Michael Voss Q&A

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw this one today, a pretty good read. Mike has covered a pretty good range of topics. Comments about Ace, Polec, Harvey and especially Drummond were interesting

You can only take these things with a grain of salt but it seems from the conversation they have high hopes for Polec and still have faith in Ace.

Comments on Drummond were a bit more circumspect, will be interesting to see what happens there.

Yeah its a very interesting read. Good interview by Mike Whiting.

Kind of undercuts the article a bit though. You could read Voss's comments a couple of different ways.

The really interesting thing I got from that interview was the connection between Voss's personal experience as a player and the development of young players. This bit here:

With so many young guys who are probably expecting to play seniors, has it been hard to manage their egos and expectations?

You're right, there is an expectation when they get here they'll be playing senior football. You want them getting games in their first couple of years, more their second year than their first - if they get games in their first year that's a bonus. Realistically it's wrong to assume their first year is their first year, their second year is their first year. That's the way you have to treat it. There's so much to develop. I often tell the story to the guys that when I started my career was eventually in my fourth year. It wasn't in the first year I came in and said 'I'm playing midfield, everyone else out'. It was my fourth year. I played on a wing in my first six games, half-back for the next two years. Fourth year was when I got my opportunity.

Where you start is not necessarily where you finish. It's not until year four when you say 'This is my spot, this is where I belong, I have an identity in the group'. That's why your group can't mature until they're four-years plus. They're still learning whether they're good enough. There's a lot of teaching involved. They'll fall and you'll need to pick them up, then they'll go great and you'll have to bring them back down. You need to find that healthy balance to drive them on a weekly basis. That's why you're on the heavy people management side at this stage. We have 20-plus players that fit into that three-years-and-under category, which is significant.

Just for irish

Just on those younger guys, Lisle is here for a few more years, Aaron Cornelius is out of contract, Bryce Retzlaff was injured ? particularly Cornelius, where does he fit in? He's got so much talent but was in-and-out of the team again this season.

Ace (Cornelius) is a third tall, he's not a primary tall. At NEAFL level he'll look like a primary forward, but he's not. As a result of that, he's got to get himself fitter and that's what will cap him. If he can get himself to the next level, which he's more than capable of, we'll have a pretty handy third tall. We all believe he can get there and we all believe he can play a significant role because I think everyone has seen the talent he has. There's a lot of things we need to get right in the role we need him to play and there's certain physical requirements that need to happen for that to take place. He's probably one of those we've fought between exactly what his position is, but we don't believe he's a primary forward. He has the capacity to play minutes there, but not games there. That's something that will shape him going forward.

So there's a spot for him at the club next year?

Oh yeah, he'll be here.

It is interesting that Vossy views Harwood as a defender. It worked well this year for sure.
Personally I thought it was more of a developmental move - improve his efficiency/outside game then he would slide straight into the guts as a more complete mid... I had him down as one of the ways the team would improve their clearances/contested footy next year

He also says Harwood is staying in defense... I've got my fingers crossed for WCE Koby Stevens

He seemed to imply that any trades for midfield spots will be short term while the young mid group in the reserves develop a bit more, so Stevens probably isn't exactly what we're after.

Ace must get stronger, not just fitter IMO. But I think a lot of us are breathing easier now. Well done to Vossy for being so open given we haven't even entered the trade period yet. Maybe he wants to let people know we are well and truly in the market and not just for Tippett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I thought it was more of a developmental move - improve his efficiency/outside game then he would slide straight into the guts as a more complete mid... I had him down as one of the ways the team would improve their clearances/contested footy next year

He could be a defender for now and move the midfield in his fourth year - but for now that is his spot.

Very honest interview. Credit to Whiting for asking some insightful questions - nothing like the drivel that normally gets served up. Whiting might be an AFL Media man but what he has demonstrated is an in depth understanding of the club, its players and our challenges. It is what we should be getting from the real media.

I liked Voss's comments about Cornelius. You can almost see it as a public challenge to Ace - there's a spot for you if you do the work.

Liked his comments about development in the reserves. Again to go back to Cornelius, the point that he might be a key forward at NEAFL level but not at senior level is one that many people have been making for a couple of years now - it is good to have it confirmed. Voss also confirmed what we probably already guessed - they use the Reserves to teach players, rather than to simply give them game time.

It is also very clear what Voss thinks about the expectations on 1st year players. I liked reading that because I feel we place too much pressure on young blokes, particularly the high picks, to become overnight sensations.

Very honest interview. Credit to Whiting for asking some insightful questions - nothing like the drivel that normally gets served up. Whiting might be an AFL Media man but what he has demonstrated is an in depth understanding of the club, its players and our challenges. It is what we should be getting from the real media.

Great point. Wish we got to see a bit more of Whiting's opinion to be honest. Wouldn't be against him being part of any potential Lions club show down the track. Just a great read.

I liked Voss's comments about Cornelius. You can almost see it as a public challenge to Ace - there's a spot for you if you do the work.

This :thumbsu:

I really enjoyed reading the whole interview and like others was impressed by both the questions and the answers ... mind you when you give straight answers to questions (eg Polec, Ace etc) it makes it rather obvious when you pervaricate (eg Drummond) ...

Insightful article!

Vossy appears to know where we are, where we're headed, how we get there & with whom we get there with!

The future does look bright! :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael Voss Q&A

Remove this Banner Ad

Back