Game Day Melbourne Vs Collingwood, QUEEN'S BIRTHDAY a.k.a biggest game in YEARS, MCG, 9/6/14

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
melb-coll.jpg

AFL Preview

Melbourne Forecast
Today 16°C
Tonight 6°C
mostly_sunny.gif

Melbourne for Monday Partly cloudy. Light winds.

That's right, it's our biggest game in years. Purely because we've been shit for so long but whatever, it's a huge day. That's also right, I get time to make a bit of a preview.

It's the day we get to show our worth with the eyes of the football world on us. Of course, Collingwood aren't going to be pushovers. With the side they've built, they never are. Such is the depth Collingwood have, they have brought in Swan and Ball without eyebrows raised, even though Sidebottom has been suspended, and Maxwell is out injured.

For the Dees, Chris Dawes returns at the expense of Jimmy Toumpas and boy, he'll come out absolutely fired up against his old club. I feel like we're going to try and stretch Collingwood for height down back, with Gawn, Dawes and Pedersen likely to be our forward line formation.

Quite rightly, it is on.

We have not beat the Magpies since 2007 when we were also against the odds to do so. Bloke named Robbo kicked a bag of seven that day. The closest we have come since is 2010 when we lost by a point and then drew on Queen's Birthday.

Sure, the Dees will probably continue to think it's our Grand Final until we're good enough to play finals. Sure, Collingwood will probably think it's just another game for them. But you know what? I'm convinced we can come out, give the Magpies a real go, and earn more respect in our renaissance season.

Up the mighty Dees.

It will be very interesting to see where Frawley goes, I think he will play up forward with Gawn and Dawes, with Pedo to roam the ground almost as a follower and to provide a target for bail out kicks.

Biggest game in years? It's still just a H&A game worth 4 points. It won't put us into the 8 or anything. Let's just settle down a tad.

That said, Viney and Tyson to physically break Pendles and Swan. Watts to fire on the big stage. JKH to dance a merry dance around Goldsack.

I'm just hoping for more of the efforts over the last few weeks; stay in it until the end and try to snatch an upset.

I'm just hoping for more of the efforts over the last few weeks; stay in it until the end and try to snatch an upset.
This.

It seems as though following last week and leading up to today's game a lot of the footy community has realised that we're playing decent footy. I hope that given the build up and respect we are earning we don't see a game like that of round 2. Hoping to build on the consistency we have had since then. Players seem to be speaking out a lot more confidentially lately, something I haven't seen for a long time.

C'mon Dees!

This.

It seems as though following last week and leading up to today's game a lot of the footy community has realised that we're playing decent footy. I hope given the build up and respect we are earning we don't see a game like that of round 2. Hoping to build on the consistency we have had since then.

C'mon Dees!

I honestly think we and the media/public are getting ahead of ourselves. We are still a bottom 4 side playing a top 8 side today.

I honestly think we and the media/public are getting ahead of ourselves. We are still a bottom 4 side playing a top 8 side today.

Roos is building the mentality of who gives a **** about the ladder
We can beat anyone anytime if we play our game at 100% intensity
I quite like it, its not arrogance or misplaced confidence its assertiveness in us carrying out our instructions

Roos is building the mentality of who gives a **** about the ladder
We can beat anyone anytime if we play our game at 100% intensity
I quite like it, its not arrogance or misplaced confidence its assertiveness in us carrying out our instructions

Yeah I get that and I think it is absolutely paramount that the players believe that. I'm just looking at the bigger picture and our recent history. Apart from the draw a couple years back we have absolutely lost the plot during QB games, but then again this is a somewhat different playing group who know not of that. In fact Dawes would have good memories of QB games haha.

I'm just calming my own expectation as much as anything else. I know we have improved but my mind is telling me to get ready for the worst.

Yeah I get that and I think it is absolutely paramount that the players believe that. I'm just looking at the bigger picture and our recent history. Apart from the draw a couple years back we have absolutely lost the plot during QB games, but then again this is a somewhat different playing group who know not of that. In fact Dawes would have good memories of QB games haha.

I'm just calming my own expectation as much as anything else. I know we have improved but my mind is telling me to get ready for the worst.

It's hard to change that fearing the worst mindset isn't it... but I really feel confident that we will stick to the game plan and compete, and sure we might lose by a few goals, but if the efforts there and the Pies are just too good, so be it, I won't be disappointed.

As supporters we naturally are either overconfident or feel the worst
But what I like is the playing group is assertive in what it expects from itself
I dont care where collingwood are on the ladder or the history, If we get blow out of the water I will be damn disappointed and so should the playing the group

It's hard to change that fearing the worst mindset isn't it... but I really feel confident that we will stick to the game plan and compete, and sure we might lose by a few goals, but if the efforts there and the Pies are just too good, so be it, I won't be disappointed.

If we don't get spank for the rest of the year, then I think that fear may go away. I guess it's not even a fear of getting spanked; I mean we all have been through enough spankings to be able to deal with it. I think I am more worried about all the good work done so far this year being undone if we get pumped.

If we don't get spank for the rest of the year, then I think that fear may go away. I guess it's not even a fear of getting spanked; I mean we all have been through enough spankings to be able to deal with it. I think I am more worried about all the good work done so far this year being undone if we get pumped.

Yeh I know what you mean, I think under Neeld the players felt exactly as we the fans did, they ran out thinking yeh we are probably going to get smashed, so straight away they had a negative mindset. Under Roos I feel the players run out feeling positive about their game and enjoy being out there working together, it's chalk and cheese.

In a way it's good the players have been talking it up a bit this week, because now they have to back it up, and it will tell the group and coaches a lot about where we are at mentally as well as physically.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today is all about opportunity.

It's about making opportunities and taking our opportunities.

The fact that the game is against Collingwood is almost irrelevant.

However my office will be a very quiet place tomorrow should we manage to manufacture a win against the pies. :)

Honestly though, this is the most excited I've been for the Queen's Birthday game in a long time. (Or at least, since the draw we had considering we were about to win until Petterd dropped a sitter!). Every year I go into this game with hope, but this year is the first time in a long time that I go in with confidence. If we play like we did last week, we're every chance to win. Just as long as we don't fall asleep like we did last week. lol. :)

Honestly though, this is the most excited I've been for the Queen's Birthday game in a long time. (Or at least, since the draw we had considering we were about to win until Petterd dropped a sitter!). Every year I go into this game with hope, but this year is the first time in a long time that I go in with confidence. If we play like we did last week, we're every chance to win. Just as long as we don't fall asleep like we did last week. lol. :)
The Petterd game wasn't the draw mate, it was the 1 point loss in Round 2 that same year.

It's interesting

Over on the Collingwood board nobody rates us (fair enough)

However a lot of them want the pies to kick the first four goals to snuff us out.

Otherwise they are expecting a potential long slogging affair all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back