Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO the game plan is based on what Cripps can do and not what the rest of the team can do.
Cripps is not at fault.
When I look at the Hawks, I see a team let loose to play on instincts with direction from the coach.

Exactly. They have been trying to work around him specifically for years. first it was recruit extra support on inside grunt (Kennedy/Setters/Stocker), and then also it was Dow to offset Cripps slowness. I think Cripps is the game plan.

It has really hurt our balance.

Our Club is bigger than 1 player. Love Cripps but I believe that he needs to adjust his stoppage game. Watch Danger, or Bonts and you will see them almost hiting the ball drop zone at speed.

The point is they are moving, Cripps is always being manhandled and stagnate which allows the opponent to negate him, and only through sheer brute force does he get away.

I have no idea but talk is Hansen is very smart. Says to me that he isn’t having an influence tactically. If he is he should be sacked
This is the intriguing “layer”. Hansen has been “the man” in the coaches box. Where does his role start and finish?
Does he question Voss? Does he empower Voss? It is hard to believe that such a highly rated up and comer would align with the abomination our player management and selection have become.

He had the forward line for two years, structures archaic. He has had ball movement responsibility, again seems a fail.

Either we do not have a team input among the coaches, or Vossy is ruling the roost. So much doesn’t make sense.

Can’t get a read in the Russell scenario either. The bloke has been the tip of the spear for decades. How do we end up with so much fail? Did he take it as a personal challenge to present Voss with a team of battle ready machines? I don’t get any direct insight on training, but it looks from outside that we live and die by the contest, are we training just as hard as per the David King pre season report?

Do we have “weak” players or have they been pushed beyond normal human limits?

Last edited:
This is the intriguing “layer”. Hansen has been “the man” in the coaches box. Where does his role start and finish?
Does he question Voss? Does he o power Voss? It is hard to believe that such a highly rated up and comer would align with the abomination our player management and selection have become.

He had the forward line for two years, structures archaic. He has had ball movement responsibility, again seems a fail.

Either we do not have a team input among the coaches, or Vossy is ruling the roost. So much doesn’t make sense.

Can’t get a read in the Russell scenario either. The bloke has been the tip of the spear for decades. How do we end up with so much fail? Did he take it as a personal challenge to present Voss with a team of battle ready machines? I don’t get any direct insight on training, but it looks from outside that we live and die by the contest, are we training just as hard as per the David King pre season report?

One factor is we fumble a lot and this contributes to more ground ball contests with bodies crashing bashing wrestling etc which wouldn’t be too much fun after a while.

Compared to having clean connections and just running in space a bit like hawks atm.

How about we consider trying to match the game plan to our list profile?
I think they are (ie. contest/pressure, crash and bash led by big bodied inside bulls), it just doesn't look like the most successful teams play like that anymore. Game seems to have moved on.

Last edited:
I think they are (ie. contest/pressure, crash and bash led by big bodied inside bulls), it just doesn't look like the most successful teams play like that anymore. Game seems to have moved on.

Exactly.

Its the only way our list CAN play.

We have none of the ingredients to play fast football like Hawks/GWS/Swans.

We are a "Grit & Grind Team" As befits the list.

Exactly.

Its the only way our list CAN play.

We have none of the ingredients to play fast football like Hawks/GWS/Swans.

We are a "Grit & Grind Team" As befits the list.
I do not agree. We have plenty of ball,players, just do not train it. We can improve the list in that area, but over the journey have had some spectacular ball movement.

2024 saw both Walsh and Cerra play pretty much the entire season sore and out of form. That is not on Vossy but kills him.
Interesting. You think playing running midfielders in the contest and without rotation grinding then into dust isn't on the coach...? Not even a little?
Secondly the case for the defence rests with the second tall defender which was horrific in 2024. Something outside of Vossy's control due mostly to lack of choice.
Was it? Plenty wanted kemp shifted forward last preseason so young could be down back. He had options. He didn't try any until the season was done.
Does he question Voss? Does he o power Voss? It is hard to believe that such a highly rated up and comer would align with the abomination our player management and selection have become.

Or whoever considers Hansen as smart is wrong. who knows.

It’s depressing reading these posts.

If Voss is slow to change his stubborn ways and tactically deficient, what hope do we have he will lead this club to improve next year.

Feel like we’ve treaded water all year compared to how we finished last season, and the last 2 months have highlighted the worst qualities of Voss as a coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voss is our man, for 2025…

Vossy is a top notch people person and motivator, which is a huge part of coaching…

He needs better strategies coaching around him, one of the best in the business Adam Simpson is available, not sure why we didn’t go hard for him…

Also not sure why we didn’t upgrade our line coaches…

If you look at Chris Scott (a Premiership Coach) he knows that the season is divided into qualifying for the finals and playing in them. Look at how they 'managed' Danger.

Our bash and crash style cant be repeated every week without injury and injury killed us. Why?. The crazy Vossiness killed us. Only Cripps can play this way.

The game is changing with Mitchell and we are best to learn to play the whole ground on offence so that we can position for rebound and break-fdown oppo defence.

Lesson #1 - plan your season, not go at every round like it's the GF.

Lesson #2 - the game is changing b4 our eyes and you better get on the Mitchel train of thought or we're cactus.

We havent had a 2nd KB since Liam Jones - why? Loaded up on wingmen and small forwards - all ineffective.

I could go on all day...
Agree with all this, I think that managing players during the year is hugely important. To do this effectively though you need to maintain a healthy list of players capable of coming into the team to cover for others. We haven't be able to do this at all.

Voss is our man, for 2025…

Vossy is a top notch people person and motivator, which is a huge part of coaching…

He needs better strategies coaching around him, one of the best in the business Adam Simpson is available, not sure why we didn’t go hard for him…

Also not sure why we didn’t upgrade our line coaches…
What value is Voss adding if he needs assistants to develop and drive strategies, surely the Head coach must lead this.

Looking at Hawks, Cats and Swans it would appear Mitchell, Scott and Longmire drive the team’s game plan and strategies?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back