Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the idea of playing Watson as a KPF ever since I saw his lead and mark up forward vs. Hawthorn (even though he missed the goal).

Please Mick ... give the boy a decent crack at the forward line.

We might as well.

Although in hindsight I'd also like us to play Watson when Jamo or Hendo is around more often to help with his development. Pairing him up with a inexperienced Rowe does nobody any favours.

Mick has my admiration. I dont get caught up in all the petty rivalry bs that taints others here perception of him.
Mick merely tolerates the press. He treats them with contempt. Why? Because they are contemptable. The bs that they say week in week out is just a joke. So lets not judge mick based on his press outings. He manipulates in the press, always trying to obfuscate . What matters is the message that is getting to the players. And what is that i hear you ask?
He asks for real commitment. To the team . To his game plan. To players playing a defined role ( see ya Laidler)
My firm view us that mick is getting the message through to the players. BUT there are some players that are just lazy and dumb. To pick out the worse WAITE. seriously this guy needs the biggest kick up the arse. IF he has a future still at carlton, then it will be on micks terms. Mick has sent him into the corner and rightly so. He consistently breaks team rules and is a piss poor example to the younger players. I dont care what happens to him at years end. He will either show mick that he finally gets it and will be a valuable team player next year, or he will be moved on. There will be a few teams interested in him, because his best is elite. Coaches like to think they can change players like waite, so there will be interest. If he does play for us, then we should play him on the wing where his flakiness doesnt disrupt our team structure too much.

The evidence that the mick message is getting through
Murphy. Finally starting to deal with his tags and leadership role
Gibbs. Playing his best season
Yarran playing his best season
White.great year
Rowe having a real impact
Casboult. Great fitness and starting to really believe in himself
Robinson. Has improved his disposal and decision making, to add to his undoubted courage and ball winning ability
Docherty. Playing well despite the lack of preseason. A real malthouse recruit
Everitt. Very versaltile. His stopping ability has been underrated. Now curnow is back we may see more games like his saints game.
Menzel. Another malthouse recruit. Great player
Buckley. Many had written him off. Mick resurected his career.
Henderson. This year injured. Last year under Mick, he really stepped up
Bell really working on his fitness and his role under mick. Injuries have stifled his momentum this year.
Johnston. Has been rewarded with a call up. Clearly a mick type of player.
Curnow. Absolute underrated player. Made huge steps last year under mick.

Thats 15 players that clearly are playing better, more team orientated football under Mick.
Add the following
Kreuzer. No need to improve his efforts
Judd champion
Thomas micks benchmark
Simpson . Club champion
Jamison. Always gives his best

Query under mick
Walker . Trade?
Waite trade?
Garlett . Needs to get past off field issues
McLean retire
Warnock. Trade if kreuzer is fit
Tuohy. Not sure why
Armfield. Give benefit of the doubt
Lucas . Is he being asked to work on his role in the 2's
Watson. dunno
Graham. Dunno
Temay. Dunno

I am happy with a core 20 that are clearly better under mick or are playing to their normal high standard. They are setting the tone for the club and the players. They form the basis of that indefinable thing that moves clubs forward. Add to this group. Cripps, giles, holman, reynolds who should be lapping up the malthouse philosophy, and we have a much more solid base to work from in micks final year in his contract.

As per post #682 :cool:

It was a close loss against Collingwood - there have been a number of close losses. The win against St Kilda was refreshing because the side on the paddock didn't let them back in for junk time goals. Haven't seen a Carlton side smash anyone - since that great elimination final against Essendon a couple of years back. How often have we seen a Waite type omitted ? You have to respect that. How great was it to see a battler like White kick 4? You have to respect that. How often have we seen a Carlton player bust a gut to run 50 meters knowing his team mate is walking into a goal ( Henderson) just so he can lay a bump on a chaser? Just fantastic stuff in my book.

Malthouse is doing the right thing as far as team selections go in my book. Gives the tick to blokes who go harder and sidelines blokes who are just soft. We want to see a fierce Carlton emerge out of the mess that the last ten years delivered. The hiding handed out to St Kilda I am looking forward to seeing handed out to a few Clubs who have rag dolled Carlton in the past - because we were stacked full of softies - who were entitled.

I want mongrel and I want it now - and I want the side to start hunting and hurting the opposition. Don't care about finals this year - from here we want a few fancied scalps so that Carlton looking forward becomes a favoured destination in trade and draft period.

Forget laying down and gambling on a a high pick - that is total BS.

It was a close loss against Collingwood - there have been a number of close losses. The win against St Kilda was refreshing because the side on the paddock didn't let them back in for junk time goals. Haven't seen a Carlton side smash anyone - since that great elimination final against Essendon a couple of years back. How often have we seen a Waite type omitted ? You have to respect that. How great was it to see a battler like White kick 4? You have to respect that. How often have we seen a Carlton player bust a gut to run 50 meters knowing his team mate is walking into a goal ( Henderson) just so he can lay a bump on a chaser? Just fantastic stuff in my book.

Malthouse is doing the right thing as far as team selections go in my book. Gives the tick to blokes who go harder and sidelines blokes who are just soft. We want to see a fierce Carlton emerge out of the mess that the last ten years delivered. The hiding handed out to St Kilda I am looking forward to seeing handed out to a few Clubs who have rag dolled Carlton in the past - because we were stacked full of softies - who were entitled.

I want mongrel and I want it now - and I want the side to start hunting and hurting the opposition. Don't care about finals this year - from here we want a few fancied scalps so that Carlton looking forward becomes a favoured destination in trade and draft period.

Forget laying down and gambling on a a high pick - that is total BS.
While as a supporter I'm excited about the talent we could get with a nice pick in the draft I'd rather we not lay down.

Tanking and throwing in the towel build a lazy and soft culture. Tanking for a good pick does more damage than the pick will do us good

What about last year against Fremantle?
Imo Watson isn't fast enough for the forward line, at least not full time.

He needs to play back line with jamo as 3rd tall. Jamo and hendo back there would be awesome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imo Watson isn't fast enough for the forward line, at least not full time.

He needs to play back line with jamo as 3rd tall. Jamo and hendo back there would be awesome.
To be fair there are loads of KPF who aren't fast. J Brown to start.

I honestly don't care if he plays forward or back... just desperately want him to work. :straining:

To be fair there are loads of KPF who aren't fast. J Brown to start.

I honestly don't care if he plays forward or back... just desperately want him to work. :straining:
If you're not fast you need to be strong and hold your position very well (think tom Hawkins, lockett, Tippet.)

I've always been a fan of defenders and Watson looks like one to me. I want him to work out but I can't see him gaining confidence from the same jeers Hampson and Henderson have received

If you're not fast you need to be strong and hold your position very well (think tom Hawkins, lockett, Tippet.)

I've always been a fan of defenders and Watson looks like one to me. I want him to work out but I can't see him gaining confidence from the same jeers Hampson and Henderson have received
1. He is strong.

2. You're not wrong.

1. He is strong.

2. You're not wrong.
He is strong but not enough to find off would be AFL level defenders also takes Alot of good ball judgement. Watson is a defender and needs to play afl games not on the #1 or #2 forward in top teams.

Anyone who has actually seen a vfl game would know the differences between it and afl and as a defender it takes good knowledge of the flow etc to learn when to peel off your man, run to someone else's and how long you have before being taken down.

The best KPP recruit can't even make the instant step up.

SOS got towelled up a couple times early on.

He is strong but not enough to find off would be AFL level defenders also takes Alot of good ball judgement. Watson is a defender and needs to play afl games not on the #1 or #2 forward in top teams.

Anyone who has actually seen a vfl game would know the differences between it and afl and as a defender it takes good knowledge of the flow etc to learn when to peel off your man, run to someone else's and how long you have before being taken down.

The best KPP recruit can't even make the instant step up.

SOS got towelled up a couple times early on.
Nice. Thanks HD.

So where would you say his best position thus far is? 3rd Tall? CHB or FB?

Nice. Thanks HD.

So where would you say his best position thus far is? 3rd Tall? CHB or FB?
I would say he would make a good FB in the future right now I'd try and play him as a 3rd tall.
I don't think he has the tank to play on those roaming CHF type you get these days as they cover Alot of ground. His big boot would be handy from deep defence as well

That's all fine but if we're still hearing about this supposed process come this time next year I will be concerned.

Carlton's process or road back up the ladder will take another year or two at the shortest and that is with good drafting and trading. My gut says we might peak in about 3 years time, after that who knows.

All you guys are dreaming Watson is not god enough,looks like Tarzan plays like Jane,lucky he is contracted for next year .He has not played one decent game in the firsts .I would love to be proved wrong

All you guys are dreaming Watson is not god enough,looks like Tarzan plays like Jane,lucky he is contracted for next year .He has not played one decent game in the firsts .I would love to be proved wrong

That's just not true.

Watson clearly hasn't come on as quickly as most would have hoped but to say he hasn't played any decent football at senior level is a complete fallacy. Had some very promising games in both 2011 and 2012 as a 19 and 20 year old before succumbing to injury in both seasons.

As for "looks like Tarzan plays like Jane", that snide observation is usually reserved for players who are soft. Now, he may not have rag-dolled anyone at senior level (tough to do as a young player) but that certainly doesn't equate to him being soft - and I certainly can't recall any instances where he's pulled out of a contest.

I'd like to think we can have discussions regarding players on our list without having to make up complete and utter garbage.

The best point of comparison when talking about giving Watson a chance is Levi "best hands in the AFL" Casboult.

Was being lapooned as useless at the start of the year, but 12 games this year and he's now finally coming into some form. Give the kids a decent crack, and dont make them play on the best opposition, and they will grow into the role. Levi is 2 years older and is only now showing signs of being a future best 22 player.

That's just not true.

Watson clearly hasn't come on as quickly as most would have hoped but to say he hasn't played any decent football at senior level is a complete fallacy. Had some very promising games in both 2011 and 2012 as a 19 and 20 year old before succumbing to injury in both seasons.

As for "looks like Tarzan plays like Jane", that snide observation is usually reserved for players who are soft. Now, he may not have rag-dolled anyone at senior level (tough to do as a young player) but that certainly doesn't equate to him being soft - and I certainly can't recall any instances where he's pulled out of a contest.

I'd like to think we can have discussions regarding players on our list without having to make up complete and utter garbage.

I think people confuse lacking in confidence with being soft at times. I don't see Watson as being soft, i think he does lack in the confidence which may only come with an extended run in the senior team. Unless he gets that opportunity i don't think we will ever know definitively whether he can play at this level or not.

That's just not true.

A couple of VFL opponents believe that he has the ability to make it but think he's really soft (no physicality as opposed to shitting himself) and I recall him looking pretty nervous when playing against Jesse Hogan, that said it isn't the end of the world and there's a chance that he becomes more in tune with the physical side of the game as he becomes more confident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back