News Merger agreement broken again

Remove this Banner Ad

First thing i would be asking is this.

Does vafa fiztroy have all fitzroys memrobelia, records, docs?

It is hard to
Define if they are or not.

Its like was the moorabbin that got kicked out of the vfa in 1966 the same as the one that rentered in 1984

First thing i would be asking is this.

Does vafa fiztroy have all fitzroys memrobelia, records, docs?

They have quite a bit..yes. Some was transferred to the Brisbane Bears as per the Deed of Arrangement.

Fitzroy also claims all records of the club stretching back to 1883.

Its like was the moorabbin that got kicked out of the vfa in 1966 the same as the one that rentered in 1984

I'm unaware of the circumstances of Moorabbin in the VFA. However the club that entered the VAFA in 2009 had the same board of directors and the same shareholders (of which I am one) as they did in 1996. The Fitzroy Football Club just no longer holds an AFL licence.

If a football club moves competitions are they different clubs as a result? So when Collingwood moved from the VFA to the VFL in 1897 did they become a new club? If a club is promoted or demoted in a league that has such a structure, are they a new club if they moved up or down?

They didn't merge into one continuing club. Who is saying this?

It's commonly known.

Is there a legitimate reason why Fitzroy Football Club in the VAFA is not the same club that once held a licence to compete in the AFL competition?

Because it merged with the Brisbane Bears.

But tell me something, if VAFA Fitzroy supporters on BigFooty don't think they merged and think the VAFA Fitzroy is the real Fitzroy, why do most of these same supporters remotely give a shit whether Brisbane change their lion design or wear red or how many games they play in Victoria?

It's commonly known.

By who? Brisbane Lions claim they are a new club formed in 1997. The AFL says the Brisbane Lions were formed in 1987. Fitzroy and the Bears didn't merge into one continuing club.

Because it merged with the Brisbane Bears.

Have you read the Deed of Arrangement? There was no merger. Brisbane won the right to assume Fitzroy's AFL identity in the AFL so they could acquire a Melbourne support base. It is called a "merger" because the Bears merged or more accurately 'incorporated' Fitzroy's identity into their own. The Deed clearly states that Fitzroy will continue on in its own right.

But tell me something, if VAFA Fitzroy supporters on BigFooty don't think they merged and think the VAFA Fitzroy is the real Fitzroy, why do most of these same supporters remotely give a shit whether Brisbane change their lion design or wear red or how many games they play in Victoria?

Because there is an agreement between the Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Football Club Ltd. (trading as the Brisbane Lions) and the Fitzroy Football Club Ltd. (that now fields teams in the VAFA) that Fitzroy supporters want kept. Some Fitzroy supporters want to support a team in the AFL and while some have moved to other Melbourne based clubs, others have chosen to support the Brisbane Lions because out of all the 18 AFL clubs, they are the one that most resemble Fitzroy in identity. That still doesn't mean they are the Fitzroy Football Club, which still exists in its own right in Melbourne.

Fitzroy and the Bears didn't merge into one continuing club.

There was no merger.

The Brisbane Lions were formed on 4 July, 1996, when the AFL approved a merger between the Brisbane Bears and the Fitzroy Lions. The club was officially launched on 1 November 1996 and joined the national competition in 1997.
http://www.lions.com.au/Club/history/brisbane-lions-history/overview

inb4thatsAFLpropaganda

Do you not think it's pretty lame to be claiming Fitzroy is alive and well and in another league while also cracking the shits at the Brisbane based club when they do things that aren't 'Fitzroy'?

It's like having one slice of cake and then having another slice of cake.

Do you not think it's pretty lame to be claiming Fitzroy is alive and well and in another league while also cracking the shits at the Brisbane based club when they do things that aren't 'Fitzroy'?

Do you understand what happened in 1996?

Once again from the text of the Deed...

Definitions (page 5)

"Merged Club" means Brisbane Bears which will conduct the combined Club Operations of Fitzroy and Brisbane Bears following the Merger;

2. ARRANGEMENTS (page 6)

Except as provided in this Deed, nothing in this Deed will be construed or interpreted to mean that Brisbane Bears will assume any liability for the debts or obligations of Fitzroy or that the Brisbane Bears will have any input in the ongoing management of Fitzroy after the Merger Date.

6. BRISBANE BEARS' CHANGE OF NAME (page 10)
Brisbane Bears shall arrange for a general meeting to be held at which a special resolution will be proposed to change the company name of Brisbane Bears to Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Football Club Limited and Brisbane Bears shall use its best endeavours to obtain such approval.

(page 10)
after the end of the 1996 Season and on or before the Merger Date, Fitzroy will cease its Fitzroy Operations, terminate the membership of its Appointee of AFL (appointed pursuant to AFL's constituent documents and surrender its AFL Licence and release AFL from all claims connected with its AFL Licence and such termination and surrender.

(page 10-11)
a) The Merged Club will trade as Brisbane Lions Australian Football Club and subject to the passing of the special resolution referred to in clause 6, the Merged Club (see Definition of 'Merged Club' above) will be re-named Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Football Club Limited.

Yet there are also clauses in the Deed that in the eyes of many Fitzroy supporters still apply and have been wilfuly broken/set aside/ignored.

For example:
7.2 c) The logo of the merged club will be the Fitzroy lion logo in perpetuity;

It's like having one slice of cake and then having another slice of cake.

Them's the facts. Fitzroy Football Club still exist in their own right and are a signatory to a Deed of Arrangement with the Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Football Club (trading as the Brisbane Lions), which gives the Lions the right to use Fitzroy's AFL identity, except where copyrighted by the Fitzroy Football Club. For example the "FFC" logo that appears on Fitzroy jumpers is trademarked to the Fitzroy Football Club. Not to the Brisbane Lions.

By who? Brisbane Lions claim they are a new club formed in 1997. The AFL says the Brisbane Lions were formed in 1987. Fitzroy and the Bears didn't merge into one continuing club.

Have you read the Deed of Arrangement? There was no merger. Brisbane won the right to assume Fitzroy's AFL identity in the AFL so they could acquire a Melbourne support base. It is called a "merger" because the Bears merged or more accurately 'incorporated' Fitzroy's identity into their own. The Deed clearly states that Fitzroy will continue on in its own right.

Because there is an agreement between the Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Football Club Ltd. (trading as the Brisbane Lions) and the Fitzroy Football Club Ltd. (that now fields teams in the VAFA) that Fitzroy supporters want kept. Some Fitzroy supporters want to support a team in the AFL and while some have moved to other Melbourne based clubs, others have chosen to support the Brisbane Lions because out of all the 18 AFL clubs, they are the one that most resemble Fitzroy in identity. That still doesn't mean they are the Fitzroy Football Club, which still exists in its own right in Melbourne.

In fact as far as i know etihad stadium holds most of fitzroys memrobelia.
I have seen
It all myself very impressive

Above its good to
See the old lion being still used

In fact as far as i know etihad stadium holds most of fitzroys memrobelia.

Etihad holds some of Fitzroy's memorabilia.

I have seen
It all myself very impressive

I've seen it also. There are other substantial memorabilia collections around too.

Above its good to
See the old lion being still used

It has to be via the terms of the settlement reached between Brisbane and Fitzroy on 15th July 2010. Both logos will have to be used on certain items until 2024 including club stationary, club publications, marketing material and the Brisbane Lions' website (until 2017).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well thats a big problem the people should have stipulated in the terms of agreement in the merger

1.1 the fitzroy lion should ramain on the brisbane lions football clubs jumper.

Well thats a big problem the people should have stipulated in the terms of agreement in the merger

Which people?

The Brisbane Bears (now called the Brisbane Lions) wrote the agreement.

Fitzroy Football Club had no say in the terms of the Agreement.

The administrator of Fitzroy in 1996 signed it on behalf of Fitzroy's directors (even though it was against their will), To this day the directors of the Fitzroy Football Club are bound by the terms (even though it appears that the Brisbane Lions can ignore various terms as they wish)

Really? I read the book fitzroy & i thought dhl was involved in the merger? I remember a section about a meeting in a fitzroy pub? Was that just regarding the north merger & the admin's come in later in the peace?

Really? I read the book fitzroy & i thought dhl was involved in the merger?

Not with the Bears. The Fitzroy directors were negotiating a merger with North. The North-Fitzroy Kangaroos.

admin's come in later in the peace?

The administrator was appointed to Fitzroy after North Melbourne did not allow the settlement of Fitzroy's debt with Nauru from the monies of the merger grant.

Oh ok im
With you now. Yep well thats 100% shafted.

Btw a question you may be able to answer. Do you guys at vafa still own the rights to logos trademarks & approving of any vfl/afl fitzroy copyrights? Or is that brisbane?

Btw a question you may be able to answer. Do you guys at vafa still own the rights to logos trademarks & approving of any vfl/afl fitzroy copyrights? Or is that brisbane?

Owned by Fitzroy

Fitzroy_logo.gif

Owned by the AFL

Fitzroy-Logo.jpg

If I didn't know better I'd swear J.Brown is wearing a Brisbane Bears 1996 shirt in that picture (excluding the Paddlepop emblem and sponsors logos).
Not really, that has a bit of blue on it.

This however...
Brisbane-Lions-Mens-Traning-Singlet-Maroon%20500px.jpg

Heaven forbid the Bank of Queensland changes their logo.
Our major sponsors are now Vero and National Storage, but those training singlets were from 2011 (not in use anymore).

But our polo from last few seasons were mostly blue so only changed this season.

Our major sponsors are now Vero and National Storage, but those training singlets were from 2011 (not in use anymore).

But our polo from last few seasons were mostly blue so only changed this season.
Pardon my ignorance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back