Mick Malthouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Being Richmond coach is more than just coaching a footy team. You need to deal with all the club politics, coiterie crap and blokes like sheedy shhoting their mouth off and raising expectations about premierships.

A young coach like Hardwick may the right guy to coach the footy team, but there are very few coaches around with the mentality and experience to deal with the off field crap that always brings this club down.

Malthouse would be the only guy around that could deal with it. Sheedy could easily deal with politics, but he cant coach. Choco has proven at Port he is can take on sponsors and backroom blokes, but Port is junior rookie league when it comes to this kind of inbreeding

Very well summed up 1980.

It takes thick skin (a tan doesn't hurt :p) and a wise head to negotiate the off-field landmines at Richmond.

If there had to be a change then Malthouse would be acceptable IMO.

I think Double-M would be a good choice, even though he's 55, he may not be young but I think if Malthouse came over, he wouldnt take any **** from the players, he'd actually make them work there a**es off.

Also looking at the facts, he took West Coast to the 1991 Grand Final in his second year at the club, winning the premiership in 1992 and 1994, took the Eagles to the finals from 1990 to 1999, then you look at his record at Collingwood taking them to grand finals in 2002 and 2003 (his 3rd and 4th seasons at the club)... So I think if we grabbed Mick it would be a good move for us and he knows how to handle the pressure aswell.

You could have coached the W.A. state team to that record Bad Guy.

Hands off our coach!!

I think your best option is to go with a new generation coach like Hardwick. But I guess any new coach is a huge risk.

MM would fit your need for a low risk coach who can get results even with a poor list. However MM would not be in a position to rebuild the club nor would he want to as thats not his style - he is win at all costs type of guy. Instant results would be expected and he may get you some finals straight away but no premiership.

The Tigers need a rebuild - and I know you heard that 5 years ago when Terry took over - but not much has changed, the list has too many holes. Wallace was not the man to rebuild a club & MM isn't now either.

As long as the coach has a 'line in the sand' (sorry for the cliche) approach then I'm happy.. Too many players allowed to make excuses on our list.

I reckon Hardwick or Bond, I'm not sold on Malthouse as he's had 10 years at Collingwood with resources far superior to Richmonds.

It all depends on how Collingwood go this year. Anything less than preliminary final i think will see him leave the scum. And if he's on the market we would be crazy to look elsewhere. He has had a crap list at Collingwood yet they still make finals consistantly. To me that is a sign of a very good coach.

Obviously a good number of posters think this bloke is the goods for next year and beyond. Given what he has said in the media post the ANZAC day loss I wonder how many of you still feel the same way?

Personally I am disgusted that he would use the reference of letting down the ANZACS as some sort of mental mind games with players and supporters:thumbsdown:.

Is this the sort of coach the club wishes to employ?

Obviously a good number of posters think this bloke is the goods for next year and beyond. Given what he has said in the media post the ANZAC day loss I wonder how many of you still feel the same way?

Personally I am disgusted that he would use the reference of letting down the ANZACS as some sort of mental mind games with players and supporters:thumbsdown:.

Is this the sort of coach the club wishes to employ?

Not just his comments but his gameplan or lack thereof with 5 mins to go made me feel a lot better about TW.

Terry has always been blamed as a spin merchant but IMO Malthouse is the Spin King:thumbsu:

Every week it's the umpires to blame for his sides loss, not the players. He gets a game at the MCG 18+ times per year. The pies get a dream run with the draw each year and still are only a 5th to 8th side.

Bring him to Richmond and wait for it, bloody umpires, poor draw, poor this, poor that.......etc......etc......etc

NO THANKS:thumbsdown:

Terry has always been blamed as a spin merchant but IMO Malthouse is the Spin King:thumbsu:

Every week it's the umpires to blame for his sides loss, not the players. He gets a game at the MCG 18+ times per year. The pies get a dream run with the draw each year and still are only a 5th to 8th side.

Bring him to Richmond and wait for it, bloody umpires, poor draw, poor this, poor that.......etc......etc......etc

NO THANKS:thumbsdown:

Make no mistake, Mick is the best pure coach in the AFL. He gets just about every last drop out of his playing list - bar the pip.

But, after 10 years, their list is worse than in 2002/03 when they were in GF's.

And lets face it, most of those players were probably recruited under a different coach.

You want someone who has done it all - list management, trading, player development AND can coach for 10-15 years.

Like a Paul Roos (who is under contract) or Woosha (who isn't)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand you blokes i thought the media liked putting the knife into Terry not our own.I would like to see Terry coach us for the next 5 years i still rekon he will deliver our next p'ship cup FFS it's only round 6. He will get us into september action this year then everyone can eat humble pie.

You need to ask yourselves, do you want a year of finals next year or te year after or a succession of years in the top 4 challenging for the flag?
If it's the former, by all means campaign for Malthouse. if it's the latter then look for a young coach with fresh ideas. Similar to what Knighter is doing at Essendon.

I don't understand you blokes i thought the media liked putting the knife into Terry not our own.I would like to see Terry coach us for the next 5 years i still rekon he will deliver our next p'ship cup FFS it's only round 6. He will get us into september action this year then everyone can eat humble pie.

You would be surprised how many people think just like you.

Unfortunately selective mebers of the media and thousands of RFC fans want Wallace gone.:(

Alas I think the pressure on the board will see Wallace go. Imagine if we extend Wallace's contract another three years and start next year in similar fashion to this. The board would be under immense pressure to sack him. Media and fans will be calling for the board to be sacked and this will permenantly fracture the club.

For the record I would like to see Wallace continue what he started and coach for atleast three more years.:thumbsu:

I hope Terry Wallace does enough to keep the gig next year. He is as good as any of the other prospects we could consider, he just needs to find that magic wand he waved so well back in the dog days.

This is Terry's team, if anyone will find their best it is him. If we change coaches, even if it was Thompson or Clarkson, they would have to go back to square 1 and we would have 3 or 4 or 5 more ordinary rebuilding years. Richo will be in his 40s by then :) ... he will be playing in the Forward Pocket ^^

I hope Terry Wallace does enough to keep the gig next year. He is as good as any of the other prospects we could consider, he just needs to find that magic wand he waved so well back in the dog days.

This is Terry's team, if anyone will find their best it is him. If we change coaches, even if it was Thompson or Clarkson, they would have to go back to square 1 and we would have 3 or 4 or 5 more ordinary rebuilding years. Richo will be in his 40s by then :) ... he will be playing in the Forward Pocket ^^
Cheers

Malthouse has had 10 years to build a list.... Sure he gets the best out of the players he's got..... but....

Wallace hasn't completed 5 years and we want to replace him with a coach thats has had 10 years at the one club... and 15 years since he was successful with the west coast state team...

Lets just wait a few more rounds and see were the two clubs are sitting...

Don't think Mick is the answer. I tend to agree with nut, if we are going to get MM we may as well keep Terry. I'm reserving my judgement on the coaching situation for now ... but if we do bid Terry au revoir, a young coach is the way to go imo.

Interesting comment made by Sheedy on footy classified the other night, he said that the best option to coach Richmond next year would be Paul Roos.

And he basically said Terry's job is definitely up at the end of the year which i found interesting aswell.

I would hate for Roos to coach our club, i don't want us playing that boring brand of footy that Sydney play.

Start of thread ... Wallace has to go, get the pitchforks! We need Mick...

End of thread... Oh no one bad Collingwood game, Mick is a bad coach.... Keep Wallace!!

Media formed opinions... :thumbsdown:

Why do we need to change?

Are our 19,20 and 21 year olds not performing well enough for you?

We give wallace the boot at seasons end and bring in some umpire basher like Malthouse or some newby coach like we did with Gieshen and Frawley.:thumbsdown:

Give Wallace three more years and be done with it.

I have seen enough rebuilds in the last 3 decades. Let this coach continue what he started.:thumbsu:

Wouldn't be afraid of club politics, but wouldn't want to put up with them either. Malthouse has never coached a club without obscene amounts of money - Laidley's probably better on money-corrected stats.Go for Hardwick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mick Malthouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back