Rumour Mick Malthouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am starting this rumour.

We all know that when teams try to take us on through the corridor get spanked. Geelong in the Prelim is a prime example.
On Friday night, Mick and the boys basically allowed Richmond to win the third quarter by playing through the middle to give the Bombers a false sense of security and a "plan" to combat the press before the ANZAC day game.
Mark my words, if Essendon try that crap this week, it would be like lambs to the slaughter. Its going to be a massacre!
:D

I am starting this rumour.

We all know that when teams try to take us on through the corridor get spanked. Geelong in the Prelim is a prime example.
On Friday night, Mick and the boys basically allowed Richmond to win the third quarter by playing through the middle to give the Bombers a false sense of security and a "plan" to combat the press before the ANZAC day game.
Mark my words, if Essendon try that crap this week, it would be like lambs to the slaughter. Its going to be a massacre!
:D
Rubbish! Collingwood have always been vunerable to teams who move the ball quickly through the corridor, We rely on the pressure on the ball carrier and the next receiver to cause a turnover.
When that pressure is not 100% we can be carved up, MM would not screw with the side like that and the fact we fell down in the 3rd quarter was due to a lack of work ethic, nothing else.

Our game plan plays the percentages very well. If a team elects to play the corridor, it is very much a double edged sword. Yes you can punch through the zone but that requires two key things accuracy of disposal and numbers running forward. This is where the pies come into their own, Yes some teams can do this the problem is this tactic is very much a "Blitz" tactic. They can run as much as they like get a few goals but with the sub rule this year you waste too much "fuel" doing it. Once a team begins to drop disposal efficiency and fatigue up, its very much game over. Our superior fitness will mean that odds are we'll run out the game better.

I see teams who go for this perceived weakness as a very much last resort type tactic. I mean we saw it time and time again in 2010 and 2011, you turn it over against the pies, more likely you'll see it sailing past you head for another goal.
I mean the tigers did it 3 times on in the third and got away with it because they finally got some clean ball movement. But really... its April footy No one really plays out 4 qtrs. Well except for ANZAC day.

Malthouse doesn't even use the corridor in his own house , to get from the front door to the back door.

MM climbs along , hugging , the side fences of his property instead to get to the back door or front door.

I swear it's true

Source : MMs neighbours :p

One of the main problems about playing wide is that if the opposition win the footy they can hurt you on the scoreboard with a quick counter because defenders and other players are all out of position to put pressure on the footy. It has killed us for years because we would turn it over so much due to poor foot skills. We are a lot smarter and better by foot to be able to execute the game plan properly these days.

Leigh Matthews made an insightful comment during the broadcast about this. He said that he'd overheard one of the Richmond players during a break saying something to the effect of "Make sure you kick it long down the corridor and sooner or later we must break through..." Matthews comment was "Yes, sooner or later they will, but before then it will come back half a dozen times as a goal against them..."

Malthouse doesn't even use the corridor in his own house , to get from the front door to the back door.

MM climbs along , hugging , the side fences of his property instead to get to the back door or front door.

I swear it's true

thats actually quite funny. deserves its own thread.

a day in the life of MM - on the edge.

OP, you're aware that before we built up our fitness base to be able to sustain this gameplan, teams exposed us like that ALL the time with that sort of run?

We're not a quick team, and I still feel teams with real runners and real pace can expose us pretty badly.

Obviously some of you missed the lightheartedness of the thread except for Piece of Pie. :)
This forum was becoming way too serious for my liking wanted to change it up a bit. Sorry about that. ;-)

OP, you're aware that before we built up our fitness base to be able to sustain this gameplan, teams exposed us like that ALL the time with that sort of run?

We're not a quick team, and I still feel teams with real runners and real pace can expose us pretty badly.

built up the fitness base AND the physical size. once our key playmakers matured we were finally able to take on the likes of geelong, stkilda & hawthorn and not be intimidated.

speedy teams will trouble anyone, BUT they often fail on skill errors & poor mental strength, sacrificed in the name of speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I swear it's true

ROFL.:D

He also has the whole family, including the dogs and the cat, sitting around the front door to make sure no-one gets out.

hahaha. Love it.

I hear that Mrs Malthouse, Kristy, the cat and dog take turns rotating through the kitchen and the font door.

I hear that anytime Mick orders McDonalds he actually doesn't place an order... he simply gets the person at the counter to come to their own conclusion after numerous deep and confusing responses to their questions... something about why a Big Mac is not actually a Big Mac????

sorry mick is not a visionary in this instance. i reckon he's ripped it all off from John buchanan. The focus on training camps and elite fitness, mind games and the over extensive use of spreadsheets, psychological warfare with opponents, etc etc etc. i really think our current game plan is based on the "art of war" which John successfully implemented in the cricket team until 2007. Mick is just a copycat.

sorry mick is not a visionary in this instance. i reckon he's ripped it all off from John buchanan. The focus on training camps and elite fitness, mind games and the over extensive use of spreadsheets, psychological warfare with opponents, etc etc etc. i really think our current game plan is based on the "art of war" which John successfully implemented in the cricket team until 2007. Mick is just a copycat.

You realise Mick wrote "The Art of War."?....or at least was quoting from it 20 years ago.

If he copied anyone it was Sun Tzu.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Mick Malthouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back