Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Just listened to Voss press conference again

If he seriously believes what he is saying we are in deep ahit

Second half effort was impressive
We had plans for Zorko Neale but they weren’t executed
TDK could only play a half or not play at all so we played him. Glad we did it could have been worse
Doc was desperate to play
We believe we had the game plan to win. Execution the issue
We are still a work in progress
We had many obstacles to overcome

FFS it’s on repeat every week and nothing changes
I listened to it this morning and thought the exact same thing. The TDK and Doc stuff in almost the same breath is almost comical. It feels like he has really lost his way in the last few months.

People need to get the idea of changing the coach out of their heads, it just won't happen, nor do I believe that it should. The club can focus on what it needs to. Look at the personnel around the coach and target a few good assistants. Get ready for the trade and draft periods, I'm expecting that we will have quite a few delistings.
Yes we all understand the current regime won't change the coach till at worst next year. But the speculation of it will get intense next year with a poor start as our President and CEO will be departing and their focus has already shifted to finding their successors.

3 seasons and in each season we have played good football for around 50%-60% year. The other 40%-50% had us play consistently crap football.

This playing in patches is not the football of a successful side. 2022 and 2024 we have seen the team fall away badly to either miss finals or get smacked first week. In 2023 we made the late charge but ran out of steam by the time of the prelim.

The Yin-yang effort and output is tiresome. As is the inability to adapt to modern football trends.

Time is running out for Voss unfortunately. One last crack next year, and bring in a couple decent assistant coaches and even a senior / director of assistants who has previous senior coaching experience. Get Adam Simpson ffs

People need to get the idea of changing the coach out of their heads, it just won't happen, nor do I believe that it should. The club can focus on what it needs to. Look at the personnel around the coach and target a few good assistants. Get ready for the trade and draft periods, I'm expecting that we will have quite a few delistings.
How many gab?

Yes we all understand the current regime won't change the coach till at worst next year. But the speculation of it will get intense next year with a poor start as our President and CEO will be departing and their focus has already shifted to finding their successors.
Do you think we'll start poorly next season? I don't unless we are decimated by injury in the preseason. We could also add some players to the list. The young players who had a taste of it this year will have another preseason under their belts and should be in contention for a place on the team in round 1. We have players such as SOS returning as well.
I fully expect us to have a better season next year, I can't see why we wouldn't.

How many gab?
Well, I don't know what is practical but I can probably name 6-8 off the top of my head......S.Durdin, Marchbank, Cuningham, Martin, Mirkov, Carroll.J, Carroll.M, Akuei

Well, I don't know what is practical but I can probably name 6-8 off the top of my head......S.Durdin, Marchbank, Cuningham, Martin, Mirkov, Carroll.J, Carroll.M, Akuei
Vossy and Co have a job to do. The time for sentimental decision making is well past its use by date.

As for Voss he seems set in his ways. An epiphany over the summer would be welcome. You can only go for so long trying to bend the list into your vision.

Do you think we'll start poorly next season? I don't unless we are decimated by injury in the preseason. We could also add some players to the list. The young players who had a taste of it this year will have another preseason under their belts and should be in contention for a place on the team in round 1. We have players such as SOS returning as well.
I fully expect us to have a better season next year, I can't see why we wouldn't.
I don't know. Too early to tell and don't know how ballsy list management will be and what we'll end up with this off season, how players bodies change this off-season which will be indicative of potential changes to game style and S&C changes.

At present if we're not involved in round 0 rubbish we should start our year with a resounding win (Richmond). Also we'll have a middle tier difficult draw which might be more difficult than you'd think as we're now bundled in with Dogs, Pies, Saints, Freo and * in the teams finishing 7-12th, so we're guranteed a double up with Pies and I'm going to guess since we havn't had a double up with * for a while now it's easy for AFL to slot that one in, and I'll guess the 3rd double up will be with Freo.

First year in a while we've had a healthy Cripps for the whole season. Sadly the rest of our keys players in Weitering, Walsh, TDK, Curnow, Harry have not played a full season's quota of games or 90%+ for the last 2 years. So statistically we're bound to have a few injuries present themselves.

Agree and if that happens we have burnt half of our premiership window.

So hope we get the right pieces around him to succeed.
Yep, so do I. We need to find some assistants who have had senior coaching experience and who have also experienced success. Aaron Hamill, Tim Clarke and Jordan Russell don't inspire me with confidence for starters. The rest I don't know enough about but there needs to be a review of the support staff by Cook.

Vossy and Co have a job to do. The time for sentimental decision making is well past its use by date.

As for Voss he seems set in his ways. An epiphany over the summer would be welcome. You can only go for so long trying to bend the list into your vision.
My hope is, him sitting in the darkness and solitude of the box last night was him beginning to digest the season that was and beginning the journey to that epiphany. If he doesn't arrive there soon, the journey to him being out the door will begin to accelerate pretty quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My hope is, him sitting in the darkness and solitude of the box last night was him beginning to digest the season that was and beginning the journey to that epiphany. If he doesn't arrive there soon, the journey to him being out the door will begin to accelerate pretty quickly.
Come on. From what I’ve read this is soft. Lift.

This is why I think it's really important to surround him with better assistants, It's what Richmond did with Hardwick at the end of 2016 and Geelong did with Thomson at the end of 06, both had their heads on the chopping block and they turned it around.

This is why I think it's really important to surround him with better assistants, It's what Richmond did with Hardwick at the end of 2016 and Geelong did with Thomson at the end of 06, both had their heads on the chopping block and they turned it around.
I expect/hope for a number of announcements over the next month. He’s got a new fitness guy, now for some other football department changes.

Voss is not a good coach , blind Freddie can see it ….talks a lot of shit as well which I hate … too scared and doesn’t trust his players , so stubborn which is not to the benefit of our team … his press conference was embarrassing …this list is littered with guns and what is the game plan ..bomb it down the line .. i could come up with a better plan then that .. then sits at the boundary all game and goes in the box in the last . Won’t get the sack , still made finals etc but next year he is on notice

Last edited:
Saints list is far far worse than ours. He got them to finals last year (winning 13 games as we did), he won 11 games this year again with an ordinary list and injuries with tail end of the season showing how he's adapting.

Took StKilda to 3 GF's where the mighty Grant Thomas couldn't get them to, as well as giving Freo their most successful patch in history. Ross Lyon 15 years coaching with W/L 57.16%. Voss 8 years at 45.98%. Of all current coaches with 3 completed years coaching experience Voss is 2nd last with only Nicks behind him (once Mitchell finishes his 3rd year officially will also be behind him but could end up with a pre-lim or GF appearance).
Lyon is a bridesmaid

But, compare their current record

Remember, people were claiming had gone past us

I expect/hope for a number of announcements over the next month. He’s got a new fitness guy, now for some other football department changes.

A not left field bit do we need some ‘youth’ in the Football manager position.

I hear there is talk of Jimmy Bartel or maybe a Trent Cotchin type

As posters have said , we seem a season behind the game trends and general approach to the game.

Do we do something revolutionary at that level ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think Voss is going to give JSOS a game? Wishful thinking IMO he was 100% in the “not a favorite” camp.

As stupid as it sounds, I really feel that Voss has no understanding of his players, there ability & how to get the best out of them.

It sounds ludicrous but when u look at what he’s done it’s a pretty logical conclusion.

Two Coleman medalists & has never designed any sort of structure to continually get them the ball, Crippa in the ruck, Cerra off half back, Kennedy off half back, 3 small ineffectual forwards picked at every opportunity.
Fogs roll - like literally WTF yes he provide pressure but can’t kick it further than 40m, very little goal sense, not good over head or lead & slow - name me one other player in the league with his skill set playing that roll!
Do we even come close to getting the best out of Walsh, how about Saad, he has no idea what to do with Kemp apart from drop him.

It’s everywhere, to me it really looks like there’s no clue what the players actual strengths are & accordingly no plan to utilize them

Voss is not a good coach , blind Freddie can see it ….talks a lot of shit as well which I hate … too scared and doesn’t trust his players … his press conference was embarrassing …this list is littered with guns and what is the game plan ..bomb it down the line .. i could come up with a better plan then that .. then sits at the boundary all game and goes in the box in the last .. what a loser
You lost any credibility with a comment such as that one, turn it up mate, you're not coming up with an effective game plan for an AFL side, if you could you'd be doing it already. I also very much doubt that he tells players to just bomb the ball into the forward line. At this point, you're just looking to criticise the man for anything that he does.

Come on. From what I’ve read this is soft. Lift.
I think genuinely Voss is of good character and a great guy. But I just don't think he has coach/mentor as his leading qualities and thus makes for a limited coach who in this industry only has limited time/chances to acquire such qualities.

You have coaches such as Pagan, Mick and many others who have those qualities but also get too institutionalised with their mantras and views and the industry finishes them off pretty quickly.

The honeymoon period is fully done now. There will be executive leadership changes next year and those who back Voss to the hilt will not have the power (even next year) to enforce complete support if things start to sour.

A not left field bit do we need some ‘youth’ in the Football manager position.

I hear there is talk of Jimmy Bartel or maybe a Trent Cotchin type

As posters have said , we seem a season behind the game trends and general approach to the game.

Do we do something revolutionary at that level ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m not sure what a Football Manager does at a footy club and what their influence might be. If you’re suggesting that Jimmy or Trent are better because of there footy careers I’m not sure it works that way.
I think genuinely Voss is of good character and a great guy. But I just don't think he has coach/mentor as his leading qualities and thus makes for a limited coach who in this industry only has limited time/chances to acquire such qualities.

You have coaches such as Pagan, Mick and many others who have those qualities but also get too institutionalised with their mantras and views and the industry finishes them off pretty quickly.

The honeymoon period is fully done now. There will be executive leadership changes next year and those who back Voss to the hilt will not have the power (even next year) to enforce complete support if things start to sour.
So there’s still an opportunity to turn this around.

I’m not sure what a Football Manager does at a footy club and what their influence might be. If you’re suggesting that Jimmy or Trent are better because of there footy careers I’m not sure it works that way.

So there’s still an opportunity to turn this around.
Of course, hence why I've said he has 3/4's at worst next season to validate the faith in him by the current administration in order for the next to maintain that faith.

3 years at the helm now and it has been nothing short of underwhelming and an outright failure. We've been told that we want to be a consistent home and away team, get busy getting better, all of these words. The truth of the matter is that we are consistently inconsistent. We haven't gotten close to top 2/4 in 3 years (2023 despite finishing 5th we were 10pts behind 4th and 4pts behind 8th). The thing that frustrates me the most is that our best footy is built off momentum and emotion, not system and consistency. Its ALWAYS about us bashing teams in the contest and gaining territory and then everything falls into place from that. It's just too simple and predictable and every team knows how we play. In all 3 seasons we have had winning patches where we look impenetrable, and then falter and get exposed. 2023 was just in inverse order.

And our way of playing matches up with our coach's strengths and weaknesses. Everyone universally knows that Voss excels in leadership, motivation and relationship building. All intangible qualities. However, everyone also universally knows that strategically and tactically he is nothing short of a liability. And these are the EXACT same strengths and weaknesses as his best mate bottom 10 ken. I have never and still don't understand how clubs can appoint SENIOR coaches who have no tactical acumen. I honestly believe Voss has a role in a football department but not as senior coach. His skillset is even more suitable to that of a club psychologist or something like that, due to his supposed exceptional ability to understand people and 'empower' them. But how many times is his tactical ineptitude going to cost us and put us on the back foot.

Voss IS a problem, but the problem I think is bigger than Voss. Our president and board are the ones who made the decisive and consequential error of passing up on Kingsley for this guy. Kingsley, unlike Voss, is a tactical mastermind who is incredibly intelligent, worked at multiple clubs as an assistant coach, as opposed to voss staying at just 1 club, and kingsley also worked on every different line. Voss only controlled midfield and leadership department at port. He never worked in offence/defence which is basically your turnover game, and you've seen that in the way we've played for 3 years. When the biggest strength of a coach is something intangible that should already be a given, there's already alarm bells. That's like saying understanding the law isn't the most important thing for a lawyer.

As for this president of ours, he's been a board member for over 10 years, and he somehow got promoted to president. When we appointed Teague, voss was one of the candidates in line. So what was it that made us think that Voss wasn't good enough at the end of 2019? Or what was it that Voss did in those next 2 years that made us decide to appoint him in 2021? It worries me why no one asks these questions. How can Voss not get past the 1st round of interviews when applying for the Collingwood job, yet somehow be our man? The club appointed voss knowing that tactics was his Achilles heel. And that's what stings. Because they prioritised 'leadership' and 'culture' ahead of strategy and actual tangibles. Kingsley excels in those intangible traits too, but because he is so good at the tangibles, no one has to focus on the 'leadership and culture', they take care of themselves through results and system on the field. Apparently, our board were very impressed with Kingsley and offered him to be voss' assistant. If Kingsley is a better coach than voss which he absolutely is, why wasn't Voss offered to be kingsley's assistant? Sure Voss would've probably rejected, but the principle still stands true. Oh that's right, because Voss the CHAMPION footballer is a more marketable name.

And that's all this club cares about. Marketing. And patting themselves on the back, making it look like they are busy at work when they are all doing bugger all and protecting each other. There is no accountability at our once famous club and I think us fans are a big reason for this, which allows the club to continually get away with their ineptitude. I couldn't believe how so many fans were celebrating and patting each other on the back after we scraped into 8th because another team mopped up our mistakes. And then after the hawks game, you've got Voss saying "oh you don't pass up on these sort of opportunities", referring to needing to win our last 2 games to make finals. What about the opportunity we had to consolidate top 2 and be a bonified contender which our list is. We botched that, but instead of accountability there was a victim mentality and injury excuses, and that is how we lower our standards and fall into mediocrity. Compare that to sam mitchell before the dogs game who says "if we don't win the grand final we're not gonna sit back and say what a success that was". (7 min mark).
This sort of mentality from our club is exactly what has plagued us and killed our standards for far too long, and I can't speak on behalf of every supporter but in my opinion too many of us don't push the club to have the necessary standards that we once had when we were a powerhouse.

And lastly, something I hear too often that irks me is "keep voss but get rid of his assistants". All of these assistants are guys that voss chose to bring in. Hamill, Hansen, Greaves, Jordan russell, clarke, ebert, lonergan, power all joined AFTER voss. So anyone who says we haven't supported voss that is just categorically false. So is the plan just to get tactical gurus around him to do his dirty work, so then we give voss the credit? If you are doing a group project, and one person does all the research, and the other stands in front and presents, and both do a great job, you should both be praised based on the work you done. You wouldn't praise the person who spoke for his research skills, rather, for his fluency and expression. So if we do happen to get smarter people around voss and improve tactically and strategically, we'll know who to give the credit too. People speak about voss as if he's a baby first time coach. He's had senior coaching experience. He then went to port for 8 years to supposedly fix all of his weaknesses. He is what he is. He isn't just going to magically become a master tactician when he's been in the coaching landscape for over 15 years. I really believe we had an exceptional coach in kingsley in the palm of our hands, but due to the higher ups at our club that prospect is well and truly gone, and we are all left to feel the cost of these decisions.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back