknowledge that we got everything out of the players on our list for the season but our players deserve the best when it comes to people in senior positions at the club . The 2 examples I used were there for everyone to see and to prove my point after Mayne returned 1 week after he damaged his ankle he couldn't kick more than 30 meters ,he could only run in a straight line , he couldn't get off the ground in a marking contest and had the turning circle of the Queen Mary.
Fyfe"s with his corkie missed 2 weeks and then when he returned couldn't jump ,lost acceleration and had to hand pass to others at stoppages . Hats off to both for trying but the team and the players paid too high a price .
My argument is and will always be that the Medical department along with the fitness GURU must have the final say as to when a player CAN return to full training and when he will be available to play NOT the match committee .
Johnsons back injury last year was a glaring example of poor medical management . HE COULD HARDLY WALK YET HE PLAYED ON .
Players will always put their hand up to play , Fyfe showed you all that even with the pain of a broken leg he still played on . Great courage yes and without an Xray machine in the change rooms the medics didn't know it was broken BUT they still jabbed it and iced it to keep him on the ground .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back