Merged: WTF Egan?!?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Soft & Weak!

I too agree he shouldn't have got a spot this week. Or any week really.

But I don't agree he doesn't bleed black and white. It's not his fault he's not good enough. He tries hard. It's just that his best is not good enough for us.

I don't think that is necessarily true, according to all accounts he was absolutely shattered about his knee last year because he was desperate to play for us.

I think he just naturally always appears nonchalant, I don't think we should instantly assume that means he doesn't bleed black and white.

I'm worried that 'toughness' really isn't something you can train into a player, but I don't agree that he isn't good enough. He has the tools, he is a smooth mover and a lot of the time he is a beautiful user of the ball.

He was shit house tonight, yeah yeah, lets just see what he does about it now. Hopefully getting dropped will stir the bastard up a bit, I think with him confident and achieving what he actually can he could be one of the reasons we push a little closer for the flag this year

What pisses me off a lot is not that he doesn't go in hard enough, I don't think that's his role. Sure there are sometimes when he needs to but I didn't see too many of those tonight. The main things that piss me off about him is that he overrates his own strength and often in one on one contests or when trying to shephard a player he will try to go the body and just get shoved around, sometimes you've got to know your limits. Also he needs more confidence. He needs to run with the ball more if he's got it in space. Don't just go for the easy 15 metre pass, try to look for dangerous options because you do have the skills when you put your mind to it.

I am an Egan fan or at least sympathiser but I'm glad he's the flogging horse of our club rather than players who were truely dead wood. I and other Egan fans have to accept he's the exact type of player that polarizes opinion.

was shit tonight, but deep breaths everyone, lets not get too personal. the thing that really frustrates me eags is he doesn't go at the ball hard enough, and i'm not talking about your typical scott burns courageous hard at the ball efforts where if you don't do it you're soft. he can, and is being criticised for those, but more his general hard attack at the game. he reminds me a bit of a basketballer, floats around as you do, but always a bit cautious because the fear of 5 fouls is always looming. A lot can be attributed to his laconic style, but man, i feel myself saying, cmon eags, back yourself attack the ball, get it and explode! He just seems overly cautious and perhaps takes his role as and outside player to heart too much. Sometimes you have to run straight at the ball. I dunno, the guy confuses and frustrates me, and probably in the end is going to let me down for having faith in him. but that's footy.

If it's a good weather day I'd want to bring in Reid as a 3rd tall if he plays well for the reserves. I'd be careful about dropping Wakelin as Richmond have the capacity to go pretty tall in the forward line and while Brown may well get first crack on Richo we want a backup. Wakelin in the side I would imagine helps Brown out a lot too.

If it's a good weather day I'd want to bring in Reid as a 3rd tall if he plays well for the reserves. I'd be careful about dropping Wakelin as Richmond have the capacity to go pretty tall in the forward line and while Brown may well get first crack on Richo we want a backup. Wakelin in the side I would imagine helps Brown out a lot too.

Yes, lets not get ahead of ourselves with Brown.

If Richo takes him to school which is possible, we need the required back-up, and a veteran like Wakelin may well save us in that situation.

I think we definitely need to go the third tall option as we are definitely more dangerous with that set-up.

I know I harp on this, but Ben Reid is one of my favs and in a few years will be our a top 2-3 player at our club, and the sooner we get him into the side the better.

I was talking about him last night to a Carlton supporter who was just laughing at him.

Now I think Mick's got a bit of the Murli's about him.

Now I'm not racist by any means, but I'm starting to think that if he was a white kid and not aboriginal Collingwood would have got rid of him a long time ago. (Just a thought, don't shoot me down for this please)

We have a history with the aboriginal's, remember Nicky, the bone, you know where I'm going with this and Collingwood wanting to be PC and all.

Now I wasn't a fan of Leon Davis until midway through last year when he moved to the midfield, since then he's thrown his body on teh ball a number of times and I couldn't see the side playing as well without him. Egan will be nothing like Leon, he reminds me of a softer Aaron Fiora.
Yes he has a bit of ability, but you know what they say about ability?
It comes out the end of your fathers c***, its not how much you have, its what you do with what you have.

I think it is more of a top ten draft factor then anything to do with skin colour. I definitely appose the thought he is only still around because he is aboriginal.

I wouldn't have cut him yet either, he had shown enough to be worth holding on too. I doubt think we would have achieved much cutting him earlier then now anyways, apart from a failed top 10 pick.
He had done his knee last year and was given this year to prove he was worthy of a spot on the list. This year will determine that

Had every chance to redeem himself in the last qtr. by laying tackles and applying pressure, but what did he do.......nothing!! He deliberately avioded having to lay a tackle on several occasions buy slowing down as he approached the player with the ball, guarding the ball carrier rather than at least trying to tackle or apply some pressure.

I've never excpected him to back into packs or even run straight at the loose footy. But if ur not going to tackle or even apply pressure in the final term of a game like that, you do not have a place at collingwood. Maybe his injuries have prolonged his league career because he is yet to be truly exposed for the pea heart he is, i don't know. But what I do know is that I am off the Chris Egan bandwagon full stop!

I have been talking him up for 2 years now, think he has some great strengths, but the way we play footy we cannot afford performances like that. It cost us last night and could cost us big time in the finals.

Get him out of that side until he realises footy is a TEAM sport!

Settle Petals, two games in and Egan is having a soft run. Maybe just MM has instructed him to play that way on the outside without going in. Every team has the outside players, but if it's not Egan's real game he would have trouble "hiding" it... or he isn't quite the superstar material to get away with being a receiver.

I agree on dropping him but if he is an MM favorite he wont be dropped I think we all know that after all this time with MM.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woops thought this was regarding Medhurst pathetic attempt not to get the ball when players where throwing themselves in willingly. Cometti pulled him up on it though. You will find out in time why he will play alot of games for your VFL affiliate. Sensational skills yet such a waste of talent.:mad:
You guys guts out a game so well that players like Egan and Medders stick out like a sore thumb. You guys will go far. Great effort last night.:thumbsu:

Egans a hack, whenever he got the ball, he just looked around strait away for someone to give the handball too. Obvisvly knows his disposal is shit.

I got so pissed off at him last night, he wouldn't tackle, he just stood there staring at the player with the ball. He wouldn't go into a contest either, I can't believe some of our other players get called squibs and this bloke goes unnoticed, absolute whimp. (I doubt I would go in either but i'm not a profesional footballer)

You guys guts out a game so well that players like Egan and Medders stick out like a sore thumb. You guys will go far. Great effort last night.:thumbsu:

Oh my why thank you young man, you don't know what such praise means to us little ole souls following our lads around the country side.

And coming from a Fremantle supporter as well, you have no idea ...... the respect we have for you and your Club.

Woops thought this was regarding Medhurst pathetic attempt not to get the ball when players where throwing themselves in willingly. Cometti pulled him up on it though. You will find out in time why he will play alot of games for your VFL affiliate. Sensational skills yet such a waste of talent.:mad:

Medhurst was good last night , took overhead contested marks in the last quarter purely because he refused to give in.

Oh my why thank you young man, you don't know what such praise means to us little ole souls following our lads around the country side.

And coming from a Fremantle supporter as well, you have no idea ...... the respect we have for you and your Club.

Keh???

Normally I dont bag our own players but in this instance the criticisim is warranted. Never been a fan of Egan, even in his supposebly good year in 2006. He just isnt hard enough and doesnt do the team things such as running flat out to get a smother or tackle.

All the hype about his silky skills is nonsense as he has constantly has very poor disposal, and often goes for the cheap 15m handball. He's an outside player and really his speed and general skill is nothing special. He just isnt up to it for AFL standard and is detrimental to the whole gameplan MM has in place.

Prefer guys like Stanley, Wellingham or Illes to get a shot in front of lack luster Egan.

Had every chance to redeem himself in the last qtr. by laying tackles and applying pressure, but what did he do.......nothing!! He deliberately avioded having to lay a tackle on several occasions buy slowing down as he approached the player with the ball, guarding the ball carrier rather than at least trying to tackle or apply some pressure.

I've never excpected him to back into packs or even run straight at the loose footy. But if ur not going to tackle or even apply pressure in the final term of a game like that, you do not have a place at collingwood. Maybe his injuries have prolonged his league career because he is yet to be truly exposed for the pea heart he is, i don't know. But what I do know is that I am off the Chris Egan bandwagon full stop!

I have been talking him up for 2 years now, think he has some great strengths, but the way we play footy we cannot afford performances like that. It cost us last night and could cost us big time in the finals.

I agree with this assessment.

Egan really pissed me off last night.

Exactly, You don't chase your opponent because your "supposed to"..You chase your opponent to "catch him"....It stood out like dogs balls.......

he is useless and has to go
someone said maybe MM told him to play outside last nite
in a game like that? no way

i say when we play a few weak teams we feed him as much ball as possible, make him look good then make up an excuse why he cant play the rest of the year and trade him off
he is as handy as a spare ass

when he was on the ground we were one player down
o wait, even worse then that, he gave brisbane their first goal

i always stood up for leon (like 02,03) because i could see something there, i see nothing with egan, there were no places to hide in last nites game, u either go in for the hard ball and win it, or u dont go in and get nothing, and surprise surprise he got nothing
IMO r shaw isnt far off egan either

Remove this Banner Ad

Merged: WTF Egan?!?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back