Past Michael Rischitelli (2004-2010)

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't blame him going for extra money, but.......is it a coincidence that the two long serving players offered up to Carlton have both now left us??..

I think not.....they were hurt and upset at the time, we are now seeing the result of that..

Didn't want you to go Michael, but understand why you have......best wishes for your future..

Can't blame him going for extra money, but.......is it a coincidence that the two long serving players offered up to Carlton have both now left us??..

I think not.....they were hurt and upset at the time, we are now seeing the result of that..

Didn't want you to go Michael, but understand why you have......best wishes for your future..

You can also see it as the exact opposite. Both players were seen as Mercenary types who would leave when offered more money. Thus were offered up for trade. They then went as soon as they were offered more money elsewhere.

Both Rischa and Bradshaw have left for contracts we would definitely not have offered. If they had left for similar money/length deals (or even in the same ballpark) maybe your argument would have more weight...

Both Rischa and Bradshaw have left for contracts we would definitely not have offered. If they had left for similar money/length deals (or even in the same ballpark) maybe your argument would have more weight...

I think people don't focus on this element enough. Both were offered inflated contracts that realistically we shouldn't have matched and didn't. Some would like to think that if we hadn't attempted to trade them that their love for the club would made them turn down these better offers, but I wonder if that's not being a little naive in today's football market.

Sorry to see him go, only because of the effort the club has gone to in developing him over the last 6-7 years.

He is not a match winner, he probably played one or two blinders in his career (Rd 2 vs. the Saints 2007 IIRC, which afterward Leigh labeled him as our next All Australian).

IMO his foot skills aren't suited to the modern game, there were so many times where he just kicked under the ball and bombed it to no one's advantage. His set shots in front of goal were woeful this year, and if he does win the best and fairest it goes to show how poor our season really was. If he receives votes it will be for endeavor more than anything else.

Am I being too bitter?..

Anyway, to sum him up, I'd probably say he's a solid best 22 player, but not one of the first 10 picked in any side. He's quite easily replaceable. What would you consider Michael? An inside or an outside player? Regardless I can see Harwood being a better inside player in the future, and it can't be that hard to find an outside player with better skills.

His tackling was his strong point.

Amusing, and amazing, to read here the goodwill and best wishes for this bloke, especially in comparison to the manner of Bradshaw's departure for the same reasons- ie $$$$.

I'll definitely boo him if I can get up for a Brisbane v. GC game next year.

But I guess people aren't as filthy on Rischitelli because despite whatever we've been telling ourselves, deep down, we've known for almost 12 months that he was gonna go down this road.

Either some people are over it already, or some of us (including myself) simply don't rate Rischitelli in anywhere near the same class as Bradshaw.

He's following the $$$ and would be mad if he didn't IMO.

If the rumoured contract is close to his actual deal I simply cannot believe he is worth that amount of money. Don't get me wrong, I think Rischitelli is a good player and this season he's been very good, but wow, half a million a year ???? That's crazy!!

My goodness, what will Gary Ablett earn if he goes to the Suns :eek:

Link

Bowers is adamant the Lions’ supporters should react positively if he does win the best and fairest award. “I don’t think there’s ever a good time for these sorts of announcements, but we respect the new footy club and we respect Michael,” he said. “I think it’s good to know. Any information like this, you’d like to know sooner rather than later.”

Although the Suns and Lions are expected to be fierce rivals in years to come, Bowers praised his counterpart at the Gold Coast, Travis Auld, who phoned him to reveal Rischitelli was on the move. “It was kind of him to extend that courtesy,” Bowers said. “And Risca rang Vossy [Lions coach Michael Voss]. That was a good thing to do as well, so I think they’ve done it well.”

rischitelli2.jpg

There has been a lot of debate on what extent Rischitelli being used as trade bait last year affected his decision to leave the club.

But I also wonder to what extent it had on his stark improvement this year. Was it just his natural progression as a footballer, or did it light a fire and provide the impetus for him to take the next step?

I really can't believe how people buy into the media rubbish of him leaving because of the trade. That's what the media writes because that is the most interesting 'version' of the story available.

Riska has nearly left before, and his manager is always gunning for the best deal. Im pretty sure he would have been in his ear about the GC since they entered the competition.

Why the heck would you go to Carlton when you can get 500k a year waiting 12 months and you don't even need to relocate.

Exiting Rischitelli odds-on to win medal
Laine Clark
September 8, 2010 - 6:24AM

Rischitelli believed clearing the air with the Lions would ensure a fun night would be had by all on Thursday night. "I thought it was only best that I not leave anyone hanging, that's what I was thinking (about making the announcement)," Rischitelli told AAP.
"I think it is a good thing I have done.
"Now I am just going to enjoy the night.
"If it happens (and I win the Merrett-Murray Medal) I will be happy but if not I will still be a happy man because I will be with my mates and leaving on a good note.
"It's a win-win situation for me personally."

rischitelli3.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Bowers thinks we should "react positively" when we next face up to Rischitelli and the GC. That just confirms what sort of ******** we have at the helm of our club. How the hell do we get rid of this crap.

Tassie... what is there to gain from Bowers publicly cracking the sads about Rischa leaving?

Rischa clearly still has some very good friends at the club, what would those former teammates think if Bowers took a massive shot at Rischa over him leaving, especially considering the circumstances?

As supporters, we have the luxury of being able to have a whinge, but the club needs to be more professional than that. The club needs to build respect after this year... a public tantrum from the CEO would not accomplish that.

Rischa has exited with considerable grace... he could have had a shot at the club... he could have easily said (whether true or not) that the club's decision to trade him upset him greatly. He didn't.

Tassie... what is there to gain from Bowers publicly cracking the sads about Rischa leaving?

Rischa clearly still has some very good friends at the club, what would those former teammates think if Bowers took a massive shot at Rischa over him leaving, especially considering the circumstances?

As supporters, we have the luxury of being able to have a whinge, but the club needs to be more professional than that. The club needs to build respect after this year... a public tantrum from the CEO would not accomplish that.

Rischa has exited with considerable grace... he could have had a shot at the club... he could have easily said (whether true or not) that the club's decision to trade him upset him greatly. He didn't.

I'm not suggesting Bowers should have "a massive shot" at the departed. Only that he might better have said zip.

And I don't think Bowers wishing the departed good wishes and bon voyage does anything whatsoever to "build respect". Running a profit, building membership and winning matches does that. All running in deficit= poor level of respect. Bowers is in charge. And apparently reviewing himself. Makes sense to me.

As to the dearly departed having "exited with considerable grace"- well, to paraphrase, he would say what he did, wouldn't he. After all, he couldn't really confirm the widely held rumour that the whole thing was a done deal way back. Or that his manager is reported to have told our club not to bother making an offer. From his own words, it may be that what he has said is more to do with making him more relaxed at the Lions' big night out.

I'm not suggesting Bowers should have "a massive shot" at the departed. Only that he might better have said zip.

"The Lions CEO, clearly fuming, refused to confirm that Rischitelli's defection was prompted by last year's bungled Fev trade. Despite Rischitelli's public comments to the contrary, it is believed that, in private, bad blood exists between him and his coach, with a source close to the club confirming that blah blah blah..."

"The Lions CEO, clearly fuming, refused to confirm that Rischitelli's defection was prompted by last year's bungled Fev trade. Despite Rischitelli's public comments to the contrary, it is believed that, in private, bad blood exists between him and his coach, with a source close to the club confirming that blah blah blah..."

Bingo.

It's all about perception management. The media had the script pre-written. Bowers gave them exactly what they didn't want to hear.

I am clearly no Bowers supporter, but am happy to give him credit where it is due.

If this is what Bowers said [and you have it in quotes so presumably it is] then this just confirms my opinion of the bloke- an absolute dud.

Just how low is our club going to go now, with the Fevola thing, a crap season and the GC making every post a winner in the PR stakes.

If this is what Bowers said [and you have it in quotes so presumably it is] then this just confirms my opinion of the bloke- an absolute dud.

Just how low is our club going to go now, with the Fevola thing, a crap season and the GC making every post a winner in the PR stakes.

I think you missed my point. I was implying that that was what journos would write if Bowers had simply "said zip".

I really can't believe how people buy into the media rubbish of him leaving because of the trade. That's what the media writes because that is the most interesting 'version' of the story available.

Riska has nearly left before, and his manager is always gunning for the best deal. Im pretty sure he would have been in his ear about the GC since they entered the competition.

Why the heck would you go to Carlton when you can get 500k a year waiting 12 months and you don't even need to relocate.

I couldn't agree more. It would have been crazy for someone of his ability to knock back a six year deal @500k a year. It would also have been crazy for The Lions to offer him anything like the money he is now on. Up until this season he has shown potential but has been unable to consistantly produce good form. The kick in pants he got last year by being offered up as trade bait has been the trigger that produced this seasons results. It will be interesting to see if he can sustain those reults. He may win the B & F but he is not in out top 6 players and maybe not even in our top 10. Good luck to him, I hope he spends the money wisely.

Stark reality is Voss didn't rate him after playing Rischa out of position last season, Rischa hadn't performed at a high enough level to put his name out of trade range. I dare say in the hurly burly of Voss trying to land the Fev trade there would have been some terse words from our coach and unfortunatley the fractures that may have occured were never able to be healed.

Credit to both Voss and Rischa for being able to work professionally with each other so that the player was able to maximise his output for the team.

Geez there is a hell of a lot of tripe on this board! Bradshaw a mercenary...... um Braddles was offered much bigger contracts from rival clubs throughout his career and he knocked them back to stay the Lions. There was never go home fact for Braddles- he was raised in Albury Wodonga Region. He also has quite a large brood of kids who were qld born and bred.

Braddles was a Lion through and through. Vossy turned him around and stuck one in his back and what made it worse was he wanted Fev instead.

Lions Club Champion winners
11:05 PM Thu 09 Sep, 2010

Midfielder Michael Rischitelli received his first Merrett-Murray Medal after being voted as the Brisbane Lions’ best and fairest player for 2010 at tonight’s Club Champion dinner held at the Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre.

Rischitelli - who parted company with the Lions earlier this week - becomes just the eighth person to claim the Club’s top prize since the award was renamed following the 1996 merger. It was Rischitelli’s first appearance on the Lions’ Club Champion podium, eclipsing his previous best finish of 6th from back in 2008.

1st: Michael Rischitelli - 37.5
2nd: Simon Black - 34.5
3rd: Jonathan Brown - 28.5
4th: Luke Power - 27.5
5th: Jack Redden - 26.5
6th: Ashley McGrath - 25.5
7th: Brent Staker - 25.0
8th: Daniel Rich - 24.5
9th: Matthew Leuenberger - 24.0
10th: Todd Banfield - 23.5

Link

rischitelli.jpg

GOING-AWAY PRESENT: Lions star Michael Rischitelli, pictured with Joanne Camard, won the club best and fairest at the Brisbane Convention Centre on Thursday night. Picture: David Kapernick Source: The Courier-Mail

Jonathan Brown

Rischa had the same off-season hip surgery as I had last October and we went through rehab together. He did everything asked of him from the moment he arrived back at the club. He started in red-hot form and stayed there from round 1 to round 22, playing his role as asked by the coaching staff and giving his all every week.

As much as players knew of speculation about his future it wasn't something often spoken about. A bit of fun and banter in the locker-rooms, perhaps increasing in the last couple of weeks, but not much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Michael Rischitelli (2004-2010)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back