Mick Malthouse demands Sydney help end now

Remove this Banner Ad

The first page of this thread is priceless :D
And Mick Malthouse is spot on :thumbsu:

Hahahaha yeah I love it.

The op thinks everyone will flock to support him. But the next 20 posts in a row all say 'micks right' etc.

And what makes it even better, not one like for op but hundreds of like for the micks right posts.

Good to see that you are aware that the AFL keep you competitive, however thinking that they should make you incapable of being "poached" from is exactly the issue.

No other club is afforded that luxury, so why should Sydney be?

There does seem to be an attitude of entitlement coming from some Sydney supporters in that regard.

It's quite ironic to hear them argue they should be protected from poaching considering they've spent the last couple of years poaching some of the biggest names in the game.

Absolutely. I've been approached to work in Sydney and every time I've said, pay me $20k more per year than an employer in Melbourne would and I'll move there. Every single employer baulked at the idea of Sydney being substantially more expensive to live in. 60k/year in Sydney is closed to 45k. I guess it's all relative to where you live. You could live in Lilydale, or you could live in Brunswick...

So why is Sydney more expensive? I'd say that more people choose to live there for a reason. For the exact same reasons you pay more to live in Melbourne than Moe ... lifestyle, facilities, entertainment, accessibility, opportunities etc.

In any case, the cost of living in this context mainly refers to housing - I don't think we are squabbling over the cost of milk here. So if you're a player on say $250k+ then you should be able to enter that housing market. It may cost more up-front but assuming comparable growth with other cities (and assuming this is > current interest rate which generally has been the case ... and that's assuming interest only; better still P&I) then you are actually better off.

I can understand assistance to players years 1-3, to a degree, whom didn't really have much of a choice but more so as a 'go-home factor' rather than COLA. Otherwise do Melb teams get more than Adelaide, should Geelong get less etc etc.

Looking overseas at the NBA, do players from New York & LA receive more than those from Detroit & Cleveland? Short answer .. No

There does seem to be an attitude of entitlement coming from some Sydney supporters in that regard.

It's quite ironic to hear them argue they should be protected from poaching considering they've spent the last couple of years poaching some of the biggest names in the game.
Exactly.

They want to trade players in, but they should never lose a player.

Fantasy land, that up until now has been somewhat reality.

Here's two quite prominent ones:

Shannon Grant - drafted by Swans

Nathan Buckley - drafted by Brisbane

How would you feel if Hodge had left after a year?

Fine then I will give you 2 examples.

Paul Kelly: Drafted by the swans and Stayed there.

Tony Lockett: Drafted by the Swans from the Saints.

Paul Kelly was drafted when the swans were struggling. He stayed his career there. Turned out to be a good player. Lockett was a good spear head at the swans after a decade spending his career at the saints.

Its not all one sided.

Been done to death this subject.

Mick having some problems, oh look over there.

There is two tiers in football - AFL states vs non AFL states (NSW and Queensland). Non AFL states are at a huge disadvantage retaining players drafted from interstate. Witness what just happened at Brisbane - prime example, Polec.

Brisbane lost their retention allowance after winning three cups. Now Sydney lose the Cost of Living Allowance after winning two. Sour Grapes is all it is.

Removal of the COLA gives teams from AFL States an unfair advantage. What just happened to Brisbane will now be attempted on the Swans and Suns. Swans are lucky with good recruitment and culture giving a strong chance of retaining players drafted from interstate but if the Swans drop down the ladder just watch the poaching.

1st off Im going to say this... I would do anything to Have a 10-12 year AFL career regardless of what state I play in. Im Happy to be on $250-$300,000 a year for the next 10 years for playing a spot I do love. If I was on that amount, I would be smart enough to put 1/3 or 1/4 of my wages to pay off the Mortgage. If not After the 10 years I would see my House in NSW for double of what the price it was then move back to Adelaide or Melbourne for an easy retirement.

If you dont like paying high rent in Sydney, then why not move to Adelaide?:p

But Yeah Lets be serious on this Before this turns into another Sydney Swans vs everyone else thread. I am going to try and be balanced on here...

Ok 1st off whats the Salary Cap of the AFL this season? Around 9-9.5 million right? So thats around $230,000 per player on the main squad. 1st off Im not fond of throwing away the COLA yet. On the other hand I am not fond of it being Abused either.... when you get drafted on an AFL list to a main squad, you earn $150,000 a year for 2 years, $60,000 a year for 2 years if your a rookie.

1st off Lets get one thing straight when it came to 2012 when the Swans won the flag, The swans fitted tippett in the Salary cap. This caused an uproar when it happened as teams that do win flags are not supposed to get stronger. They either stay the same with an Ageing squad or get weaker with retirements.

In 2012, Tippett is on around $600,000 a year at the swans and the swans recruited 4 guys in the National Draft. Yet no one Mentioned that the swans Signed Daniel Bradshaw from the lions on $600,000 a year from 2010-2012. Swans also delisted 5 guys from the main squad who were on at least $200,000 a year. 2 of those guys were ex eagles players in Mark Seaby and Matt Spangher who were on $300,000 a year each. Also the Salary cap was increased by at least $500-600,000 each year too.

So in summary of the swans 2012 spare cap....

Bradshaw is gone....$600,000 of free space

5 swans players delisted: $1,000,000 at least

5-6% increase of the cap: around $500,000

Add those 3 up and that is $2.1 million of spare cap space. Tippett took $700,000 of that cap and theres still 1.4 million left. take out the 4 guys that got drafted on $150,000 a year and there is still $800,000 left as well. that remaining $800,000 was used to pay the other fringe 22 players.

As for 2013... The swans are paying Buddy a 10 million dollar deal over 9 years and got another 3-4 kids in the ND. Yet Bolton retired, Guys like Shane Mumford, Jesse White, Jed Lamb and some other guys were either traded or Delisted.

If your recently drafted to Any AFL club, 1st thing you do is share a unit with 2-3 other team mates of your same club. Dont see why the swans players cant do the same thing. Players in Victoria and SA do. By 2017 the cap will grow by another 1.5-2 million. So the AFL Salary cap will rise to around 12 million. Does the Swans need the COLA by then? Probably not.

If I had it my way, Rookie players should be paid to $100,000 a year. Players recruited from the ND should have their pay raised from $150,000 a year to $200,000 a year.

Looking overseas at the NBA, do players from New York & LA receive more than those from Detroit & Cleveland? Short answer .. No

And nor should they. They are paid millions to throw a ball around instead of working for a living. I am fed up with AFL footballers, earning more money than the average Australian could ever dream about, and screaming about financial disadvantages. Nobody's holding a gun to their heads, if they think they'd be better off working in a pickle factory at home than in Sydney playing AFL football, then just do it. The mere thought that someone earning more than $300,000 per year needs financial assistance in order to live just makes my skin crawl.

The Queensland and NSW teams get less value for their salary cap dollar due to the fact that 85+ percent of their list comes from another state and the lack of third party payment options. Some sort of mechanism is needed for salary cap equity or to offset the effect of said equity (such as more funding for parents of interstate players to come visit more often etc).

Sydney have no one to blame but themselves and have really done the cause of the frontier footy clubs a real disservice. Tippett was one thing, Franklin was completely taking the piss.

Brisbane used its retention allowance for retention, not poaching.

I suggest you look into the history. Short answer, players drafted by Sydney and Brisbane, two years later back in Melbourne.

I suggest you actually check into the cost of living in Sydney. Here's the best answer:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...untry2=Australia&city1=Melbourne&city2=Sydney

"Consumer Prices Including Rent in Sydney are 13.89% higher than in Melbourne." Therefore players signed to Sydney are worse off with the COLA than players in Melbourne.

I suggest you get on a plane and come to wa

Sydney has very few FIFO workers ....sorry that's fly I fly out in case you don't know

Our fuel prices are the highest in Australia

I suggest you look at a map and see how isolated Perth is ....most isolated capital city on the world

Everything has to be transported here ....like food

Food here is the most expensive in the country

Our land taxes are higher than anywhere .....LAND TAXES, CAR TAX.

Rent is only part of living and yes that might be more in Sydney but I know for a fact everything else in wa is more expensive than Sydney

I have friends who moved from Sydney to wa and say Perth is way more expose dive to live iN....

I would suggest once agains another swans fan who has no idea and just making up crap excuses

You team wins because the afl wants it to win..harsh comment yes ...truthful also ...

The swans are the AFLS PUPPETS

Brisbane used its retention allowance for retention, not poaching.
It is actually supposed to be hard to retain everyone when you are successfull. That's the point of the cap as an equalisation measure. Being able to retain that list would have been an advantage if that is all that Brisbane did but it isn't anyway. Having beaten Essendon in a GF, Brisbane were able to take Caracella from Essendon who had salary cap pressure and had to offload him along with a few others. Brisbane were also able to pay Mal Michael's asking price to get him from Collingwood when he chased a big increase.

Dave…seriously…calm the **** down.
Ok sorry

But geez this issue strikes to heart of our gam and mick is only one to speak up

I suspect all the other coaches are too scared to say anything

It's blatant favoritism and frankly it's an utter joke and swans fans here who defend it are deluded

I suggest swans fans would be better of Loki g away because they don't want to hear it

The swans are propped up by the afl to win ...they guarantee their sucsess

I have even felt the tribunal goes very soft on them.....barry halls decision in 2005 highlights this

They are the most favoured team. That's fact

Lions have been going great without any additional funds to retain a list where 90% of the players are from another state, can't think of a single example of WA/SA/VIC clubs poaching our kids with the lure of going home...... Sydney should thrive as well..:rolleyes:

Being serious now, I always thought it was pretty well known the COLA wasn't just about cost of living and also to address the challenges of running a club up North where footy isn't the number 1 sport, the bulk of your list is recruited from interstate and you're naturally going to lose more players due to go home factor.

Think it's time for the AFL to look at other options to help the clubs up there instead of increased salary cap. Why not find other ways to keep the players happy playing outside of their state?
You speak a lot of common sense but will presumably be ignored here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why does sydney get special treatment? why don't we use the CPI and adjust all salary caps according? so Sydney's cap>melbournes cap>perths cap=brisbanes cap>Adelaide's cap. Can't wait till we have a Tasmanian team.

I live in Tassie we will need twice the COLA allowance to keep players. Aside from income from the game players will have to accept reduced scope for media appearances, reduced corporate opportunity, reduced commercial opportunity etc. AFL Tas has not been able to get Statewide footy up and running despite how many bites at the cherry?

Back to the OP I am close to leaving the game. COLA is cheating. Fans from every other battling club are entitled to be royally p....ed off. Some supporters have waited a lifetime for success whilst it is being handed to others on a platter.

Here's two quite prominent ones:

Shannon Grant - drafted by Swans

Nathan Buckley - drafted by Brisbane

How would you feel if Hodge had left after a year?
Somewhat different landscapes back when those players were lost to those clubs. Tenuous private ownerships, footballing frontiers in the case of Brisbane. Brisbane now are virtually guaranteed a spot in the game by way of AFL funding and the requirement to field a team in the 3rd largest city in Aust. The reason players leave there now are because the club is run poorly, not because they have a tenuous existence as it was in the 90s

It is actually supposed to be hard to retain everyone when you are successfull. That's the point of the cap as an equalisation measure.

Thanks Captain Obvious :drunk:. Doesn't change the fact that the balance isn't the same across the board.

Being able to retain that list would have been an advantage if that is all that Brisbane did but it isn't anyway.

Yeah because it totally stopped us losing our share of players right? Was great that Shane O'Bree, Des Headland, Craig Bolton and Jason Gram stuck around for the long haul.

Having beaten Essendon in a GF, Brisbane were able to take Caracella from Essendon

Yeah, and we were only able to afford to get him because of the cap space we had earmarked for our former No.1 draft pick who succumbed to the go home factor within 2 weeks after winning a premiership medal. We also gave up a former pick #6 in Damian Cupido and pick #15 for Caracella's two years of service. Hardly equivalent to the Sydney Franklin "poach" eh?

Also worth noting that Caracella was squeezed out of Brisbane after two years due to... you know it... salary cap pressure.

Brisbane were also able to pay Mal Michael's asking price to get him from Collingwood when he chased a big increase.

Revisionism. Mal Michael was still a relative nobody when we traded Jarrod Molloy for him. He was essentially only known as the bloke standing the mark when Plugger kicked his 1300th goal. Collingwood were considered well compensated in that trade at the time. Salary cap had nothing to do with it. If we were able to pay him overs it was because we lost Molloy, not to mention Matthew Clarke to the Crows that year.

Last edited:
Exactly.

They want to trade players in, but they should never lose a player.

Fantasy land, that up until now has been somewhat reality.
Countless times here, it has been explained how Sydney managed their list in order to afford Tippett and Franklin, and it had nothing to do with the CoLA.

You're a mod. You'd know your way round this site. Go read them yourself.

(Of course, don't ever let actual mathematics get in the way of your argument.)

disagree, stats have proven that cost of living is much higher in Sydney.

COLA should be raised to 20% of the salary cap.

Honestly don't care how much it costs to live where. They all get paid well enough to afford it. COL is a non issue to AFL footballers.

Yeah it's a joke

Imagine in 3 years

The premims will be GCS v swans
Gws v freo maybe

I mean geez won't that be exciting ....?NOT

It will be exciting for their supporters Dave....but for millions of others it will amount to an almost totally contrived outcome. I for one would prefer to see St Kilda/Western Bulldogs bob up and win 5 in a row by some miracle. I will be lost to the game during this period. Saving up for a boat and getting the fishing gear sorted already.

It will be exciting for their supporters Dave....but for millions of others it will amount to an almost totally contrived outcome. I for one would prefer to see St Kilda/Western Bulldogs bob up and win 5 in a row by some miracle. I will be lost to the game during this period. Saving up for a boat and getting the fishing gear sorted already.
With the fixture the way it is every year, the outcome is already contrived.

You might want to take out a loan for that dream boat, so you can start using it straight away.

Didn't we poach to big spuds who can't kick or mark? Everyone should be happy we are using big chunks of our crap to recruit spuds .

If those 2 are the level of player we use the cola on, shouldn't the rest of the football world be pushing to increase our cap so we can fill our entire list with overpaid spuds?

With the fixture the way it is every year, the outcome is already contrived.

You might want to take out a loan for that dream boat, so you can start using it straight away.

Nah the Hawks are up and about through hard work, determination and astute recruiting and trading atm. Worth watching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mick Malthouse demands Sydney help end now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back