Michael Wilson - "(Ablett's) no bloomin’ God of the world type thing."

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 11, 2007
[redacted]
AFL Club
Geelong
Just came across a preview of the Port game on the GFC website, and it's hard not to note Port defender Peter Wilson's comments at the end. Here's the whole thing:

MATCH DETAILS
Geelong v Port Adelaide
Skilled Stadium, 1.10pm, Sunday

FORECAST
The bureau is predicting a cool day but there should be clear, blue skies with a top temperature around 15 degrees.

LAST TIME THEY MET
Round 1, 2007 at AAMI Stadium – Geelong 15.15 (105) def Port Adelaide 14.12 (96)

The Cats, after a slightly sluggish start, soon rediscovered their form of 2007 and kicked clear of Port Adelaide, with James Kelly and Joel Corey finding plenty of the footy.

Geelong led comfortably throughout the second and third quarters, with Tom Hawkins and Cameron Mooney providing strong targets in attack while Paul Chapman and Mathew Stokes were always dangerous at ground level.

Port Adelaide got back to within three goals at the last change before a piece of Gary Ablett brilliance – a magnificent running goal – was enough to see the Cats home, despite the home side pushing hard in the final minutes.

FORM GUIDE
It was a more even four-quarter effort from the Cats last week as they continue to do what they have to in order to get the four points. Despite Geelong’s defence looking a little fragile at times, the Cats always seemed to have the match in control. Geelong has been relying more on individual efforts at times in 2008 but that has been enough to achieve a 10-1 record. They return to their beloved Skilled Stadium this weekend where they lost only twice last season – one of which however came at the hands of Port Adelaide.

The Power’s finals hopes might have flickered out last week after fading dismally against Carlton. Outspoken coach Mark Williams has let the footy world know what he thinks of the Blues’ improvement – perhaps a sign that Port Adelaide’s man in charge is feeling the heat. It’s been a frustrating season for Choco and his men, with all at Alberton knowing they have more ability than their ladder position reflects.

RANDOM FACTS
- Geelong has a good recent record against the Port Adelaide, having won six of its past seven matches against the Power

- James Kelly set the tone for his impressive 2008 season with a blistering opening round when he collected 31 touches and 11 marks in the Cats’ nine-point win over the Power.

- Port Adelaide’s clearance king Shaun Burgoyne returns to the side this week. When the Power beat the Cats at Skilled Stadium last year he touched it 22 times, laid eight tackles and booted three crucial goals.

KEY MATCH UPS
Harry Taylor v Justin Westhoff

Harry Taylor seems certain to come into the Geelong side this week after a week out of senior footy against North Melbourne last week. Justin Westhoff, at 199cm, is a difficult match-up for most defences. He hasn’t been in great touch this season but looked to be finding some form against Carlton early last week. Taylor is likely to get first crack.

Gary Ablett v Kane Cornes/Dom Cassisi
Dom Cassisi has been Choco Williams’ go-to man for Ablett the last few occasions but, given the Geelong master’s recent form, the coach might have to think about ramping up security. Williams has flagged the prospect of Kane Cornes getting the job, which opens the door for one of the more tantalising duels of the season.

Cameron Mooney v Alipate Carlile
Carlile has been terrific for Port Adelaide this season and kept Blues spearhead Brendan Fevola pretty quiet last week. He’s likely to get Geelong’s main strike weapon this week, whose confidence will be up after a career-high seven goals last week. Mooney treads a fine line with his aggression, so finding that right balance might be half the battle for him. Carlile might be wise – and brave – to test that balance.

WHAT THE CLUBS SAY
Geelong coach Mark Thompson
(on facing the Power for the seventh time in 18 months)

“That's a challenge in itself because you can't keep fronting up with the same tactics, the same game plans, the same presentations to the players.
"We have to vary it up and throw lots of things at them (players) so that's a challenge."

Port Adelaide defender Michael Wilson
(on trying to stop Gary Ablett)
“I don’t think Choco will do that (tell us not to tackle Ablett).

"But he [Ablett] is a tough bloke to tackle ... He's a quality player no doubt, but he's no bloomin’ God of the world type thing.

“We can still play him. He's just a bloke and I'm sure Dom Cassisi can run up well against him.”

dont misrepresent the story, wilson acknowledges how good ablett is

"“With a player like that, as good as he is, you can't just put one person on him and say good luck. You're not a team person if you don't help out the tagger.”

end thread

"“With a player like that, as good as he is, you can't just put one person on him and say good luck. You're not a team person if you don't help out the tagger.”

end thread

Don't misrepresent an entire thread by taking one line out of context and ignoring the remainder of the thread.

And don't don't come onto the Geelong board telling when we should or shouldn't end threads.

Go away.

Geelong by 119.

end thread

I agree with what you're saying in that Peter Wilson wasn't blindly getting stuck into Ablett, but I didn't exactly misrepresent Wilson either - I just put what I thought was the most noteworthy of his comments into the heading to try rev up any of our lads who might be reading:p

Best of luck for the game mate... Carn the Cats!!

peter wilson, michael lol
no worries mate, good luck to your boys, i think we are in real trouble against you guys, unless you guys decide to rest ottens :)

all the best for the year, i like geelong, but if you beat us and then lose to the crows i will be shattered

Here's how the Adelaide Advertiser spin it:

Ablett's not a god, says Port hard nut
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/comments/0,22638,23849917-5016212,00.html

GIVEN Geelong ace Gary Ablett's display against North Melbourne last Friday, it is not hard to imagine the "god" tag being thrown around again soon.

Port Adelaide hard nut Michael Wilson, though, went out of his way yesterday to make it clear Ablett can be stopped as the Power prepare for the near-impossible task of beating Geelong at Skilled Stadium on Sunday, a week after losing to Carlton.

"He's a quality player no doubt, but he's no bloomin' god of the world. We can still play him, he's just a bloke," Wilson said.

And I love some of the comments!

Patricia Deluca of Salisbury said:
Ablett isn't God, but jeez Power who do you think you are? He's up above any of our players. Choco in another article in this papers so they want to gain some respect against Geelong. Just remember Choco Geelong has a lot of their players out injured so you won't gain any respect even beating Geelong. You can close last time but again they had a few of their good players out. No respect for you this year choco. Yes I am a power supporter but I don't have any faith in them this year.

Simon said:
More word games from the Power brains trust - keep playing a game you're ill-equipped to win, boys!!

barbarella of grange said:
Ablett Jr is not God, he is obviously Jesus (Son of God)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

motivator6771203.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael Wilson - "(Ablett's) no bloomin’ God of the world type thing."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back