News Mick Malthouse swipe at Eddie McGuire

Remove this Banner Ad

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

-Mick Malthouse
See, this is why Mick shouldn't try & be intellectual, everyone knows he means Albert Shwarzkopf.

What's been missed here is Mick didn't live up to his part of the bargain. He signed the contract saying he would stay on after the 2011 season had ended.

Not once have I seen anyone in the media having a go at Mick for breaking both his word and a contract.

That's why I'll never take anything the old fool says seriously ever again.
This is true. Nevertheless the president who I want running my club would have seen that in 2011 the plan had to be modified at the very least and would have acted accordingly. MM has a lot to answer for but that doesn't make him incorrect.

Up until the last round we had the best H&A season in the club's history.
1929 was the best home and away season with 0 losses.
Granted 18 game season.
But you can only win.

Mick helped wreck our chances in 2011 so he can fck right off. Our decision to replace him also was correct as proven by his inept stint at Carlton.

did you expect him to turn the Blues around in a few seasons? with all the concessions western suburbs and gold coast received? Collingwood and Hawthorn should consider themselves fortunate re timing of their re-builds, because it is taking clubs that have had to do it over the last 5-6 seasons considerably longer to achieve, if some will at all this decade.

While I think Bucks is not the right man for the job, MM was letting stuff go by certain players that had West Coast written all over it, whether he knew or not I don't know but it was happening under his nose.
Which makes it even more baffling that Keefe and Thomas were allowed to stay on as rookies from a club stand point because the club had seemed to have drawn a line in the sand.
People are kidding themselves if they think some of the players let go and their previous behaviour was just a bit mischievous and nothing much more.

I think the lawyers for Keeffe and Thomas told the club that these two weren't the only ones taking recreational drugs and if the two got sacked, then the players might talk to the media. I'm only speculating but I think a deal was done to keep them quiet. I agree with you about Malthouse letting stuff go. Its not a coincidence that the Coasters had drug issues when malthouse was there.

did you expect him to turn the Blues around in a few seasons? with all the concessions western suburbs and gold coast received? Collingwood and Hawthorn should consider themselves fortunate re timing of their re-builds, because it is taking clubs that have had to do it over the last 5-6 seasons considerably longer to achieve, if some will at all this decade.

please google "sydney swans football academy"

I think this gets over looked. When the succession plan was done we were mid table Couldn't beat the good sides look nowhere near winning a flag. Ed gifted him 2010 2011 he could have just not signed him after 2009. He had ten years and had not got us a premiership. You can see why the deal was done.

succession plans have more chance of success if it is initiated by the person being succeeded.

it was obvious Malthouse didn't want to stop coaching at Collingwood. If Eddie didn't want him, he should have tapped him on the shoulder and said thanks but time is up. it's moot though as hindsight will always determine removing MM as coach was the wrong decision. the method it was done doesn't matter. Collingwood made another GF in MM's final year.

Couldn't find a thread on the general forum so took the liberty of posting here.

It's a bit of a cliche but there is no i in team and there's only one i in Mick! Its always only ever been about Mick.

Bitter, self serving and deluded. The new breed of coaches have moved past Mick and are willing to adapt to changing times.

Can't say that I am a great fan of Buckley, but what purpose can be served by ditching him and Eddie 8 games in to a season ?

Who is the new great white hope to lead the Pies to the promised land, particularly as the immediate future appears to belong to the Giants? With Clarko re-signing there is no obvious stand out candidate. Also, with pressure on for regime change throughout the administration, the club could eat their own, a la Tigers. Which would be a shame as the Pies are well run, off field at least.

Just remember that the laissez-faire days of Mick where misdemeanors could be forgiven as long as players performed on field are no more. No more self reporting of recreational drug use and exemption from testing. I have no idea how many players are on one strike at my own club, if any, but second strike is a 4 week suspension. Imagine how destructive that could be to any club. So the strong anti drug emphasis by Pert has a very logical basis.

Admittedly Buckley appears to be skating on thin ice. He should be put on warning by the club that his position may be reviewed at the end of the year, not withstanding the contract renewal. Not sure if it's the coach or the cattle, but these things can turn around quickly with a few wins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just remember that the laissez-faire days of Mick where misdemeanors could be forgiven as long as players performed on field are no more. No more self reporting of recreational drug use and exemption from testing. I have no idea how many players are on one strike at my own club, if any, but second strike is a 4 week suspension. Imagine how destructive that could be to any club. So the strong anti drug emphasis by Pert has a very logical basis.

Just throwing it out there, but is it possible that a certain player that has a mystery knee injury, who dominated in the last game he played on Anzac day, and I could be mistaken, but I did not notice him coming off with an injury during that game...is it possible that he has had a second strike.

4 weeks from Anzac day would mean a return against Western Bulldogs in Round 10. Would be interesting to see what round he returns. Would make sense regarding the rumors about 'other stuff going on'.

Lets hope not, but something is going on, something stinks at the club at the moment.

Couldn't find a thread on the general forum so took the liberty of posting here.

It's a bit of a cliche but there is no i in team and there's only one i in Mick! Its always only ever been about Mick.

Bitter, self serving and deluded. The new breed of coaches have moved past Mick and are willing to adapt to changing times.

Can't say that I am a great fan of Buckley, but what purpose can be served by ditching him and Eddie 8 games in to a season ?

Who is the new great white hope to lead the Pies to the promised land, particularly as the immediate future appears to belong to the Giants? With Clarko re-signing there is no obvious stand out candidate. Also, with pressure on for regime change throughout the administration, the club could eat their own, a la Tigers. Which would be a shame as the Pies are well run, off field at least.

Admittedly Buckley appears to be skating on thin ice. He should be put on warning by the club that his position may be reviewed at the end of the year, not withstanding the contract renewal. Not sure if it's the coach or the cattle, but these things can turn around quickly with a few wins.

Thanks for the quality post. Much appreciated.

Things aren't nearly as dire as they would appear if all you had to go on was our board. Or even some of my posts, ha.

But there are some problems that have been ignored or glossed over. If we can deal with them we can make real progress.

I don't necessarily want everyone sacked tomorrow as the destabilisation could be counter productive and we would throw the baby out with the bath water. But I would like the club to admit that there are reasons why where we are now, rather than continually trotting our the line that we have a game plan and we have to just weather the storm and keep working until it clicks.

Your club has a culture of success and I both admire and envy it, whereas I think we have focused too much on the "biggest", the richest and the loudest club in the land. Don't get me wrong, these are some of the great pleasures of supporting Collingwood. Seeing the loathing in someone's eye when they find out who you follow can be a joyous thing.

We worship our own (rightly in many cases) but this makes it harder to make those tough decisions that are ultimately about winning premierships. Clearly the Malthouse situation still burns for many of us and if Bucks went, for example, at the end of this year it would cause a great deal of resentment for some of us. Even as someone who is openly tired of Nathan's lack of progress I would be deeply saddened to see him stand down. I'm a grown man of similar age to him but I still consider him something a role model and a legend of the game.

Hard times are hard, I guess.

don't need too. I see the young fellas at Henson Park on some of my own training sessions down there.

well keep training. you never know. a victorian club might have to draft you because nsw-based clubs are getting first access to all the good young players..

Just throwing it out there, but is it possible that a certain player that has a mystery knee injury, who dominated in the last game he played on Anzac day, and I could be mistaken, but I did not notice him coming off with an injury during that game...is it possible that he has had a second strike.

4 weeks from Anzac day would mean a return against Western Bulldogs in Round 10. Would be interesting to see what round he returns. Would make sense regarding the rumors about 'other stuff going on'.

Lets hope not, but something is going on, something stinks at the club at the moment.
No.

Last edited:
Remember Mick's performances in press conferences and his general interactions with the media when he was a coach? Churlish and aggressive to the point of childishness.

Imagine how he would have behaved if he was in Buckley's shoes this week? Quite different - certainly a helluva lot less dignified - than Buckley has been.

Regardless of whether one believes Bucks should stay or go, his preparedness to "own" the performance of the club has been outstanding. And will hopefully not be overlooked.

Mick has definitely tainted his legacy.

succession plans have more chance of success if it is initiated by the person being succeeded.

it was obvious Malthouse didn't want to stop coaching at Collingwood. If Eddie didn't want him, he should have tapped him on the shoulder and said thanks but time is up. it's moot though as hindsight will always determine removing MM as coach was the wrong decision. the method it was done doesn't matter. Collingwood made another GF in MM's final year.

dribble. he was happy to get an extension (coaching + DOF) when he'd been there a long time and hadn't won a flag.

the shit hit the fan when he won a flag and started sooking. but you know that and are just posting (trolling?) for fun.

Cant believe I am saying this but David King made an interesting point on Monday night. None of Collingwood's assistant coaches come from another team using a zone. The current crop of young coaches (Simpson, Beveridge, Bolton, Pyke) have experience in zone schemes.

When the clean out happens they need to bring in someone who has zoning IP. Luke Hodge if he retires would be interesting. Throw the sink at Ratten to be chief assistant.

dribble. he was happy to get an extension (coaching + DOF) when he'd been there a long time and hadn't won a flag.

the shit hit the fan when he won a flag and started sooking. but you know that and are just posting (trolling?) for fun.
Troll card. You forgot to yell UNO!

Wow, Henson Park. That used to be Newtown's home ground back in the old days of the Sydney RL, wasn't it?
Still is. They're a feeder club to the roosters in the NSW Cup - equivalent to the VFL. They use the ground Tuesday's and Thursday's. Swans Academy use it Monday's and Wednesday's

well keep training. you never know. a victorian club might have to draft you because nsw-based clubs are getting first access to all the good young players..
If they're after some bloke who runs masters 5-10kms and trail runs

Remove this Banner Ad

News Mick Malthouse swipe at Eddie McGuire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back