Bumped Memory Lane: John Greening (was "My original article about ...")

Remove this Banner Ad

Neil Mann the Collingwood coach came on club corner and when asked whether Greening would play next week, answered, “not only don’t we know if he will play again this season but he may not play again at all”. Mann revealed that the Collingwood doctors had actually feared for John’s life. One of the Collingwood club doctors stayed in hospital the entire Saturday night to be by John’s bedside. Allan Jeans fidgeted nervously in the chair next to Mann.

Here's a totally irrelevant piece of footage from 1985, years after the incident.

MG, terrific posts, thank you.

The Greening incident changed football for me. I was not there that day, but whenever I see a player fall to the ground after a collision, or worse, I feel sick and anxious. That goes for any player in any team. Thuggery has pretty much been eliminated from our game, but can still happen. I support all the AFL's efforts to protect players from head injuries, and to better manage these injuries. Apologies for the rant.

Now I'm getting confused :rolleyes:
VPs and MGs:eek:

But fantastic work Maggie Greg.
Hope you write some more

Jeans had a track record for these things with his players.

He wanted Greening stopped that day in 1972 and he succeeded.

I don't have respect for Jeans which others in football do.

He is very defensive here for a reason. Guilt.

Jeans had a track record for these things with his players.

He wanted Greening stopped that day in 1972 and he succeeded.

I don't have respect for Jeans which others in football do.

He is very defensive here for a reason. Guilt.
Thanks Greg for keeping the word out there. As you say Jeans was a tough competitor - and I don't mean that in a totally good way - and the elevation of O'Dea into the inner sanctum years later finished me as far as the Saints were concerned.

Any organization which glorifies and rewards calculated, premeditated and unprovoked king hit assualts on innocents should be disbanded and its CEO and all involved officials prosecuted to the absolute limit of the law.

Unfortunately the victim was a Collingwood player so nothing was ever going to be done, especially when you consider Jeans' occupation :mad:

Tim Boyle's father Stephen Boyle lost his sight in one eye after being punched from behind in a marking duel by Cowboy Neale at Western Oval in 1972 the week after Greening was KO'ed.

It also happened to be Malthouse's first game.

One of my best football supporter memories was being able to watch John Greening display his skills when I was a Uni student, and yes I am a Cat fan.
Possibly my favourite player until this injury.

John Greening in his comeback game June 1 1974.

Attachments

• John-Greening-2-Collingwood-Black-White-Press-photo.jpg
    John-Greening-2-Collingwood-Black-White-Press-photo.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 251
  • 69755472_10218110874417794_8220513962265935872_n.jpg
    69755472_10218110874417794_8220513962265935872_n.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 69874710_10218110873857780_748245545629253632_n.jpg
    69874710_10218110873857780_748245545629253632_n.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 55
John Greening in his comeback game June 1 1974.
Thanks Greg, bittersweet times for all of us to have witnessed his career. So wonderful to see him back on the park but he only returned to prove to himself he still could and had the courage to face up to it.

FAR too short a time in the spotlight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went Lawn Bowling yesterday at Broadbeach QLD,
The 1st thing that struck me was a sign at the far end JOHN GREENING with a magpie emblem!
Turns out he is part of the board there.
Yes and I went to the Gold Coast Races in 2003 to see him where he worked as a bookmaker. I went before the races started and had a chat and photo for about 10 minutes. I then left! He was working there with his son Troy.

Yes and I went to the Gold Coast Races in 2003 to see him where he worked as a bookmaker. I went before the races started and had a chat and photo for about 10 minutes. I then left! He was working there with his son Troy.
They speak highly of him at the bowls club everyone says his a top bloke.

That was an interesting club corner. Peter McKenna went in hard eh...Jeans looked like he had forgotten that he was off-duty... Something about coppers and lawyers... they rub shoulders with people who have questionable morals..

Remove this Banner Ad

Bumped Memory Lane: John Greening (was "My original article about ...")

Remove this Banner Ad

Back