Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

I think getting everyone on the same page as to what we are looking for in prospective players is half the battle. There was mention of what qualities a Pies recruiter was looking for - decision making, competitiveness and quality kicks. Not sure we've ever prioritised any of that. I get the impression a good number of the clubs hierarchy still covet the contested types, SOS certainly did which is why we ended up with a glut of inside mids. Think we need to change tack from that thinking going forward.

There are 17-19 players to be resigned or sent on their way this year - about half the list.

Im talking match selection, it doesn’t take many weak links in a side to derail lots of good work, if players are playing scared or in self preservation mode then hopefully the coach can identify them and replace them with others.

Gov as an example, Im pretty sure your view is different here, last week I noticed quite a few times he didn’t pit his body on the line, he didn’t fully commit to spoiling and he made a few half arsed efforts to mark the ball, if this is due to not being confident in his body or anything else, he needs a rest.

If other players are playing selfish footy to look good or to tick certain boxes, replace them.

More generally, the coach imo is responsible for managing the mood, enthusiasm, the stress, the fun in the playing group and if players are playing scared or selfish then he is responsible for this, as he picks the side.

I am pleased by Voss this week dropping Young and SOS, not because I necessarily think they were our worst but pleased that Voss is trying something a bit different, it’s the first time Pitt and TDK will play together where SOS hasn’t played and I can’t remeber the last time we played with only one KPD, so I’m interested to see how things go.

I think getting everyone on the same page as to what we are looking for in prospective players is half the battle. There was mention of what qualities a Pies recruiter was looking for - decision making, competitiveness and quality kicks. Not sure we've ever prioritised any of that. I get the impression a good number of the clubs hierarchy still covet the contested types, SOS certainly did which is why we ended up with a glut of inside mids. Think we need to change tack from that thinking going forward.

Wasn’t Hardwick asked a similar question a few years back and said something roughly along the lines of, tackling and competitiveness were much more important than disposal? Made sense at the time for their style of play.

Wasn’t Hardwick asked a similar question a few years back and said something roughly along the lines of, tackling and competitiveness were much more important than disposal? Made sense at the time for their style of play.
Don't remember it, but matches their chaos ball style. I'd rather they can kick myself.

Really interesting that you think the vibe here doesn't reflect that of the wider supporter base.

I don't see this forum being any different and most of those on here are heavily invested emotionally in the club. Not sure our entire membership base is the same.
I don't think that this board reflects the views of the majority of ordinary supporters at all very often. That has nothing to do with people being invested or not. Most supporters are frustrated with where we are at and would like to see us winning more. Unlike here, I don't see that frustration manifesting itself into a desire to throw crap at the club and anybody involved with it at every opportunity.

I've seen commentary from people here hoping that certain players leave Carlton and go somewhere else, be successful, and stick it up, Carlton. Seriously, if you feel that way then just follow them wherever they go to cause you sure aren't invested in this Club. I have never heard any Carlton Supporter outside of this board say such stupid things.

Yup we need a dramatic list overhaul, a fresh restructuring and direction, don't mind Curly Junior's work so far and Agresta seems to be able to tap into the Swans, Im expecting Ben Ronk nest.
Not sure about Brodie has never inspired.

I don't think that this board reflects the views of the majority of ordinary supporters at all very often. That has nothing to do with people being invested or not. Most supporters are frustrated with where we are at and would like to see us winning more. Unlike here, I don't see that frustration manifesting itself into a desire to throw crap at the club and anybody involved with it at every opportunity.

I've seen commentary from people here hoping that certain players leave Carlton and go somewhere else, be successful, and stick it up, Carlton. Seriously, if you feel that way then just follow them wherever they go to cause you sure aren't invested in this Club. I have never heard any Carlton Supporter outside of this board say such stupid things.
There are so many divergent views on this board that any view reflected is from a broken mirror.

Seems like the common denominator is the people running the club not getting it right.

I believe that no matter how well a club is doing, everything should be reviewed and be put through scrutiny every year.

I'll make it known I wasn't a fan of us getting Voss. It seems like his deficiencies are game plan, structure and tactics related. I do believe though if we can get that right we would see a completely different team play and players not looking so confused out there. You get a little doubt and confusion into your head you are more likely to make errors and in a fast paced game like AFL it's even easier to do so.

From what I've heard the club knows what Voss's weaknesses are and going to rectifiy them. Don't want to say too much since I have got in trouble before 😀
Reading between your lines, the club is searching for better line coaches and maybe an experienced 'mentor'?
Did we just get the wrong assistants originally or were they the best that were prepared to work with either Voss or Carltons playing list?

Classic Justice vs Loyalty clash of values between supporters.

Unfortunately people will cling to a focal point. Lost count at how many times I heard 4 wins in 40 odd thingie

While Bolton was stubborn (most coaches are), he understood that you need habits to become habitual before the next phase/layer

We then had the spike of Teague and Voss (again most sides experience this with a change of coach), but real form always finds its natural level

Majority of coaches are in a narrow bracket of quality/talent, just just output based on the quality and balance of the list

Well winning 4 out of 43 isn’t something you can just wish away or write off as an inconvenience. With that sample size isn’t it fair to say whatever you are trying to implement is a dismal failure?

Im talking match selection, it doesn’t take many weak links in a side to derail lots of good work, if players are playing scared or in self preservation mode then hopefully the coach can identify them and replace them with others.

Gov as an example, Im pretty sure your view is different here, last week I noticed quite a few times he didn’t pit his body on the line, he didn’t fully commit to spoiling and he made a few half arsed efforts to mark the ball, if this is due to not being confident in his body or anything else, he needs a rest.

If other players are playing selfish footy to look good or to tick certain boxes, replace them.

More generally, the coach imo is responsible for managing the mood, enthusiasm, the stress, the fun in the playing group and if players are playing scared or selfish then he is responsible for this, as he picks the side.

I am pleased by Voss this week dropping Young and SOS, not because I necessarily think they were our worst but pleased that Voss is trying something a bit different, it’s the first time Pitt and TDK will play together where SOS hasn’t played and I can’t remeber the last time we played with only one KPD, so I’m interested to see how things go.
I dont disagree with anything you say really - but beggars ( Voss) have little to choose from...

just the fact of the matter and speaks to list management.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he’s lost the players
That's what I don't get. The very players that don't like him and won't play for him are the ones he refuses to drop. How does he leave dow out now with Hewett concussed, cerra probably suspended and Holland and Newman injured. I for one can't wait to see what he comes up with.

Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back