Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

3 years at the helm now and it has been nothing short of underwhelming and an outright failure. We've been told that we want to be a consistent home and away team, get busy getting better, all of these words. The truth of the matter is that we are consistently inconsistent. We haven't gotten close to top 2/4 in 3 years (2023 despite finishing 5th we were 10pts behind 4th and 4pts behind 8th). The thing that frustrates me the most is that our best footy is built off momentum and emotion, not system and consistency. Its ALWAYS about us bashing teams in the contest and gaining territory and then everything falls into place from that. It's just too simple and predictable and every team knows how we play. In all 3 seasons we have had winning patches where we look impenetrable, and then falter and get exposed. 2023 was just in inverse order.

And our way of playing matches up with our coach's strengths and weaknesses. Everyone universally knows that Voss excels in leadership, motivation and relationship building. All intangible qualities. However, everyone also universally knows that strategically and tactically he is nothing short of a liability. And these are the EXACT same strengths and weaknesses as his best mate bottom 10 ken. I have never and still don't understand how clubs can appoint SENIOR coaches who have no tactical acumen. I honestly believe Voss has a role in a football department but not as senior coach. His skillset is even more suitable to that of a club psychologist or something like that, due to his supposed exceptional ability to understand people and 'empower' them. But how many times is his tactical ineptitude going to cost us and put us on the back foot.

Voss IS a problem, but the problem I think is bigger than Voss. Our president and board are the ones who made the decisive and consequential error of passing up on Kingsley for this guy. Kingsley, unlike Voss, is a tactical mastermind who is incredibly intelligent, worked at multiple clubs as an assistant coach, as opposed to voss staying at just 1 club, and kingsley also worked on every different line. Voss only controlled midfield and leadership department at port. He never worked in offence/defence which is basically your turnover game, and you've seen that in the way we've played for 3 years. When the biggest strength of a coach is something intangible that should already be a given, there's already alarm bells. That's like saying understanding the law isn't the most important thing for a lawyer.

As for this president of ours, he's been a board member for over 10 years, and he somehow got promoted to president. When we appointed Teague, voss was one of the candidates in line. So what was it that made us think that Voss wasn't good enough at the end of 2019? Or what was it that Voss did in those next 2 years that made us decide to appoint him in 2021? It worries me why no one asks these questions. How can Voss not get past the 1st round of interviews when applying for the Collingwood job, yet somehow be our man? The club appointed voss knowing that tactics was his Achilles heel. And that's what stings. Because they prioritised 'leadership' and 'culture' ahead of strategy and actual tangibles. Kingsley excels in those intangible traits too, but because he is so good at the tangibles, no one has to focus on the 'leadership and culture', they take care of themselves through results and system on the field. Apparently, our board were very impressed with Kingsley and offered him to be voss' assistant. If Kingsley is a better coach than voss which he absolutely is, why wasn't Voss offered to be kingsley's assistant? Sure Voss would've probably rejected, but the principle still stands true. Oh that's right, because Voss the CHAMPION footballer is a more marketable name.

And that's all this club cares about. Marketing. And patting themselves on the back, making it look like they are busy at work when they are all doing bugger all and protecting each other. There is no accountability at our once famous club and I think us fans are a big reason for this, which allows the club to continentally get away with their ineptitude. I couldn't believe how so many fans were celebrating and patting each other on the back after we scraped into 8th because another team mopped up our mistakes. And then after the hawks game, you've got Voss saying "oh you don't pass up on these sort of opportunities", referring to needing to win our last 2 games to make finals. What about the opportunity we had to consolidate top 2 and be a bonified contender which our list is. We botched that, but instead of accountability there was a victim mentality and injury excuses, and that is how we lower our standards and fall into mediocrity. Compare that to sam mitchell before the dogs game who says "if we don't win the grand final we're not gonna sit back and say what a success that was". (7 min mark).
This sort of mentality from our club is exactly what has plagued us and killed our standards for far too long, and I can't speak on behalf of every supporter but in my opinion too many of us don't push the club to have the necessary standards that we once had when we were a powerhouse.

And lastly, something I hear too often that irks me is "keep voss but get rid of his assistants". All of these assistants are guys that voss chose to bring in. Hamill, Hansen, Greaves, Jordan russell, clarke, ebert, lonergan, power all joined AFTER voss. So anyone who says we haven't supported voss that is just categorically false. So is the plan just to get tactical gurus around him to do his dirty work, so then we give voss the credit? If you are doing a group project, and one person does all the research, and the other stands in front and presents, and both do a great job, you should both be praised based on the work you done. You wouldn't praise the person who spoke for his research skills, rather, for his fluency and expression. So if we do happen to get smarter people around voss and improve tactically and strategically. We'll know who to give the credit too. People speak about voss as if he's a baby first time coach. He's had senior coaching experience. He then went to port for 8 years to supposedly fix all of his weaknesses. He is what he is. He isn't just going to magically become a master tactician when he's been in the coaching landscape for over 15 years. I really believe we had an exceptional coach in kingsley in the palm of our hands, but due to the higher ups at our club that prospect is well and truly gone, and we are all left to feel the cost of these decisions.

****ing hell is that peer reviewed?

You think Voss is going to give JSOS a game? Wishful thinking IMO he was 100% in the “not a favorite” camp.

As stupid as it sounds, I really feel that Voss has no understanding of his players, there ability & how to get the best out of them.

It sounds ludicrous but when u look at what he’s done it’s a pretty logical conclusion.

Two Coleman medalists & has never designed any sort of structure to continually get them the ball, Crippa in the ruck, Cerra off half back, Kennedy off half back, 3 small ineffectual forwards picked at every opportunity.
Fogs roll - like literally WTF yes he provide pressure but can’t kick it further than 40m, very little goal sense, not good over head or lead & slow - name me one other player in the league with his skill set playing that roll!
Do we even come close to getting the best out of Walsh, how about Saad, he has no idea what to do with Kemp apart from drop him.

It’s everywhere, to me it really looks like there’s no clue what the players actual strengths are & accordingly no plan to utilize them
SOS was playing well before he was injured in 2023. Yes, I believe he will get a game if he earns it(as he did last year).
As far as the two Coleman medallists go I think we'd be best to move one of them on. We have a more balanced forward line. We have both Kemp and SOS who should be fine to play there. Kemp's not a backman.

As far as Fog goes he plays an important role and plays it well, we win the vast majority of the games he plays in. He doesn't need to kick more than 40 metres.

You're talking about many moves that were forced by injuries, I don't know how hard it is to acknowledge that.
Do you want to blame Voss for Walsh's injury-affected pre-season and start to the year too?

What were you thinking when we were doing well earlier in the year? I sure didn't see you posting during that period. If you're going to come and get all worked up when we aren't doing well, I'd expect that you show the same passion when we are doing well. I just don't understand it.

In conclusion, he won't be sacked. There is little point in continuing to go back and forth on this now. Cheers,

3 years at the helm now and it has been nothing short of underwhelming and an outright failure. We've been told that we want to be a consistent home and away team, get busy getting better, all of these words. The truth of the matter is that we are consistently inconsistent. We haven't gotten close to top 2/4 in 3 years (2023 despite finishing 5th we were 10pts behind 4th and 4pts behind 8th). The thing that frustrates me the most is that our best footy is built off momentum and emotion, not system and consistency. Its ALWAYS about us bashing teams in the contest and gaining territory and then everything falls into place from that. It's just too simple and predictable and every team knows how we play. In all 3 seasons we have had winning patches where we look impenetrable, and then falter and get exposed. 2023 was just in inverse order.

And our way of playing matches up with our coach's strengths and weaknesses. Everyone universally knows that Voss excels in leadership, motivation and relationship building. All intangible qualities. However, everyone also universally knows that strategically and tactically he is nothing short of a liability. And these are the EXACT same strengths and weaknesses as his best mate bottom 10 ken. I have never and still don't understand how clubs can appoint SENIOR coaches who have no tactical acumen. I honestly believe Voss has a role in a football department but not as senior coach. His skillset is even more suitable to that of a club psychologist or something like that, due to his supposed exceptional ability to understand people and 'empower' them. But how many times is his tactical ineptitude going to cost us and put us on the back foot.

Voss IS a problem, but the problem I think is bigger than Voss. Our president and board are the ones who made the decisive and consequential error of passing up on Kingsley for this guy. Kingsley, unlike Voss, is a tactical mastermind who is incredibly intelligent, worked at multiple clubs as an assistant coach, as opposed to voss staying at just 1 club, and kingsley also worked on every different line. Voss only controlled midfield and leadership department at port. He never worked in offence/defence which is basically your turnover game, and you've seen that in the way we've played for 3 years. When the biggest strength of a coach is something intangible that should already be a given, there's already alarm bells. That's like saying understanding the law isn't the most important thing for a lawyer.

As for this president of ours, he's been a board member for over 10 years, and he somehow got promoted to president. When we appointed Teague, voss was one of the candidates in line. So what was it that made us think that Voss wasn't good enough at the end of 2019? Or what was it that Voss did in those next 2 years that made us decide to appoint him in 2021? It worries me why no one asks these questions. How can Voss not get past the 1st round of interviews when applying for the Collingwood job, yet somehow be our man? The club appointed voss knowing that tactics was his Achilles heel. And that's what stings. Because they prioritised 'leadership' and 'culture' ahead of strategy and actual tangibles. Kingsley excels in those intangible traits too, but because he is so good at the tangibles, no one has to focus on the 'leadership and culture', they take care of themselves through results and system on the field. Apparently, our board were very impressed with Kingsley and offered him to be voss' assistant. If Kingsley is a better coach than voss which he absolutely is, why wasn't Voss offered to be kingsley's assistant? Sure Voss would've probably rejected, but the principle still stands true. Oh that's right, because Voss the CHAMPION footballer is a more marketable name.

And that's all this club cares about. Marketing. And patting themselves on the back, making it look like they are busy at work when they are all doing bugger all and protecting each other. There is no accountability at our once famous club and I think us fans are a big reason for this, which allows the club to continentally get away with their ineptitude. I couldn't believe how so many fans were celebrating and patting each other on the back after we scraped into 8th because another team mopped up our mistakes. And then after the hawks game, you've got Voss saying "oh you don't pass up on these sort of opportunities", referring to needing to win our last 2 games to make finals. What about the opportunity we had to consolidate top 2 and be a bonified contender which our list is. We botched that, but instead of accountability there was a victim mentality and injury excuses, and that is how we lower our standards and fall into mediocrity. Compare that to sam mitchell before the dogs game who says "if we don't win the grand final we're not gonna sit back and say what a success that was". (7 min mark).
This sort of mentality from our club is exactly what has plagued us and killed our standards for far too long, and I can't speak on behalf of every supporter but in my opinion too many of us don't push the club to have the necessary standards that we once had when we were a powerhouse.

And lastly, something I hear too often that irks me is "keep voss but get rid of his assistants". All of these assistants are guys that voss chose to bring in. Hamill, Hansen, Greaves, Jordan russell, clarke, ebert, lonergan, power all joined AFTER voss. So anyone who says we haven't supported voss that is just categorically false. So is the plan just to get tactical gurus around him to do his dirty work, so then we give voss the credit? If you are doing a group project, and one person does all the research, and the other stands in front and presents, and both do a great job, you should both be praised based on the work you done. You wouldn't praise the person who spoke for his research skills, rather, for his fluency and expression. So if we do happen to get smarter people around voss and improve tactically and strategically. We'll know who to give the credit too. People speak about voss as if he's a baby first time coach. He's had senior coaching experience. He then went to port for 8 years to supposedly fix all of his weaknesses. He is what he is. He isn't just going to magically become a master tactician when he's been in the coaching landscape for over 15 years. I really believe we had an exceptional coach in kingsley in the palm of our hands, but due to the higher ups at our club that prospect is well and truly gone, and we are all left to feel the cost of these decisions.

You know all about the Kingsley thing pray tell how
all these sack the coach and half the list wannabe list managers like you seem to be need to give it a rest your all doing my head in

Most important point for me is will Voss and Co be able to (and want to) change their thinking and approach to game plan and development

What changes will the club do your coaching panel to assist with this?

What I do believe is if we stay on the current path we will waste this opportunity. You don’t have to change the people but you do need to change the approach

I read War and Peace quicker then that rant
I swear that at times people think that they are writing blogs instead of making forum posts. I just skip past them.

You know all about the Kingsley thing pray tell how
all these sack the coach and half the list wannabe list managers like you seem to be need to give it a rest your all doing my head in
I said "apparently", I never said it definite but I think it was from the guys on an IanPrenderCast episode, who followed our coaching process at the time pretty closely. Also I never mentioned sacking half the list so not sure where you've got that from.

You lost any credibility with a comment such as that one, turn it up mate, you're not coming up with an effective game plan for an AFL side, if you could you'd be doing it already. I also very much doubt that he tells players to just bomb the ball into the forward line. At this point, you're just looking to criticise the man for anything that he does.
Haha settle down big fella …if voss is not telling the players to bomb it long why the heck are we doing it …my comment about me coming up with a better game plan is tongue in cheek … voss is an average coach ..deep down you know it … you believe he is a good coach ??

Haha settle down big fella …if voss is not telling the players to bomb it long why the heck are we doing it …my comment about me coming up with a better game plan is tongue in cheek … voss is an average coach ..deep down you know it … you believe he is a good coach ??

Impossible to know whether its instruction or not...

But I'd suggest the bombing down the line is a result of a lack of confidence. Players fall into their shell and try to take the 'safe' option because they don't want to make mistakes.

Personally think Vossy is just in the middle of the pack coach-wise along with his assistants.

He has got the players onside and at times we have looked unstoppable on effort (when we hit 2nd I was impressed so kudos to him).

It's really clear watching the games that our style of play lacks finesse. It's very easy to defend against and then counter attack. It grinds our players down during the season because of the huge contested side of the game. Here Vossy and the coaching group fall a bit short.

Inside the club they would all be talking about system but they simply don't know how to teach it effectively so it actually looks like a system on gameday. Lots of the coaches don't. When our best 7 are on song we can be unstoppable regardless of system.

They lack understanding of their own gameplan and then the roles they need to fulfil that gameplan. If its up down the line and long and high into the forward line then they need explosive speedsters with a body for their forward role players. Instead they got light bodies in Hollands x2 and Fantasia. To suit the gamestyle Cripps and the midfield want to play they need hard bodies with a bit of breakaway speed, not lopers. They don't need big names, they need Mceeery's instead of Fantasias. They need Shultz instead of the Hollands. Players who have more speed but can contest stoppages up and down the line. This isnt about who is a better player, it is about Carlton's style they want to play.

Carlton recruit good players instead of the roles they need to fill. It's a disconnect between the coaching and recruiting team.

In a nutshell, 2024 showed very poor tackling where we tackled but every time the tackled player still got the ball away (70%+ at a guess); always two stupid Carlton players running at the one opposition player allowing loop over handball and clearance; the midfield and defence all committing in to the ball with no outlet and handing the ball back to the opposition. They dont hold their position. The defence marking space allowing the bloody easiest of marks to the opposition is simply non-sensical. The sheer volume of times the defence were outnumbered - OMG. God they are stupid.

We cant kick to advantage.

WE do have a lot to work with but require better understanding and coaching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And that's all this club cares about. Marketing. And patting themselves on the back, making it look like they are busy at work when they are all doing bugger all and protecting each other. There is no accountability at our once famous club and I think us fans are a big reason for this, which allows the club to continually get away with their ineptitude. I couldn't believe how so many fans were celebrating and patting each other on the back after we scraped into 8th because another team mopped up our mistakes. And then after the hawks game, you've got Voss saying "oh you don't pass up on these sort of opportunities", referring to needing to win our last 2 games to make finals. What about the opportunity we had to consolidate top 2 and be a bonified contender which our list is. We botched that, but instead of accountability there was a victim mentality and injury excuses, and that is how we lower our standards and fall into mediocrity. Compare that to sam mitchell before the dogs game who says "if we don't win the grand final we're not gonna sit back and say what a success that was". (7 min mark).

And lastly, something I hear too often that irks me is "keep voss but get rid of his assistants". All of these assistants are guys that voss chose to bring in. Hamill, Hansen, Greaves, Jordan russell, clarke, ebert, lonergan, power all joined AFTER voss. So anyone who says we haven't supported voss that is just categorically false. So is the plan just to get tactical gurus around him to do his dirty work, so then we give voss the credit? If you are doing a group project, and one person does all the research, and the other stands in front and presents, and both do a great job, you should both be praised based on the work you done. You wouldn't praise the person who spoke for his research skills, rather, for his fluency and expression. So if we do happen to get smarter people around voss and improve tactically and strategically, we'll know who to give the credit too. People speak about voss as if he's a baby first time coach. He's had senior coaching experience. He then went to port for 8 years to supposedly fix all of his weaknesses. He is what he is. He isn't just going to magically become a master tactician when he's been in the coaching landscape for over 15 years. I really believe we had an exceptional coach in kingsley in the palm of our hands, but due to the higher ups at our club that prospect is well and truly gone, and we are all left to feel the cost of these decisions.

Yeah, feel Voss would've been better replacing Loyd.

Most important point for me is will Voss and Co be able to (and want to) change their thinking and approach to game plan and development

What changes will the club do your coaching panel to assist with this?

What I do believe is if we stay on the current path we will waste this opportunity. You don’t have to change the people but you do need to change the approach

How do the assistant coaches work in with the current style of play? Are they all yes men brought in by Voss to compliment whatever the vision is or, does Hansen and Voss debate and have robust discussion about the direction and style of play?

How do we go all year and not address our inability to defend a D50 stoppage? We were 18th by some margin if i recall.

I struggle a bit when i watch our games and think, surely our forwards coach isn’t telling our forwards to work like this and the same with our defensive stoppage coaching, how can you not put more effort in to a metric you are last at.

My observation is we have built a game plan that plays to one of our strengths, contested marking. When we have TDK, Harry, Charlie and two mids in Kennedy and Cripps that can take contested marks along with Martin when available. We anchor our forward transition through them a lot and it works well.

However we dont have the depth if some of them dont play.

Its one of the reasons (there are others) why tdk replaced by Pitto doesnt fully cover his absence. His marking is rubbish.

I get its a point of difference but its too fragile when injuries hit. It also leads to a narrow way of playing and over tendency to bomb it long to these guys too often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back