Oppo Camp Mick Malthouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Just putting the North spin on Malthouse's coaching career:

Mick Malthouse v NMFC coaches:
1984 - Cable 0 v Malthouse 2
1985-89 - Kennedy 4 v Malthouse 5 (1 draw)
1990-92 - Schimmelbusch 2 v Malthouse 2
1993-02 - Pagan 10 v Malthouse 8
2003-09 - Laidley 4 v Malthouse 6
2010, 2012-14 - Scott 0 v Malthouse 5
TOTAL - NMFC 20 v Malthouse 28 (1 draw)

4 finals - 1985 v Kennedy (MM by 30), 1993 v Pagan (MM by 51), 1995 v Pagan (NMFC by 58), 1997 v Pagan (NMFC by 13)

My favourites of the wins:
R19, 1991 by 3 points. The Eagles had only lost 1 game to this point of the year, but we held on after a great first half. Romero kicked 4 goals.
FSF, 1997 by 13 points. West Coast dominated for 3.5 quarters but McKernan and Pike were fantastic to drag us over the line. Carey beaten by Jakovich prompting "He who fear not the death of 1000 cuts will dare to unhorse the emperor." Classic Malthouse bullshit.
R19, 2005 by 6 points. Don't know if the Magpies tanked but this loss secured them Pendlebury and Thomas. Thompson kicked the winning goal with the last kick of the game.

My most horrible losses:
EF, 1993 by 51 points. Horrible end to a great season. Poor crowd see us concede 35 scoring scots to 14.
R1, 2007 by 3 points. Beaten by an umpire who couldn't count to 50. Even still, Shagga's shot was poo.
R16, 2011 by 117 points. This game was just shit.

Last edited:
Yeah, because those three premierships he coached were all flukes.

Sheez.

Edit: I would be happy for our current coach to be half as over rated as MM.
Yeah, because those three premierships he coached were all flukes.

Sheez.

Edit: I would be happy for our current coach to be half as over rated as MM.
Yeah, I am far from being an Eagles fan and Mick has never done a lot for me as a bloke.

But in the early 1990s he turned a team of very good players into a very good team. Not easy.

A lot of johnny-come-lately, bandwagon jumper AFL supporters (and believe me there are heaps of them over here who hitched themselves to the glitzy, glamorous West Coast Wagon) would have gone flag hungry for a lot longer if it were not for Mick.

4 finals - 1985 v Kennedy (MM by 30), 1993 v Pagan (MM by 51), 1995 v Pagan (NMFC by 58), 1997 v Pagan (NMFC by 13)

R19, 1991 by 3 points. The Eagles had only lost 1 game to this point of the year, but we held on after a great first half. Romero kicked 4 goals.
FSF, 1997 by 13 points. West Coast dominated for 3.5 quarters but McKernan and Pike were fantastic to drag us over the line. Carey beaten by Jakovich prompting "He who fear not the death of 1000 cuts will dare to unhorse the emperor." Classic Malthouse bullshit.
R19, 2005 by 6 points. Don't know if the Magpies tanked but this loss secured them Pendlebury and Thomas. Thompson kicked the winning goal with the last kick of the game.

My most horrible losses:
EF, 1993 by 51 points. Horrible end to a great season. Poor crowd see us concede 35 scoring scots to 14.
R1, 2007 by 3 points. Beaten by an umpire who couldn't count to 50. Even still, Shagga's shot was poo.
So do you have some kind of comprehensive filing system or, as the name suggests, just keep all of this in your head?

Maybe. But look who's just moved one up the queue and could be flicking the meter on sometime if he hangs around doing what he's doing for long enough.

View attachment 138071
It may happen if this playing group doesn't extract a digit.

Our expectations are as high as they should be this year after the club decided to take the long term approach, and this group hasn't claimed one scalp so far year.

I would like to be a fly on the wall if there has been a recent assessment on the coaching performances for 2015.

My most horrible losses:
IIRC, Daisy put in one of the all time classless and lairy performances that day. Hopefully, any of the North players who are still around from that game will take the opportunity during our game against Carlton in round 18 to remind Daisy just how far he's fallen since then.

As for posters expressing feelings of sympathy towards Carlton, Teffy summed it up best:
spit.jpg

Yes, they can keep the change. They're just * without the drugs.

I think Micks job with the list he inherited is comparable to Pagens, odd they both ended the same way,

never before have 2 sides, Carlton and Melbourne drafted so poorly with so many picks.

We knew the writing was on the wall after the delisted Digby Morrell

You can just see Mick joining Brucey baby for special comment duties a la Lethal Leigh down the track, cant you ?

i just heard that in my head with bruceys voice! lol

My most horrible losses:

Our 1995 'breakthrough' win against Malthouse's eagles felt especially poignant.

We were still a not quite there type team but we took out the reigning premiers by 10 goals in the H&A then did them by a similar margin in the finals.

Although we had a hiccup against them the next year it was somewhat of a changing of the guard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel for the members and supporters actually. Put their hand in their pockets year after year, only to be stuck in a circle of mediocrity that's been going 20 years. Blues are a modern day Richmond. Carlton would damn well want to get the next coaching selection right, otherwise they may as well close the doors.

Richmond are a modern day Richmond.

Brad Scott hasn't ruled out getting Malthouse to North in some capacity.
Hmm........... I think maybe he could add a different dimension to........................nah.

Wouldn't be any more humiliating than sacking the longest serving coach in history.
There's no embarrassment at all in sacking Mick. He was outdated when Collingwood chucked him. he took the club backwards, and never had a Plan B when his gameplan wasn't working.

The humiliation at Carlton should be for hiring him in the first place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back