Melbourne, when is the review starting?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 9, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Something is seriously wrong at Melbourne.

Culture issues. Fitness issues. Medical staff issues.

Wild form fluctuations.

Senior coach questionable.

List management has been atrocious.

Have botched every trade since May/Lever.

Top ups have been laughable.

Straight sets finals exits.

Probably won’t even play finals this year.

Could have had a dynasty. Now just one flag wonders.

Window is shut.

Schedule the review and schedule it now.

#petracca2carlton

Last edited:

Something is seriously wrong at Melbourne.

Culture issues. Fitness issues. Medical staff issues.

Wild form fluctuations.

Senior coach questionable.

List management has been atrocious.

Have botched every trade since May/Lever.

Top ups have been laughable.

Straight sets finals exits.

Probably won’t even play finals this year.

Could have had a dynasty. Now just one flag wonders.

Window is shut.

Schedule the review and schedule it now.

#petracca2carlton

Love how this is structured like a piece of avante garde poetry.

Just need a sax solo and a bit of a ranting tone to it and you're there.

Lol, nice try. Lose by a kick to one of the form sides of the comp (as a.. what was it.. 5-1 (?) outsider) on their home deck. Played some of our best footy for the year now that we've started getting our gamestyle back to a better sweet spot. The reports of our death were an exaggeration and we'll make finals from here.

(In before "Thanks Goody" 🙂)

Lol, nice try. Lose by a kick to one of the form sides of the comp (as a.. what was it.. 5-1 (?) outsider) on their home deck. Played some of our best footy for the year now that we've started getting our gamestyle back to a better sweet spot. The reports of our death were an exaggeration and we'll make finals from here.

(In before "Thanks Goody" 🙂)
I'm pretty sure the OP had this written out before the game last night but decided to post it anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t know if they need a club review. They certainly need a forward line review. Again. The decisions & plans around the forward line are awful.

No idea what they saw in McAdam. He’s awful.

Grundy had no forward craft even after half a season.

I get Petty kicked 6 in a game last year but he hasn’t kicked 6 total this year. Not working. Why not put him in the 2s to get some confidence up? Or if they moved him back they’ve got May, Lever, Petty, Tomlinson then down back, they can tell Tom McDonald he’s a forward if he wants to stay at the club next year. McDonald has been decent down back this year but due to age demographics I’d rather have Petty as a FB than McDonald. They both can’t be defenders, so one has to be a forward, one has put together quality seasons before as a forward…

They haven’t got the flaws out of Fritsch’s game. Last night was the most role-friendly he’s ever played - still had some wild flying shots where his only focus was Bailey goal, not Melbourne goal.

I know they want to have a POD in the midfield but Pickett could be a generational small forward. You don’t need to be a midfielder to be a good player. With their strong midfield, and forward woes, why so much focus on Pickett developing as a mid?

Melksham is being relied upon as a near 33 year old ACL returner.

Literally the only thing they’ve done to try improve their forward line was Trac more time forward. Everything else they kinda see it as the forgotten line. Ball movement. Personnel.

Other than that though - Rivers is going well, McVee is a rock, Windsor should be a top 3-5 Rising Star performer this year, and Moniz-Wakefield was brilliant on debut. Howes has held down a spot for most of the year, and Tholstrup hasn’t had a real chance. Pickett is still only young. Their defence is still weathering storms.

So quite a lot of good.

I’d be going all in over the off season in the forward line though to win another with Gawn & May at the helm.

When did winning only one flag become a bad thing?

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Clearly not. But once you’ve won one, you look to the next season. Not resting on your laurels. Western Bulldogs rested on the 2016 season for years - I’d rate Melbournes 2021 best 22 a lot better than that Dogs side.

Some of the decisions made by the Dees just seem ridiculous to have hampered a side with Gawn, May, Trac, Oliver, Lever & Viney in it so badly. It shouldn’t be “well we won 1 flag, how’s that a bad thing”, it’s “how do we win our next flag - while we have a core group of elite experienced talent ”

Clearly not. But once you’ve won one, you look to the next season. Not resting on your laurels. Western Bulldogs rested on the 2016 season for years - I’d rate Melbournes 2021 best 22 a lot better than that Dogs side.

Some of the decisions made by the Dees just seem ridiculous to have hampered a side with Gawn, May, Trac, Oliver, Lever & Viney in it so badly. It shouldn’t be “well we won 1 flag, how’s that a bad thing”, it’s “how do we win our next flag - while we have a core group of elite experienced talent ”
Geelong in 22 and Collingwood were pretty good sides

Brisbane and Port are the two that have missed their chances the last 5 years

The 2016 Bulldogs team is a different case. A team that caught fire for 4-5 weeks and never finished the h&a season as a top 4 team

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

I think there are problems with their kulcha.

I think Goodwin wants to be one of the boys and the players gave gotten away with a bit much.

Losing Luke Jackson was also huge. They probably would have won another flag if he stayed.

Very solid defensively, but their mids are a battering ram. They lack classy mids who can lace out to their forwards. Likewise, their football line is full of spuds besides Fritsch. Petty is horrendous, Brown is a literal clown. JVU is the young shining light, I actually rate him.

They desperately need some classy mids in my view.

I don't speak for 00Stinger but one saying "When did winning only one flag become a bad thing?" doesn't mean they can't also be interested in us doing our best to win our next flag.

Flags are hard to win, as the OP and their team's other supporters know ;) We're still happy we won a flag. We've continued to try to win our next and just because we're yet to do so, and have just had our first significant form slump in four years, doesn't mean that we've been resting on our laurels or are at crisis/review-worthy levels (as I know you know HTPunter, given your previous post started with "Don’t know if they need a club review"), as much as a lot of you out there might wish that was the case ;)

By all means though everyone continue to have fun dreaming of our demise and we can have our own version of one of those iconic threads predicting a Geelong drop-off that never came 👍:)👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back