Michael Voss vs. Luke Hodge

Who is the better player and captain?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, well at least Hodge stayed clear of known dealers of steroids and HGH, unlike your superhero skipper

hird-charters-jpg.28352

"Dietary advice"

Yeah, suuuuuuuuuuuuure...

Zero relevance. Stop deflecting.

Ohhh you are one of those people... right keep assuming you know best and go drink drive and kill some because you know better than anyone else in how much you can drink
Stop being a sook I never said drink driving was ok, how many fatal car accidents have you attended? I'm a member of the CFA and have seen some horrific stuff I know more than most of the dangers but if you think slightly over .05 is dangerous especially for males you are kidding your self.

Stop being a sook I never said drink driving was ok, how many fatal car accidents have you attended? I'm a member of the CFA and have seen some horrific stuff I know more than most of the dangers but if you think slightly over .05 is dangerous especially for males you are kidding your self.
It used to be part of my job to go investigate fatalities so several actually.
It doesn't matter how many times you say it but you are factually wrong. It might take males longer to get to 0.05 but both sexes are showing effects before that. The risks and dangers are rising from around 0.02.

I can't believe the shit that people go on about on this forum. Thousands of words written about a minor drink driving incident. No accident, mind you. No car crash. Nobody hurt. Just a routine breath test and Hodge blowing a couple of points over the legal limit and receiving a small fine. Not even losing his licence. The club whacked him with an extra $5000 fine to placate the narks, but it didn't stop people on Big Footy from losing their minds and writing 300 word essays on the dangers of drink driving.

You can't even mention the name "Hodge" without receiving 3 or 4 "witty" replies about catching a taxi, or having a beer and people somehow think this is innovative, original, comedic gold. :$ And this is what passes for football discussion. It takes precedence over everything else. People don't seem to tire of it. The same shit over and over…

Imagine if Hodge was involved in a shooting/homicide outside a nightclub, or accidentally shot himself in the leg with a concealed weapon, or beat his girlfriend unconscious in an elevator… Basically anything which NFL players get caught doing every weekend over in America. People wouldn't know what to do. They would have a heart attack as they mashed their keyboard.

It makes my head hurt how lame people are on this forum. Virgins with IQs below 85 who carry a grudge because they got overlooked for the job of library monitor at school.

Jeez that's harsh. Not sure I see anyone over rating Vossy these days (especially with his coaching reputation). He is usually lumped in with Hird, Buckley, Riccuito which is fair enough I'd say no?

Not sure Hodge reached those players heights. Even Mitchell is trailing them IMO.

I think when Mitchell retires you will put him among that group. As I have said before, Mitchell doesn't look out of place alongside Dunstall, Matthews, Hudson, Platten, and Scott. So I don't hesitate putting him among Voss, Hird, Buckley, and Roo. All my opinion, but I think he belongs in both groups.

I can't believe the shit that people go on about on this forum. Thousands of words written about a minor drink driving incident. No accident, mind you. No car crash. Nobody hurt. Just a routine breath test and Hodge blowing a couple of points over the legal limit and receiving a small fine. Not even losing his licence. The club whacked him with an extra $5000 fine to placate the narks, but it didn't stop people on Big Footy from losing their minds and writing 300 word essays on the dangers of drink driving.

You can't even mention the name "Hodge" without receiving 3 or 4 "witty" replies about catching a taxi, or having a beer and people somehow think this is innovative, original, comedic gold. :$ And this is what passes for football discussion. It takes precedence over everything else. People don't seem to tire of it. The same shit over and over…

Imagine if Hodge was involved in a shooting/homicide outside a nightclub, or accidentally shot himself in the leg with a concealed weapon, or beat his girlfriend unconscious in an elevator… Basically anything which NFL players get caught doing every weekend over in America. People wouldn't know what to do. They would have a heart attack as they mashed their keyboard.

It makes my head hurt how lame people are on this forum. Virgins with IQs below 85 who carry a grudge because they got overlooked for the job of library monitor at school.
I don't care if its Hodge or anyone else, you cannot defend drink driving. You cannot say write it off as minor thing or nothing. It is a dangerous and selfish act and in that case he is lucky that no one was hurt. He should and probably be ashamed of what he did. Just as you should be for what you just posted

I don't care if its Hodge or anyone else, you cannot defend drink driving. You cannot say write it off as minor thing or nothing. It is a dangerous and selfish act and in that case he is lucky that no one was hurt. He should and probably be ashamed of what he did. Just as you should be for what you just posted

And as I've pointed out earlier, thousands of good people have made the some error of judgement. It's a bad decision impaired by the miscalculation of the amount of alcohol consumed. I'm quite sure he isn't proud of it. However to bring it up as a character assassination as it was is ridiculous and it in no way reflects on him other than a good person who made a bad decision.

If we have to denigrate this thread to character assassinations then deliberate and malicious violence takes the cake in this instance.

Is this to say you've never gone over the speed limit, texted while driving, driven your car while fatigued, etc?

Is this to say you've never gone over the speed limit, texted while driving, driven your car while fatigued, etc?
And as I've pointed out earlier, thousands of good people have made the some error of judgement. It's a bad decision impaired by the miscalculation of the amount of alcohol consumed. I'm quite sure he isn't proud of it. However to bring it up as a character assassination as it was is ridiculous and it in no way reflects on him other than a good person who made a bad decision.

If we have to denigrate this thread to character assassinations then deliberate and malicious violence takes the cake in this instance.
agree with both of you, we are very quick to judge other people. take a look at your own life before rushing to judgement. nobody is perfect. i am sure that if hodge was playing for the team they support they would be slightly more forgiving, he copped his fair whack, move on with the rest of your lives people.
the last person who was on this planet who was perfect, they crucified. that's if you believe that story.

I don't give a shit about Luke Hodge's drink driving. I literally could not give one f**k.

I reckon it's people who have no life who care about what footballers do away from the footy field.

The AFL is like a soap opera for some morons

Like I said - it makes my head hurt reading the shit that people go on about on this forum. I get an overwhelming sense of fatigue to see morons writing their lectures about drink-driving or whatever else is the "issue of the month". It's this whole "role model" shit that has caused people to lose their sanity. They think it's interesting to discuss footballers as though they are the perfect specimens of society - bigger than the game itself - everything they do away from the field must be discussed, debated, analysed… Like that Who Weekly magazine full of gossip about Hollywood celebrities. It's so f**kin' LAME

I like football, see. That's what I come here to discuss.

Last edited:

I don't think I've commented much on Hodges character to be honest. Ive never met him and probably wont. If he is/was ashamed about it and learns from what he did, then good. That probably makes him a better person. I just don't like people defending drink driving or making incorrect statements about it (like I think you did earlier).

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you were saying in the last sentence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've done a lot of stupid stuff in my life especially when I was younger. And I've definitely sped and driven when I was tired. But having worked were I have had to see the crashes, worked with the stats and studies on these factors I really make an effort to not any more. Its just not worth it. The risks just go up too much and if some thing goes wrong it really can hurt a lot more people than yourself

Well it all goes back to the first poster (not you but can't be bothered checking who) who brought it up as a means of point scoring.
Yep fair enough.

If wanting to keep it back on track I still think that Voss was a better player and captain but think the captaincy is a lot closer.

Voss lead his team to 3 consecutive premierships on the MCG when his was the interstate team up against Melbourne-based teams.

Hodge lead his team to 3 consecutive premierships on the MCG when his was the Melbourne-based team up against interstate teams.

Brisbane Threepeat/Voss >>>>> Hawthorn Threepeat/Hodge

Voss lead his team to 3 consecutive premierships on the MCG when his was the interstate team up against Melbourne-based teams.

Hodge lead his team to 3 consecutive premierships on the MCG when his was the Melbourne-based team up against interstate teams.

Brisbane Threepeat/Voss >>>>> Hawthorn Threepeat/Hodge

Interstate teams also have an advantage with their own home ground.

Play the GF in WA, and we don't have a Hawthorn Threepeat

Yeah we do. Hawthorn won the GF by 10 goals at home so they should be able to win by 8 away if you concede a home groud advantage, and there is no massive home crowd advantage in GFs anyway. Interstate teams do better than their Victorian counterparts, winning 8 out of 14 Grand Finals against them so far.

Yeah we do. Hawthorn won the GF by 10 goals at home so they should be able to win by 8 away if you concede a home groud advantage, and there is no massive home crowd advantage in GFs anyway. Interstate teams do better than their Victorian counterparts, winning 8 out of 14 Grand Finals against them so far.

Not a chance Hawthorn tears apart the West Coast defence like that at Domain Stadium. No chance in hell

Not a chance Hawthorn tears apart the West Coast defence like that at Domain Stadium. No chance in hell

Nobody gave them a chance to do it at the G either, it was going to be a close one. We were also supposed to lose against Fremantle and Sydney. So much for chance.

Interstate teams also have an advantage with their own home ground.
agree it's a great advantage, though they also have to make 10 interstate trips each year. most melbourne clubs only travel interstate a maximum of 5 sometimes 6 times a year. 2016 draw- collingwood 14 MCG, 3 etihad, 5 interstate trips. hawthorn 9 MCG, 4 aurora, 3 etihad, 4 interstate trips. richmond 14 MCG, 2 etihad, 6 interstate trips. not including aurora as an interstate trip for the hawks, is a home game and you could nearly swim there:).
that is all part of the deal for the non victorian clubs, not complaining, i usually make a trip to an interstate game each year and make a great weekend out of it. melbourne is the home of football. when it comes to arguments re. home ground advantage, i would say clubs victorian or otherwise have nothing to complain about. leave the GF at the MCG as well.
maybe someone should start a thread if they think it's an issue, no point though it's not changing in the foreseeable future.

That's nonsense. No defence has a chance when your midfield gets smashed which is what happened GF day. Could have played on any oval in the country, result would have been the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael Voss vs. Luke Hodge

Back