News & Events Megaupload has been shut down

Remove this Banner Ad

I fail to see how copyright infringement conflicts with 'freedom of speech'. Copyright infringement deals with the taking of material that doesn't belong to them in the first place, and 'freedom of speech' is about giving people the freedom to say what they want. Taking other people's material is not a form of expression.

The US Government is not suing the people who took other people's material they are prosecuting the people who allegedly stored and disseminated the material.

Under the Courts' interpretation of the First Amendment, in cases of libel it must be demonstrated that publishers' had "knowledge that the information was false" or that it was published "with reckless disregard of whether it was false or not."

I'd suggest basically the same arguments could be made in the defence of MU.

Can it be demonstrated that they knew "illegal" material was being uploaded to their servers and secondly if & when they were alerted to that fact did they remove said material.

Indeed under the DCMA "Online intermediaries who host content that infringes copyright are not liable, so long as they do not know about it and take actions once the infringing content is brought to their attention"

This of course leads into this;

Not this host. It has been reported that not only did they know there was infringing material on their website, they refused to comply with removal notices, and through their advertisements they induce people to upload copyrighted material on their website.

I hope that if they are to be convicted, the proverbial book gets thrown at them.

Do you have a link as to who is making those claims?

They sound very much as if they are coming from the DOJ/copyright holders, who of course have a vested interest in portraying MU in the worst possible light.

In particular, given that MU had servers in the US, I find it hard to believe they would fail to comply with a properly executed cease & desist request.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/t...charges-megaupload-site-with-piracy.html?_r=1

The indictment against Mega-upload, which stems from a federal investigation that began two years ago, was handed down by a grand jury in Virginia two weeks ago but was not unsealed until Thursday.

It quotes extensively from correspondence among the defendants, who work for Megaupload and its related sites. The correspondence, the indictment says, shows that the operators knew the site contained unauthorized content.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/01/megaupload-indicted-shuttered/

The indictment claims it induced users to upload copyrighted works for others to download, and that it often failed to comply with removal notices from rights holders under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

This the official DOJ press release relating to the arrests/indictments.

http://www.extremetech.com/wp-conte...o-the-United-States-Department-of-Justice.pdf

It puts into perspective I think charges relating to money laundering & racketeering.

The indictment charges the defendants with conspiring to launder money by paying users through the sites’ uploader reward program and paying companies to host the infringing content
The racketeering charge follows on from that.

Basically under the RICO act, individuals who conspire to launder money or engage in criminal copyright infringement are guilty of racketeering.

RICO was designed to thwart organised crime.

The full 72 page indictment is here;
http://www.scribd.com/doc/78786408/Mega-Indictment

After reading the indictment I will admit that MU appear to be at best sloppy, but I can't say, even regarding the emails, that I see a smoking gun.

Essentially it would appear the case against 'the enterprise' will hinge on the interpretation of various laws and whether MU's actions met the appropriate degree of compliance.

Also there is the question as to whether in certain instances the defendants were acting in an individual capacity or on behalf of MU (eg uploading files, searching the database).

The DOJ obviously has a prosecutable case and certainly I'd rather not be in the defendants' shoes, but I don't think on reading the indictment that you are going to see guilty pleas (at least not without a degree of plea bargaining).

EDIT; I can see now why Rapidshare discontinued their rewards program.
And it underlines again why you need to be very careful regarding the writing and storage of emails.

Just a thought - ignoring the costs of such an exercise for a mo, what if you could have your servers stored on a satelite and stream it throughout the world via that satelite alone? Would it fall under ANY national jurisdiction? How far above the ground does 'national airspace' extend?

Or would the nation it was launched from still be liable no matter how far up the satelite is?

The internet will be controlled by governments at some stage
The shut down of megaupload right after all the failings of SOPA (not dead yet) is just another movement by the "others"
I am happy to see that people seem to be fighting back tho

You should pop into the Filesonic offices.

You'd see a bunch of pussies in there.

Hong Kong registered, servers in the Netherlands.

And according to the link complies with the safe harbor requirements.

Yeah, I was kind of shocked they just decided to wuss out. I heard it was down and thought the government must have done the same thing to them that they did MU.

I thought if anyone was going to go next, it would be Mediafire, as I heard they have servers in the US.

Just a thought - ignoring the costs of such an exercise for a mo, what if you could have your servers stored on a satelite and stream it throughout the world via that satelite alone? Would it fall under ANY national jurisdiction? How far above the ground does 'national airspace' extend?

Or would the nation it was launched from still be liable no matter how far up the satelite is?

I think ignoring the costs is a bit like someone who is a supporter of <insert name of least favourite club>asking "even though I'm 4'2" tall, have the bubonic plague, running sores over 90% of my body, am illiterate, speak by grunting, have deadly halitosis and a 2cm penis, leaving all those aside do you think I have a shot with Elle MacPherson"? :D

Now without knowing Ms MacPherson I can't rule it out but I think the likelihood is remote.

The cost of launching a satellite, the maintenance of said satellite and presumably the cost of satellite decoders would be immense and just not financially feasible I would have thought.

HOWEVER.

It is of course technically possible.

It may be legal, as space is not sovereign territory and the launching of a satellite should not in itself constitute illegality, although once the signal reaches Earth there may be issues. My guess is that satellite filesharing would probably be technically legal. But there would be questions regarding registered offices, bank accounts etc, back here on planet Earth.

Also if you were willing to already meet legal obligations, the safe harbor provisions would give you a safeguard without having to send a satellite up.

Again just a guess, but I think what may happen, at least in the short term, is that companies will follow the Rapidshare model. No rewards programs and meeting DCMA/EUCD (and perhaps future SOPA/PIPA like ) requirements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just keeps getting worse for the MU founder. :D

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugge...-founder-loses-call-duty-crown-205144239.html

Imprisoned Megaupload founder loses ‘Call of Duty’ crown

The founder of file-sharing site Megaupload isn't just considered one of the most notorious digital pirates in the world: he's also one of the best Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 players around.

(he) managed to become the number 1 ranked player in the world -- no small feat for a game that sold over 15 million copies (and no small irony, considering he ran a site responsible for sharing illegal copies of the game).

Thanks to his brush with the law, however, he's slipped to the number 2 spot, usurped by a most-definitely-not-in-jail gamer named Azaros. Seeing as how Dotcom's been denied bail it looks like Azaros' score is pretty safe for now.
He doesn't look happy about it either (or possibly about something else entirely).
kimdotcom.jpg

lol. I just looked up that guy on Modern Warfare 3 on Xbox, it's really him. He's slipped to #3 on the list now.

Also says he's been offline since 19/1. :D

Dotcom lived a hard life. While raking in cash for people uploading pirated content to his site, he sat around playing MW3 at his mansion, occasionally stepping out to drive his lambos.

Remove this Banner Ad

News & Events Megaupload has been shut down

Remove this Banner Ad

Back