Medical questions for Rors

Remove this Banner Ad

So I've noticed a trend over the last year or so of numerous posters asking Rors for his medical opinion regarding injuries for either players or themselves. So just thought I'd start a thread where all questions directed toward him, or anyone else with medical knowledge could be posted here (granted he's happy to answer them lol)

I'll start, as I've been recently diagnosed with this problem, and I know you seem to have background knowledge regarding the injury. I have moderate proximal patella tendinosis in my right knee, and mild in my left knee. Doctor recommends anti-inflammatorys, rest for 2-4 weeks (no running/jumping sports) and minimal kneeling.

What would your verdict be as a second opinion?

A lack of running/jumping is good, since this minimises loading on the affected tendons. However, a complete de-load will be bad because it means that you're more susceptible to aggravating your condition after said period of de-loading. So make sure you rest, but don't back off on all physical activity - ensure you keep up with low intensity work like walking.

As for kneeling? That's perfect - tendons hate being physically compressed.

Anti-inflammatories? They won't help your condition, beyond potential pain relief. It used to be thought that tendinopathy was an inflammatory process, but all the latest research indicates otherwise. There's no point pumping yourself full of NSAIDs with no effect, and you definitely should NOT take stronger anti-inflammatories like cortisone because these actually aggravate the state of disrepair in your tendons.

A lack of running/jumping is good, since this minimises loading on the affected tendons. However, a complete de-load will be bad because it means that you're more susceptible to aggravating your condition after said period of de-loading. So make sure you rest, but don't back off on all physical activity - ensure you keep up with low intensity work like walking.

As for kneeling? That's perfect - tendons hate being physically compressed.

Anti-inflammatories? They won't help your condition, beyond potential pain relief. It used to be thought that tendinopathy was an inflammatory process, but all the latest research indicates otherwise. There's no point pumping yourself full of NSAIDs with no effect, and you definitely should NOT take stronger anti-inflammatories like cortisone because these actually aggravate the state of disrepair in your tendons.
Would 1 game of basketball a week be okay, plus golf? Basically the maximum my already bad knees will allow me to do at the moment. Should I be icing after these activities?

So kneeling is good, or bad?

And I have anti-inflammatory gel. Don't bother with it?

Would 1 game of basketball a week be okay, plus golf? Basically the maximum my already bad knees will allow me to do at the moment. Should I be icing after these activities?

So kneeling is good, or bad?

And I have anti-inflammatory gel. Don't bother with it?

I really would recommend against the basketball. The biggest strain placed on a tendon is when it goes through a period of loading followed by a quick de-load (for example, a jump - you load the tendon in the seconds before the jump as your muscles contract, then all of a sudden it's completely de-loaded when you perform the jump).
Golf, on the other hand, is more favourable. However, I'd be weary of the wrenching motion placed on your front knee during a golf swing - since you have both sides affected, then staying away from Golf wouldn't be a bad idea, but especially so if you're a left hander, since your front let is your right leg.

Kneeling is bad, so it's good that your doctor told you not to do it. Sorry about the confusion.

The gel will do nothing for your tendinopathy, so I wouldn't bother with it.

****Keep in mind that all of the above advice is given under the presumption that your doctor is 100% accurate. You could have other complications that may make the above advice not as ideal, or potentially render it ineffective. For example, the anti-inflammatory gel will not help with tendinopathy, but you could have another condition (either in addition to tendinopathy, or in lieu of it) which benefits greatly from its application.

Rors I have this rash that is itchy and just won't go away - what is it? what do i do? :p:D:eek:

raw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rors, I spent 2 weeks in Vietnam over the off season and had unprotected sexual relations with what my mates called a "shemale". Now I'm pissing razor blades. Should I be worried?
Thanks in advance, Ghost.
You have chlamydia. Go to the doctor ASAP

Rors, I spent 2 weeks in Vietnam over the off season and had unprotected sexual relations with what my mates called a "shemale". Now I'm pissing razor blades. Should I be worried?
Thanks in advance, Ghost.

I really didn't need to read this

What's with people making up excuses for Rors! He was the one saying that O'Meara won't play again we shouldn't touch him with a 10 foot poll etc!! That's all fair enough when you were saying it, but now since he has actually played a game you haven't said a single word. Just curious on your opinion thats all because it was pretty strong why we should go for him etc.

You have chlamydia. Go to the doctor ASAP
Iq9AV4UjWxB7Rx4sbi2MMPBe9XqEZ2a0Eg6CGPaYrlLK_-yS6BpVr-W7l8c2ZgVW7sJlAAsduVQLf0l-QXHebgqVkRr5PNxuPeDt0BODKM0_tw=w480-h287-nc

As a bloke, he'd be unlikely to have ANY symptoms.

Disclaimer: I'm aware this is a joke, but consider this a public service announcement for active youngsters among us.

Wrap your chap peoples.

EDIT: ok, so you might or might not, but they're unlikely to be particularly obvious.

Last edited:
I've got Achilles tendinitis and ive been told to do single leg Calf raises with body weight for 5 weeks
I'm a complete impatient arseh*le so after 2 weeks I'm ready for it to be healed
It ain't happening

Calf is as tight as a fishes bumhole
Can I foam roll my calfs and shins??, been getting some killer shin splints too.

I've got Achilles tendinitis and ive been told to do single leg Calf raises with body weight for 5 weeks
I'm a complete impatient arseh*le so after 2 weeks I'm ready for it to be healed
It ain't happening

Calf is as tight as a fishes bumhole
Can I foam roll my calfs and shins??, been getting some killer shin splints too.
Calf raises?! Who advised that!?

Do not do calf raises at all with AT. If the calf is tight, calf raises will make it tighter as most emphasis goes on the contraction of the muscle so it gets stronger through shortening!!!

I advise:

Week 1 - gentle stretching, ice & foam roller daily. Self-massage of the affected area for 10mins daily.

Week 2 & 3 - same as week 1, but add mild Eccentric strengthening, ie: using both feet, stand on a step with your forefoot, lower your heels down to gently stretch the calf, then raise back up so your feet are even with the step - DO NOT RAISE UP ONTO TOES. Repeat exercise 10-15 times, perform 3-4 sets. Do this twice a day & ice Achilles afterwards if possible.

Week 4,5 & 6- all the above, but start doing single leg eccentric strengthening.

Roughly, 90% of my peeps are resolved by then, the 10% that aren't, I usually advise shockwave therapy or other training invasive therapy.

You should also get assessed by a podiatrist as you may have a rear foot issue causing your Achilles to bow in gait & running. You may require rearfoot medial or lateral heel posting to correct this & enhance your chances of resolving the issue faster

Last edited:
Iq9AV4UjWxB7Rx4sbi2MMPBe9XqEZ2a0Eg6CGPaYrlLK_-yS6BpVr-W7l8c2ZgVW7sJlAAsduVQLf0l-QXHebgqVkRr5PNxuPeDt0BODKM0_tw=w480-h287-nc

As a bloke, he'd be unlikely to have ANY symptoms.

Disclaimer: I'm aware this is a joke, but consider this a public service announcement for active youngsters among us.

Wrap your chap peoples.
Wrong. As a bloke you are likely to have very painful symptoms... It's the chick you got it from who will be the asymptomatic 'host' & has no idea she has it.... Trust me, my best mate has been 'punished' for his sleazy ways a few times. :D

Last edited:
Wrong. As a bloke you are likely to have very painful symptoms... It's the chick you got it from who will be the asymptomatic 'host' & has no idea she has it.... Trust me, my best mate has been 'punished' for his sleazy ways a few times. :D
Erroneous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back