PAFC2004

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Bite, New York Yankees
I have noticed that other clubs have a membership "thermometer" on their web sites, indicating membership numbers. Do you think portadelaidefc.com.au should have one?

I have heard they don't like announcing membership figures though..

Re: Membership Metre

dansmith1988 said:
I reckon they should have one. But why do you think they don't want to show the membership figures for ?

Not sure... just what Iv'e been told.

PAFC2004 said:
....I have heard they don't like announcing membership figures though..
No huge secret about that although the PAFC don't publicise the fact that they don't publicise that - if you follow me.
It is known membership and season ticket sales have dropped steadily in recent years. Crowd figures show it better than any graph. I have it in my head that we peaked around 2000 (year that is, not members), ironically our worst on-field result (14th) in the AFL.
Since then we've slipped steadily. Though the figure of a 10% increase this year has been shopped around.
There are lots of threads on the main board about club memberships and you find it is really, really hard to compare with anyone but the Crows.
Addit
I'm sure the reason we don't publicise it is the same as I don't advertise getting older, slower, fatter etc. It ain't flattering

I dunno, here's another view.

The clubs most vocal about how many members they have are the ones that will make a significant loss if they don't actively goad supporters into joining. They have a bad figure up there to guilt lapsed members into rejoining.

With Port, it could well be the opposite...fans see a good number, figure the club is going ok in comparison to most of the league, and don't add.

Powerstufff said:
...I'm sure the reason we don't publicise it is the same as I don't advertise getting older, slower, fatter etc. It ain't flattering
Nothing wrong with that.
As Reg Reagan from the NRL Footy Show puts it:
If you are over 30 and you have a washboard stomach, you're Gee-a-y. It means you haven't sucked back enough beer with the boys and rather you've been sucking-off the boys, and have spent the rest of your free time doing sit-ups, aerobics, and the Oprah diet.
:D

We keep telling the club they could get anything from 1000-5000 extra members if they ever decided to put some actual effort into actually promoting themselves in the NT - unfortunately it keeps falling on deaf ears though....... :confused:

Yeah there are heaps of supporters here in central aus, but hardly any are members )i am a paid member) because there just isnt the coverage here that you get elsewhere.

I think we should play one away game up there a year. When we played the Western Bulldogs last year they packed the ground out.

Darwin is crying out for AFL footy and the AFL are doing stuff all to place a permanent fixture up there. The Western Bulldogs and Port Adelaide have expressed interest in playing there again so why isn’t the AFL listening?

Both clubs will benefit by playing up there apart from memberships people will buy merchandise of the respective clubs and also the community will benefit by people coming up for the game. Local footy will benefit because it will inspire kids to play footy and the AFL will win by promoting the game.

We’ve seen how many great players have come from NT this will encourage more players already playing the game up there to try and make it to the big time. Supporters of Port Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs that live up there will win because they will get to see there teams play once a year and also just supporters of football will win to.

I say put a permanent fixture up there involving us playing up there at least once a year against the western bulldogs. As for port Adelaide they should have a special Northern Territory membership including the standard membership and a ticket to the game. If we do so we will get more membership and a larger supporter base which means more money generated the more money the more successful this football will be will be in the future. What do think everyone?

PAFC forever said:
I think we should play one away game up there a year. When we played the Western Bulldogs last year they packed the ground out.

Darwin is crying out for AFL footy and the AFL are doing stuff all to place a permanent fixture up there. The Western Bulldogs and Port Adelaide have expressed interest in playing there again so why isn’t the AFL listening?

Both clubs will benefit by playing up there apart from memberships people will buy merchandise of the respective clubs and also the community will benefit by people coming up for the game. Local footy will benefit because it will inspire kids to play footy and the AFL will win by promoting the game.

We’ve seen how many great players have come from NT this will encourage more players already playing the game up there to try and make it to the big time. Supporters of Port Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs that live up there will win because they will get to see there teams play once a year and also just supporters of football will win to.

I say put a permanent fixture up there involving us playing up there at least once a year against the western bulldogs. As for port Adelaide they should have a special Northern Territory membership including the standard membership and a ticket to the game. If we do so we will get more membership and a larger supporter base which means more money generated the more money the more successful this football will be will be in the future. What do think everyone?

The fact is that Port arent prepared to give an AAMI stadium game to go there = no real interest in promoting Port in Darwin. You cant do one without the other.

I had a huge laugh about that last year, we want to play football in Darwin but we arent prepared to give up a home match, but the AFL should encourage other clubs give up a home match so we can play there.

I am sure that if St Kilda said hey we are trying to promote ourselves in Tasmania would you mind giving up an AAMI stadium game to play down there. I am sure that Port would tell them to stick it.

If Port want to promote themselves in Darwin let them move a Bulldogs or Hawthorn home game up there once a year. If not they are not serious about it.

Here's the thing. We already get dumped to Canberra and Tasmania, areas we don't get much mileage out of promoting in.

If the Bulldogs are going to play a game in the NT every year, who does it hurt to make that our game? They generally lose money when we play them in Melbourne otherwise, and we have a decent support base in the NT that should lift the crowds. As far as I can see, its 100% win-win.

It doesn't even have to be a `play Port there every year' deal, just that when we are scheduled to play the Dogs away, that it should be in the NT.

It just makes sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we got shafted last year as far as timing of the Darwin game is concerned. We were the ones who basically initiated the whole thing then the AFL bent us over and had their way.

For memory our proposal was to play the game while their was the mid-season break, so the club could spend a few days or maybe upto a week to do all their promotional stuff and whatnot. This would have been great for the local community, and done alot for the club in garnering supporters.

relapse said:
The fact is that Port arent prepared to give an AAMI stadium game to go there = no real interest in promoting Port in Darwin. You can't do one without the other.......
I agree, not just with this but your whole post. Just trying to keep post size down.
Porthos said:
......If the Bulldogs are going to play a game in the NT every year, who does it hurt to make that our game? They generally lose money when we play them in Melbourne otherwise, and we have a decent support base in the NT that should lift the crowds. As far as I can see, its 100% win-win.
It doesn't even have to be a `play Port there every year' deal, just that when we are scheduled to play the Dogs away, that it should be in the NT......
I think we should play them there every year. Split the money. Call it a home game for us one year, a home game for them the next. Develop it as a special fixture like Collingwood/Essendon did with the Anzac day game. Sure the numbers are small and the money likewise. But then I'd suggest our playing the Doggies at AAMI is probably a money loser for us as well.

Yeah, its not.

And we only get 11 home games a year, whereas the Dogs are already willing to move a game there -every- year. Why should we rob SA of more football when it would be unnecessary to do so?

Porthos said:
Yeah, its not.....
Sorry I'm unclear here. Do you mean AAMI games against the Doggies are not money losers?
Porthos said:
.......Why should we rob SA of more football when it would be unnecessary to do so?
SA footy fans have ample chance to see the Power play and have consistently voted with their feet - by staying home. Even more so when we play the Bulldogs.
Clubs like ours with small to medium active supporter bases need to develop other areas and here is a perfect chance. These games can be played at an embarrasingly half empty AAMI Stadium, or at a packed Footy Park (Darwin) in front of a crowd who are there because they want to be. I always thought it a good idea, and still do.

Porthos said:
Here's the thing. We already get dumped to Canberra and Tasmania, areas we don't get much mileage out of promoting in.

If the Bulldogs are going to play a game in the NT every year, who does it hurt to make that our game? They generally lose money when we play them in Melbourne otherwise, and we have a decent support base in the NT that should lift the crowds. As far as I can see, its 100% win-win.

It doesn't even have to be a `play Port there every year' deal, just that when we are scheduled to play the Dogs away, that it should be in the NT.

It just makes sense.

Yes but that is not what the issue is. The issue is that last year Port made all this big deal about wanting to play games in Darwin to promote the game and Port Adelaide there, but they refused to give up any home games to do so.

The fact of whether the bulldogs want to play games there is a irrelevant to Port Adelaide.

The issue of promoting port there is more or less dead by Port refusing to give up any home games.

Porthos said:
Yeah, its not.

And we only get 11 home games a year, whereas the Dogs are already willing to move a game there -every- year. Why should we rob SA of more football when it would be unnecessary to do so?

True if the bulldogs want to play a game in Darwin thats up to them, but that doesnt give Port any rights to claim that particular game. Whether they play hawthorn, richmond, brisbane or whoever is upto the AFL.

I am not having a go about Port, just saying that I couldnt understand why they made this big deal about trying to promote themselves in Darwin when they were prepared to actually do anything about it.

At the end of the day it doesnt come down to robbing games from SA. It comes down to whether or not Port were serious with their claim of trying to promote themselves in the NT. I am sure that most Port supporters would be happy anyway with them not playing up there and just sticking to promoting themselves in South Australia.

Powerstufff said:
Sorry I'm unclear here. Do you mean AAMI games against the Doggies are not money losers?
Don't believe so. I think we need 24k to break even, and we usually get above that.

SA footy fans have ample chance to see the Power play and have consistently voted with their feet - by staying home. Even more so when we play the Bulldogs.
Really? Thats fascinating, as I thought 20k+ people voted that they wanted to go every time. How many would we get in Darwin again?

Clubs like ours with small to medium active supporter bases need to develop other areas and here is a perfect chance. These games can be played at an embarrasingly half empty AAMI Stadium, or at a packed Footy Park (Darwin) in front of a crowd who are there because they want to be. I always thought it a good idea, and still do.
Hey, good for you.

relapse said:
Yes but that is not what the issue is. The issue is that last year Port made all this big deal about wanting to play games in Darwin to promote the game and Port Adelaide there, but they refused to give up any home games to do so.

The fact of whether the bulldogs want to play games there is a irrelevant to Port Adelaide.

The issue of promoting port there is more or less dead by Port refusing to give up any home games.

You mean like how Collingwood has a lovely agreement with the AFL & Sydney to play up there yearly, and they go up and do community work, all without giving up their own home game?

Or how about the Sydney and Melbourne deal for Anzac day? Its them every year at the SCG, and Melbourne don't give anything up.

I think there is something wrong with people suggesting that we emulate the Dogs, Kangas & Dees in shifting home games, instead of following a successful club like Collingwood and getting other clubs to move their home games instead.

Its baffling.

relapse said:
True if the bulldogs want to play a game in Darwin thats up to them, but that doesnt give Port any rights to claim that particular game. Whether they play hawthorn, richmond, brisbane or whoever is upto the AFL.
Sure.

Which is why Port made an offer to go up and do development if the AFL agreed they would be the fixture for more than one year. Fly-by-night promotion is pointless.

I am not having a go about Port, just saying that I couldnt understand why they made this big deal about trying to promote themselves in Darwin when they were prepared to actually do anything about it.
They were, but it had conditions. The conditions were not met, so they didn't.

Our club already goes out of its way to be model AFL lackeys - about time we got a bit of give and not just take, don't you reckon?

Porthos said:
You mean like how Collingwood has a lovely agreement with the AFL & Sydney to play up there yearly, and they go up and do community work, all without giving up their own home game?

Or how about the Sydney and Melbourne deal for Anzac day? Its them every year at the SCG, and Melbourne don't give anything up.

I think there is something wrong with people suggesting that we emulate the Dogs, Kangas & Dees in shifting home games, instead of following a successful club like Collingwood and getting other clubs to move their home games instead.

Its baffling.

The two points are this and what you seem to be omitting is that if there was a club that wanted to do this with Port it would happen.

The second point is the about collingwood sydney match etc This is beneficial for Sydney also hence the reason why it happens. It promotes as a big match with a large televised audience and large crowd which is good for the Sydney Football Club

I never said Port had to give anything up, they were the ones claiming to want to promote themselve in Darwin and were wanting two victorian teams per year to give up home matches for them to do so.

The point I made was that if they dont want to give up home games then they may as well forget trying to do any promoting in Darwin.

Porthos said:
Sure.

Which is why Port made an offer to go up and do development if the AFL agreed they would be the fixture for more than one year. Fly-by-night promotion is pointless.

They were, but it had conditions. The conditions were not met, so they didn't.

Our club already goes out of its way to be model AFL lackeys - about time we got a bit of give and not just take, don't you reckon?

Oh yeah I forgot Port Adelaide get treated so much more unfairly fom the AFL than any other interstate club. :D

Porthos said:
Its baffling.
If we draw crowds for clubs interstate, and agree to profit share on that basis, we could perhaps come up with these sorts of arrangements. Until then it's not so baffling. Collingwood v Sydney 2 yrs ago at Homebush had over 60,000 from memory. Would Port v Sydney do that?
Sydney v Melbourne is just a set fixture, like the Showdowns.
If Port v WBulldogs pulled 37,000 at AAMI it wouldn't be an issue. As it is it struggles to pull 25,000. At its best it is revenue neutral but more likely a money loser. And it gains us no support. Played in Darwin it makes us money and over the years the local kids will split into Port/Western Bulldogs supporters like my mates and I did with Port/Sturt in the 70s, coming into Adelaide to watch those games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Membership Meter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back