Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously not ideal that they have had to go down this path, but it does make sense.

This has not been done to inconvenience us but rather to improve our safety and that being the case, so be it.

I am not one to be paranoid about these sorts of things but this is the sad reality of the times we live in.

People can whinge all they like about this and how it will inconvenience the crowds entering the venue and impact on the 'aura' of the stadium but the reality is they are small prices to pay for safety.

Desperately hope its a temporary measure whilst the threat level is high. That walk through Yarra Park is sacred and has been for 150 years. That's not hyperbole, because even though I doubt Tom Wills and co. were revelling in it, the fact that six or seven generations of footy fans have been making the exact same walk is something to hold on to and has taken on great meaning.

Letting the terrorists win I see.

Should we also have armed guards walking around like in France?

Absolute stupidity this is.
Agreed, we should change everything because we're afraid, written off as we are prepared for terrorists. If you're afraid of something happening then i guess the terrorists have made their point and have already won.

This really sucks, when i come down to the footy i have nothing to do so i wander down early and enjoy the calm of the MCG before a game, and a part of that i took for granted was the openness in that we can head down at any time. it's be great to see the sporting icon surrounded by dumb fence

Desperately hope its a temporary measure whilst the threat level is high. That walk through Yarra Park is sacred and has been for 150 years. That's not hyperbole, because even though I doubt Tom Wills and co. were revelling in it, the fact that six or seven generations of footy fans have been making the exact same walk is something to hold on to and has taken on great meaning.
The openness is definitely one of the best things about it. The ease of getting around, hanging there before the game etc.

Now it's just going to start feeling like you're heading onto a plane.

The openness is definitely one of the best things about it. The ease of getting around, hanging there before the game etc.

Now it's just going to start feeling like you're heading onto a plane.
One of my favourite memories of the G is playing cricket on the concourse with huge amount of strangers while queuing up before Boxing Day. Was such a friendly good natured experience

One of my favourite memories of the G is playing cricket on the concourse with huge amount of strangers while queuing up before Boxing Day. Was such a friendly good natured experience
Playing footy in front of the car park at half time too.

People can whinge all they like about this and how it will inconvenience the crowds entering the venue and impact on the 'aura' of the stadium but the reality is they are small prices to pay for safety.

What exactly are we at risk from if this fence isn't implemented?

To give people an idea on the fence setback. It's slightly longer than this tram(1.37m to be exact):
4WDWomS.jpgp

Not that much when you think about it

A shame no doubt, but it's better to be proactive than reactive about these things. Realistically, this place is a magnet for 40,000 people on a common basis. You have to be aware of the realities.

What exactly are we at risk from if this fence isn't implemented?

Being deliberately obtuse doesn't suit you.

Let me know when you've pulled your head out of the sand - until then I'll leave you to continue to whinge about how unjust life is because this damn fence serves no purpose other than to inconvenience you and delay your entry into the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being deliberately obtuse doesn't suit you.

Let me know when you've pulled your head out of the sand - until then I'll leave you to continue to whinge about how unjust life is because this damn fence serves no purpose other than to inconvenience you and delay your entry into the ground.

Obtuse? It's a specific question. If the fence is not implemented are we at a heightened risk of terrorist attacks on the MCG?

Obtuse? It's a specific question. If the fence is not implemented are we at a heightened risk of terrorist attacks on the MCG?

Of course not.

Obviously the only reason for the fence is to inconvenience everyone. What horrible people the powers that be are for adding a few minutes onto the time it takes to get into the ground just so they can take a small step to providing a safer environment for the hundreds of thousands of patrons who enter the stadium every weekend. Who do they think they are?

It's almost as if they've got their priorities wrong here...

article-2525602-1A2B2A3600000578-553_634x408.jpg

Anyone see the news on the afl app re crowd attendances at the mcg. 146 games including 12 grand finals attendances have been corrected..

Also the headline mentioned 3 grand finals stripped........ Then I went back to look and it was removed.

image.jpg
' 3 grand finals stripped'

Is that not a big deal to anyone, are you not interested to find out who has had grand finals stripped from the records. Maybe Hawthorn

Last edited:
Having gone to the game tonight the whole thing is a real joke. Security staff use the metal detector in such as half arsed fashion they may as well not bother. The fence looks like it could be blown over in a gust of wind.

Did anyone go to the big bash game last weekend- just curious what differences there were in security? Have they just moved the entrances or are the more strict with searching etc?

Letting the terrorists win I see.

Should we also have armed guards walking around like in France?

Absolute stupidity this is.

Don't you think armed guards walking around is a good move in France in light of recent events?

Did anyone go to the big bash game last weekend- just curious what differences there were in security? Have they just moved the entrances or are the more strict with searching etc?
I had a backpack inside a bigger backpack and just said it was my work stuff and the guy didn't even completely check. If a guy has a bag inside a bag surely you'd think '**** I should probably go through this guys stuff'.

Everyone got scanned as they went through but it was pretty half assed.

They really need to get a proper built in fencing, wouldn't be that hard to walk down a bit between gates where there's no security and jump over.

If it is a permant fence it would have to be a good one. Somthing more solid like this:
http://globalmachinery.com.au/steel-picket-fencing/

Anything less would be a total waste of time.
Wimbledon has similar gates and it adds to the mystique and tradition of the place because it's so hard to get into. Lords has complete concrete walls around the stadium. Done right, the gates could look decent and add a similar effect to the G.

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back