Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

I look at what Mitchell has done at Hawthorn.
Scott continues to do at Geelong

IMO their lists are no better than ours but there game style, development and ability to get the best out of players is way above ours
They are above most in the comp (even though this Hawthorn team has currently achieved nothing, nor is guaranteed to achieve anything in the future). Doesn’t mean the other 16 coaches are inept

Not a tactical genius by any means but you can't coach a team to play like Hawthorn or Geelong etc with players like ours.

They've built their lists around run, carry and foot skills.

We've built ours around contest and territory.

It would just be a 2 hour turnover fest going into the corridor and switching like they both do.

We can overpower teams when we're fit and firing but they have far more sustainable brands of footy and thus they have far less fluctuations in their form.

Desperately need to change our team mix next year or we'll continue to have to batter and bruise teams to win them in ugly scrappy sort of games.

Voss won’t be sacked. Simple

I just hope Cook & Lloyd speak with him and support him with right people.

I have seen NOTHING that makes me think he is good tactically. He also needs to be less stoic and trust the youth

We need a gun tactical assistant coach and Voss needs to be motivator big picture person

Keeping Voss away from anything to due with list management, selections, tactics and game plan may be the answer.

I look at what Mitchell has done at Hawthorn.
Scott continues to do at Geelong

IMO their lists are no better than ours but there game style, development and ability to get the best out of players is way above ours
Don't agree our list is inferior to Hawthorn and Geelong. There are a lot of players that are over rated and the list is unbalanced

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 coaches who are available and who would without doubt raise the level of our club.

1. Adam Simpson: Premiership coach who is likely going to return to VIC. May want to take a step back into either an assistant or coaching director type role. Perfect fit.
  2. Bob Murphy: left Freo and is returning home to VIC. Highly regarded at Freo where he held both ball skills and leadership roles. Both which we need massive improvement. Perfect fit.
  3. Stewy Dew: was highly rated assistant at Swans before taking GC role. Had a great tactical mind. Would love him looking after our midfield. Perfect fit.

These are the kind of additions we need to bring in. Unfortunately I don’t have much faith in Brad Lloyd.

should have started Dekoning shouldn’t have played Doc man up.
You must think we are dumb not to see it or he is and still can’t
Which means he’s desperate to maintain authority it’s a worry

His treatment of Matt Kennedy today was an utter joke.

Voss plays favourites and has since he joined. It's clear that doesn't include Kennedy, who gets shafted all over the ground (including being forced to ruck) and never actually gets to play in position in the midfield. Meanwhile Cerra, Fantasia, Durdin and others trot around at half pace and do jack shit.

Then Kennedy gets subbed out in humiliating fashion in the second quarter of a final, less than 24 hours after the birth of his child. He could have been at the hospital with his family rather than in Queensland, amd chose to sacrifice that. He will NEVER get that time back.

The irony is that Kennedy has played exactly 99 games, one short of the threshold for father/son. He has every right to walk away from the club and not come back after this... the ultimate torture would be if the child born yesterday ended up the next Nick Daicos.

But seriously, that was appalling by Voss. It's one thing to mess up the gameplan, particularly given the challenging circumstances. The insane thing is that of all the players to sub out Kennedy makes the absolute least sense because he is the one player who has played every position on the ground and who could cover dor injury. It seems almost inpossible not to see this as personal.

But treating people like that is not on in my book. We won't win premierships with that culture. If Kennedy wants out, Voss needs to follow him out the door imo

Outside of missing finals, what would need to happen for Voss to be sacked?

the way we are atm, we are tracking to waste this rebuild
We had a blip in our form, just as every other team has this season including flag favorites Sydney. As we were moving through that slump we had a mass injury crisis and never recovered.

I'm not too worried about this season, we all knew it was doomed the minute Charlie, TDK, McKay, Cerra etc went down.

I put it more down to the list we have and our injury management. Vossy doesn't strike me as a master tactician but I don't think that was the reason we fell apart.

Voss won’t be sacked. Simple

I just hope Cook & Lloyd speak with him and support him with right people.

I have seen NOTHING that makes me think he is good tactically. He also needs to be less stoic and trust the youth

We need a gun tactical assistant coach and Voss needs to be motivator big picture person
But if he’s burnt bridges which I think he has, his same old motivation lines get tiring very quickly.

Voss is poor tactically. He is so single minded about how the game should be played, but this isn't 2001 and that Lions side had far more versatility and pace than we do.

We are stuck with Vossy, so we have to keep him as a man manager, but to do that, he has to listen to assistants and adopt tactics. It feels very much Vossy's way or the highway. Hansen is supposed to be a good tactical head, so ... is he not? Is he but Voss doesn't listen? Is he, but he's not providing his best because he wants the top job?

People are way too comfortable at this club, despite achieving nothing. Voss has favourite players and he has whipping boys. Kennedy and Kemp are two of those whipping boys. Cerra, Fantasia, Durdin are favourites.

I hear the press conference was more of the same old, but I'll have to go watch it.

We had a blip in our form, just as every other team has this season including flag favorites Sydney. As we were moving through that slump we had a mass injury crisis and never recovered.

I'm not too worried about this season, we all knew it was doomed the minute Charlie, TDK, McKay, Cerra etc went down.

I put it more down to the list we have and our injury management. Vossy doesn't strike me as a master tactician but I don't think that was the reason we fell apart.
Fact is we should have done better this season
  • injury management was significantly worse than previous years
  • no real improvement in game plan
  • insufficient faith shown in the kids
  • questionable selections
  • questionable player development

Yes we had injured but where have we actually gotten better?

We continue to rely on top end talent to get us over the lines whereas other clubs manage to turn around rebuilds faster, or remain at the top for longer. Which goes back to my original question - given every season will invariably have some excuse for not doing better (injuries, umpiring decisions, suspensions etc), are we invariably stuck with Voss until the list has missed its window and we need to rebuild?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back