Membership Crisis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Other clubs don't seem to go through troughs like we do. Carlton haven't won in yonks, neither have Richmond, yet they still get more members than we do. I know they always have had more supporters overall, but strings of losses don't seem to impact much on their memberships.

Two things have to be taken into account with membership. Overall success off the club (Premierships) and average win/loss ratio for the life off the club.
Our win/loss ratio is lower than most clubs and our premierships are lower.

I'm sure if you compare ours to Collingwoods/Carltons/Essendon you will have your answer to why we have low memberships. I would say at a guess the likes off carlton/collingwood have 30,000 odd thousand real members with between 10,000 to 15,000 floaters.

We probably have 3000 to 4000 floaters who buy or don't buy depending on how we are going.

I'm one of the 8000 members who haven't signed up yet. I had been hoping to buy my membership ticket in person like I have the previous three even numbered years, but United haven't had any cheap fares this year to Melbourne. I'll probably renew mine next month online , since this month's MasterCard bill has a few hundred dollars worth of Cubs tickets on it. Now if I would have won a million dollars in Vegas in February, then... :D

Actually I wouldn't mind a phone call from David Smorgon or Adam Cooney or Brad Johnson... I'm only 15 digits away... :p

Ill put my hand up. I have been a member for many years in a row, but this year I have opted not to purchase a membership simply because I cant afford it. I have a mortgage which is putting severe stress on the household finances and we are tightening our belts in all areas, and unfortunately a bulldogs membership is one of the casualties.

When my finances change, I will of course get back to being a paid member, but thats just how it is at the moment.

I dont know how representative of the rest of the 8000 I am.

So now you know my dirty secret.

I fully appreciate what you and others are experiencing at the moment and yes a membership is simply a luxury that some cannot afford.

It's annoying when I contacted two of my Bulldog mates today who can afford it but simply haven't gotten around to it. Both will rectify that tomorrow.

My family has 5 members, we are all social members and have been for 20 years. The hope being that we make a grand final, i barely use the benefits of the social club.
The problem of the membership is as I see it the poor finish to last year. I don't mind losing if they have a go, but those last half dozen games or so turned a lot of people off.
It is going to take a lot of hard work by the onfield members of our club to redeem the confidence in the fans.
David Smorgon said as much at the end of last year, he knew that people would drop off. That is why he went ballistic at the players and coaching staff when the season ended.
I also am led to believe the online survey supported this line of thinking.

I am really understanding of the financial blight of some on this site.

I am not even sure what a membership costs. What is the cost of a full membership per month that is direct debit?

I am really understanding of the financial blight of some on this site.

I am not even sure what a membership costs. What is the cost of a full membership per month that is direct debit?
We direct debit three full memberships, a junior and a pensioner. Plus social club, it is a lot. Not sure of the cost, wifey looks after finance.

My family has 5 members, we are all social members and have been for 20 years. The hope being that we make a grand final, i barely use the benefits of the social club.
The problem of the membership is as I see it the poor finish to last year. I don't mind losing if they have a go, but those last half dozen games or so turned a lot of people off.
It is going to take a lot of hard work by the onfield members of our club to redeem the confidence in the fans.
David Smorgon said as much at the end of last year, he knew that people would drop off. That is why he went ballistic at the players and coaching staff when the season ended.

How bad are the medallions! Hardly collectors items for the future!

How bad are the medallions! Hardly collectors items for the future!
How bad are the meals in the Victory Room? Had a meal in there against the Saints and I reckon a over-cooked pie from the crap food stands there would be better. Only good thing was Tommy Williams talking about his injury, and a couple of beers.

Other clubs don't seem to go through troughs like we do. Carlton haven't won in yonks, neither have Richmond, yet they still get more members than we do. I know they always have had more supporters overall, but strings of losses don't seem to impact much on their memberships.

Disagree carlton have had sustained success over decades as have richmond[70's] the club needs an era of success not just fleeting finals appearances to obtain higher membership.I also tend to think we've lost the sympathy member which has gone to the Roos this season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on,paying a high price for last seasons limp pathetic effort:thumbsdown:

Stop all the complaining about last year that happens at most clubs but there members sign up, the majority of you will all say your a bulldog if we make the finals and do well, so stop being front runners and just join or do not comment as it is more negativety that we do not need. Get serious the meals are bad and the limp effort I pay for 5 seats every year from Perth and do not even use them the latest one I bought was for my 11 month old baby which I bought the day after she was born. You are either a bulldog or not, but if you do not join then do not rant and rave about our good wins as you are just simply part of it. Paid up Doggies member 2008. Go Doggies.

I convinced a mate a work today to sign up, he's been to every game this year and he's not even a member!

Good stuff cosmicr - if everyone persuades a friend or family member to join up those membership numbers would increase dramatically.

Stop all the complaining about last year that happens at most clubs but there members sign up, the majority of you will all say your a bulldog if we make the finals and do well, so stop being front runners and just join or do not comment as it is more negativety that we do not need. Get serious the meals are bad and the limp effort I pay for 5 seats every year from Perth and do not even use them the latest one I bought was for my 11 month old baby which I bought the day after she was born. You are either a bulldog or not, but if you do not join then do not rant and rave about our good wins as you are just simply part of it. Paid up Doggies member 2008. Go Doggies.

I agree with you Ben Mac, I am a social memeber with reserved level 1 seat and I think about $37 a month is taken out of my account. In addition I have 2 daughters that dont like going to the footy, but they have been members since the day they were born, one who is now 8. I realize some people just cannot afford it and fair enough, but for the cost of 1 packet of Cigarettes, or half a dozen beers a month, you could get a general admission ticket. Get real, if you can sacrifice something small, like a packet of **** a month, then you will get more joy out if then puffing away (I realize not all who cant buy a ticket are smokers or drinkers, apologies to those!).

I have yet to sign up. I will get around to it, although I was late last year as well.

Although in London, I still sign up as a full member. What did sh1t me last year though, was the club couldn't be bothered sending my memership pack to my london address. They sent it to my parents (in Brisbane), even though I told them of the address change.

How bad are the meals in the Victory Room? Had a meal in there against the Saints and I reckon a over-cooked pie from the crap food stands there would be better. Only good thing was Tommy Williams talking about his injury, and a couple of beers.
The Victory room has never been any good.

As many have pointed out, the socio-economic status of our supporters is well-known and is a constant barrier to the club's financial security. Interesting to note that several posters cannot afford to pay their subs when they can afford more expensive internet connections!

Last year we had come off our best year for a long time and alot of people got on board on the back of this, I believe with similar results this year the same will happen its only a matter of time.

On the flip side I know of people buying sympathy memebrships last year and are now not going to resign as it was a one off. Same situation with memberships for pets, these tend to be one offs and have contributed to the downturn this year. We need real members that are prepared to be long term members.

Dogs supporters have a long history of jumping on and off. I was a tin rattler in 1989 and it seems to be a perennial battle to get "real" people to sign up year after year. When you look at our attendances I think we have a solid base of about 18 thousand supporters that come to all the games. In our Crisis times ( just like North now) we get the media guys going out buying multiple memberships ( I remember Dermie Brereton saying he bought 3 one year ), supporters like some on this board buying extra tickets and pet and children memberships probably outnumber social club memberships. A year or two later the Dermies of the world have a new crusade to support, the multiple membership buyers have other expenses and the kids are busy doing other things with the other half and you head to the footy without them.

Last year was a record yet we still got told 5 thousand members from the previous year hadn't signed up. This year it is 8000. Who are they? Dermie and the dog probably. WE ARE NEVER GOING TO GET 32000 adult members.

BUT.... we need to look at WHY people aren't buying memberships.

Lack of confidence in sustained performance is always an excuse and financial hardship in the West is a reality but no one ever mentions the LACK of Value for Money.
What do I get for my hard earned each year that I have been dishing out since 1975?
7 home games with my reserve seat ( X 3 with my two kids included)
2 "home games" at the G minus my paid for reserved seat that I can go to without a membership ticket anyway and get a decent seat because they are always interstate teams which means no crowds
2 "home games" in Darwin and Sydney/now Canberra that I can never get to due to both financial and work reasons.

I buy a 5/16/17/18 home and away game ticket to get into all away games with all the money going to the Dogs but then we get the fake "bonus" on make up games for the interstate games I never get to which means I get in with my ticket that I've already paid for anyway.

I'm paying the same price for a reserve seat that I paid when we used to play all our home games AT HOME and I'm supposed to be happy about that.

I'll keep paying every year but the Dogs have to address this because I'm sure a lot of people would rather buy a ticket on a game by game basis rather than blow money on home tickets that don't exist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Membership Crisis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back