Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Voss falls down by relying only on contest and pressure. The evidence suggests contest and pressure is a given but without overlap run, chaos ball etc success can not be sustained in modern AFL. The contest and pressure brand alone is too taxing and relies on the team being up every week. The question is does Voss have the players on the list to play modern run and carry football? I don't think he does. The solution is the Sayers and Williams need to allow Voss and the recruiting department to take a step back and bring in the right players and augment the game plan. Unfortunately, that will take a season or 2 of stagnation or regression. However, if the club was upfront about it, I think the supporters would accept it.
Carlton in its pursuit of instant success has always struggled to be honest with itself

What is very worrying is this is his focus. Contest and Pressure. Yet, all year that aspect of our game has been poor

I have been patient and willing to cop the usual crap being wheeled out week after week by Voss but something is going on internally what it is I don’t know from an external point of view ill grade them as a loyal perennially disappointed supporter

The Match committee D
Should know better than to pick injured and underdone players especially in a final plus bringing them back from injury not match fit consistently .

The Coach D tactfully inept and favours the usual suspects no matter how badly they play say no more

The fitness dept F- terrible

The recruiting dept C should have moved on the injured passengers last year including recruiting to our needs
Speed good ball users and someone decent to help weits

I'd like to present the case for Vossy's defence.

2024 saw both Walsh and Cerra play pretty much the entire season sore and out of form. That is not on Vossy but kills him. They were mostly a dead loss for the year except for Walsh's initial burst before i suspect he became injured. Don't know why Vossy didnt force a move to the wing for Walsh to lessen the physicality load.

Secondly the case for the defence rests with the second tall defender which was horrific in 2024. Something outside of Vossy's control due mostly to lack of choice.

Solve those two in 2025 and we finish higher up. But he has to change his high ball down the line strategy or we will be sore/injured every season. Instead of walsh it will be another name.

What is very worrying is this is his focus. Contest and Pressure. Yet, all year that aspect of our game has been poor
I'm not sure our system and method on the field is very 'fun' for a lot of the guys. I obviously can't know that but our system is so layered and relying on guys absolutely busting themselves to contest and pressure, sometimes even working overly hard just to get simple goals, it doesn't strike me as a lot of fun footy-wise. I wonder if that plays a role in what we've seen. Look at the Hawks, they're loving it out there. Granted it's always more enjoyable when you're going well.

Voss falls down by relying only on contest and pressure. The evidence suggests contest and pressure is a given but without overlap run, chaos ball etc success can not be sustained in modern AFL. The contest and pressure brand alone is too taxing and relies on the team being up every week. The question is does Voss have the players on the list to play modern run and carry football? I don't think he does. The solution is the Sayers and Cook need to allow Voss and the recruiting department to take a step back and bring in the right players and augment the game plan. Unfortunately, that will take a season or 2 of stagnation or regression. However, if the club was upfront about it, I think the supporters would accept it.
Carlton in its pursuit of instant success has always struggled to be honest with itself

How about we consider trying to match the game plan to our list profile?

Vossy's underlings may be the dregs of who was left in 2021 but they're all his picks. What would any senior head or rising star gain from coming to work under him?
The club handled the appointment of Voss appallingly. They privately admitted when he was appointed that he lacks tactical prowess and they would surround him with people with that strength to compensate. At the time, I thought that is ridiculously naive and has proven to be impossible.

Yet we still have supporters saying to help Voss just surround him with better coaches as if the club hadn’t thought of that.

The head coach must drive tactics and unfortunately Voss can’t do that

The club handled the appointment of Voss appallingly. They privately admitted when he was appointed that he lacks tactical prowess and they would surround him with people with that strength to compensate. At the time, I thought that is ridiculously naive and has proven to be impossible.

Yet we still have supporters saying to help Voss just surround him with better coaches as if the club hadn’t thought of that.

I haven't seen where this has been stated, do you have a link?

So why hire someone when the club clearly know isn't up to it? Just another publicity stunt.

Keeping it simple, the club has the best two forward tall combo in the game. They have Cripps, Walsh and Cerra as blue chip commodities in the middle and Acres a top 6 player (by role) on the wing. They have Saad and Weitering in defence who year on year come into discussions on all australian whether they make it or not. They also have TDK sprouting wings right now.

The list is there. The gameday strategy and fitness/health is not there. Yes, they have one significant hole in no key defender to support Weitering but that problem has been there staring them in the face for 2-3 years.

From that baseline Vossy, us, others excuse it all away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much has been discussed about our game plan and apart from contest and pressure which we keep hearing (which every side wants to play) what game plan has Voss implemented or changed in three years?

We still continue to kick the ball long and high to contests including the side that doesn't favour our player. Our structures, particularly defending are all over the place.
Our stoppage set ups are poor. Forwards rarely lead and our crumbers don't understand three concept of front and centre.
Our kick outs are predictable and we lack run and carry.
Tactically we continue to be beaten by what we know. Half backs love playing against Carlton. Dale, Zorko, Wilmot, Houston, Sinclair the list goes on. This falls squarely on the coach.
Finally, selection integrity. Binns wins the VFL best and fairest in his first season and still can't get a game?? Meanwhile Cottrell misses two months and is rushed back without any match fitness at any level?? Ditto Cerra. We finally decide to play some kids out of nescacity against the overwhelming favourites West Coast away and we have arguably one of our top 5 wins of the season with 18 players unavailable. The kids all stood up. This was backed up the following week against the Saints. So what do we do? We drop them all and rush back 7 players, some who hadn't played in months.

All of the above are the responsibility of the senior coach especially given the time frame in charge.

If you look at Chris Scott (a Premiership Coach) he knows that the season is divided into qualifying for the finals and playing in them. Look at how they 'managed' Danger.

Our bash and crash style cant be repeated every week without injury and injury killed us. Why?. The crazy Vossiness killed us. Only Cripps can play this way.

The game is changing with Mitchell and we are best to learn to play the whole ground on offence so that we can position for rebound and break-fdown oppo defence.

Lesson #1 - plan your season, not go at every round like it's the GF.

Lesson #2 - the game is changing b4 our eyes and you better get on the Mitchel train of thought or we're cactus.

We havent had a 2nd KB since Liam Jones - why? Loaded up on wingmen and small forwards - all ineffective.

I could go on all day...

Makes possibly the worse selection decision of all time in making TDK the sub and made Kennedy take the blame for it.

His decision making is terrible and he takes no responsibility .

Can’t use the comparison I posted so let’s just say he ain’t no good

#Mod Edit - NO POLITICS

Last edited:
So why hire someone when the club clearly know isn't up to it? Just another publicity stunt.
Because the club rated his man management and motivation skills. They considered that more important than tactical skills.
I am saying it is impossible to believe the coaching subcommittee who appointed him actually thought that would work.

IDK if it was Voss or MC but the EF was a disaster and unfortunately I didn't watch after quarter time. I loss interest knowing that we had brought in so many injured players instead of keeping the same team for the past couple of weeks. The team would of just got used to working with each other and knowing that it was working would of given them confidence. On Voss I'm not sold, not sure how the assistants work and if they have a voice or not. Agree if you are the forward coach you need to direct the forwards. 2025 will be interesting. I just want a coach who is forward thinking and can adapt when needed. I don't think this is Voss.

It’s what happens after the bloke u had lined up gets the offer pulled due to past indiscretions. Lyon was our “high profile experienced coach” we were then scrambling to fill it.
I’ve heard that from multiple people, one of which supposedly was told from someone very close to the selection panel.
Makes sense to me, there was multiple other options for untried coaches but very little on offer from them the “experienced” list.

Seems ludicrous that you would appoint a head coach who is poor tactically - to me that’s the biggest part of the job.
You follow a poor leader who is tactically sound - you instinctively do something that makes sense.
It’s bloody hard to follow someone regardless of how motivating they are, if the instructions don’t make sense, is difficult & not effective 🤷‍♂️

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back