Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

The role of senior coach is much different to head coach.

Senior coach is a general manager. Keeps the peace and discipline of the group and drives them. Has an input into tactics but doesn't have to be a genius decision maker and tactician.

Voss is that senior coach person. But he is not a great decision maker or tactician.

Voss needs three things to succeeded as a coach at Carlton.

1. The players. He doesn't have them and that is part the fault of his coaching group. They needed to be advising list management about what they wanted and to get that right. The main issue has been our onball group. When the rule changes came, those teams who were quick to act and got it right have gone ahead in leaps and bounds. Those who didn't, us have gone backwards. The advice to go for faster, more agile mids who run down, tackle and run both ways at pace needed to be the first things reiterated to our list management from coaching when Voss came in. Again this could have been a lot to do with who he has around him, why leave it up to one guy to figure this out? We don't have the players, we need to get that done.

2. Assistants. It seems all the teams who have had a sustained run at success and won multiple flags are loaded with well regarded assistants. It comes from a top notch footy boss and that comes from a top notch CEO. Last time we were any good we had a good group under David Parkin. New fresh minds who would go on to be successful under an old enforcer.

3. He needs to let go and trust more. Trust his playing group more. You can tell there are players who he just does not trust. He was forced to play youth this year and when he did they did well. He is very reluctant when it comes to who he throws into the middle. Rather run our onball group into the ground or let them get smashed than to try something creative. Last two finals series he has dropped well performing players for names and favorites. He is afraid of playing lighter bodies and more outside players. That's why we keep falling back into becoming slow all the time.

He also needs to trust his assistants more. I get the feeling Voss is probably stubborn. How can we keep making tactical and selection mistakes with so many coaches there? Who's making the mistakes? If we surround Voss with good tactical people and decision makers, will it go to waste? Will he listen?

In terms of good assistant coaches. Brett Ratten, Adam Simpson have been mentioned but I would also be enquiring about Brendan Bolton and just seeing if he would be willing to return. There are plenty of well regarded coaches out there. Justin Leppitsch for example.

It just seems like Geelong and Collingwood get the best. Richmond over the last few years as well and we get what is left over. We just seem to get what's left on the scrapheap every time when it comes to assistants.
I shouldn’t be saying this as hawthorn supporter but my gf is a Carlton supporter so I have a soft spot for em .. you guys should look to get Luke Hodge to Carlton as an assistant to Vossy !

I shouldn’t be saying this as hawthorn supporter but my gf is a Carlton supporter so I have a soft spot for em .. you guys should look to get Luke Hodge to Carlton as an assistant to Vossy !
Would love him on the coaching team, but reality is Hodge and family are settled in Qld. He gets a great part time gig in the media to pay the bills without the grind and pressures of coaching. I am sure he is sounded out each off season. Maybe if his kid is drafted there is some scope for a Victorian return (not sure if he has other, younger offspring)

Would love him on the coaching team, but reality is Hodge and family are settled in Qld. He gets a great part time gig in the media to pay the bills without the grind and pressures of coaching. I am sure he is sounded out each off season. Maybe if his kid is drafted there is some scope for a Victorian return (not sure if he has other, younger offspring)
4 boys

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back