bozza

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Eltham
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
How many years are there left to it? I thought he signed for five after 99, so that means it will expire at the end of 04.

Yet media reports I've seen recently suggest he has two years to go.

Originally posted by bozza
How many years are there left to it? I thought he signed for five after 99, so that means it will expire at the end of 04.

Yet media reports I've seen recently suggest he has two years to go.

signed in 2000 - not in 99 as everyone says. His downward slide had already begun by then - but who was to know.

I've worn the #2 on my back for 10 years now but I have to say I think Mercs is as good as finished. He is untradable with that contract as it's worth big dollars and we have had almost no return from him in 3 years. He performed well in Rd 8 (?) this year after Sheedy and the media gave him a rev up and hasn't done much since. it breaks my heart - when I was younger I used to dream of marrying him (!!) but I think the time has come to make some tough decisions. I would be more inclined to get rid of Mercs before Joey Misiti - I still think Joe has something to offer.

The very sad reality is that he has never really recovered from his brother's death.

from today's Herald Sun....

Mercuri to take pay cut
By Mark Robinson
September 30, 2003

ESSENDON has asked out-of-favour forward Mark Mercuri to take a $100,000 pay cut.

Mecuri - asked to take $100,000 cut.

And Mercuri, 29, will accept reduced terms, although it's unlikely to be the full $100,000.

Mercuri's manager Glenn Warry confirmed he received a request for a contract variation from the Bombers yesterday.

He also confirmed Mercuri took a pay cut at the start of the 2003 season.

"It's true they have spoken to him about a variation," Warry said.

"No doubt, we will negotiate a variation, but what that will be is between Essendon and Mark."

Mercuri still has two years to run on a five-year deal that was expected to earn him between $400,000 and $500,000 a season.

Because he will be listed as a veteran next year – along with skipper James Hird – only half his salary will be included in the Bombers' salary cap.

Essendon is desperate for money to satisfy player demands and to perhaps bid for an out-of-contract player, preferably a midfielder.

It could also be used to offer Mercuri's mate, Joe Misiti, another contract at Windy Hill. The Bombers are yet to open discussions with him.

Discussions are also continuing with Danny Jacobs, Mark McVeigh, Mark Bolton and Dean Rioli, while ruckman David Hille and the highly sought Dean Solomon also have lodged requests for pay increases.

Solomon, who has received a hefty offer from Richmond – thought to be in excess of $100,000 more than Essendon's offer – left for London late last week and will not return until after the trade period.

The seemingly cash-flushed Tigers are also keen on Bolton and Jacobs.

The Bombers, meanwhile, have already had preliminary discussions with Carlton ruckman Matty Allan's manager David Allison about a proposed move to Windy Hill.

Essendon chief executive Peter Jackson yesterday refused to comment on Mercuri or any player contracts.

"All negotiations are continuing," he said.

The plea to Mercuri, who was not selected for either of Essendon's two finals, was not a surprise, Warry said.

He said this pay cut would be the second in as many years for the half-forward, but refused to discuss figures.

One source said Essendon's demand was $100,000.

"He's under no obligation to take what they're proposing," Warry said. "He's contracted for the next two years."

He will discuss the new proposal with Mercuri today.

"It only came off the table today, so I've got to discuss it with Mark and in the end it's up to Mark," he said.

"Mark's a very smart bloke, a very astute businessperson as well, so he'll approach it in a very business-like manner.

"He's obviously going through a very difficult time with his football in the past year, but he's prepared to stick at it and turn his form around."

The Tigers yesterday confirmed they were chasing Solomon as well as former Bulldog Nathan Brown.

And football director Greg Miller is confident both Brown and Solomon could be accommodated under Richmond's salary cap.

"We've made a few minor changes and there'll be a few other changes happening in the next week, but I don't want to let you know who those are at this stage," Miller told afl.com.au

Herald Sun

A good decision I think - he has not given much value the past 3 years.

Say he is to earn 500k next season....and cuts it to 400k....that will only save 50k on the salary cap (or can't i count) ? Not a helluva lot freed up, but hopefully enough to keep Solly.

Be a great gesture if he agrees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mercuri's contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Back