Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly are you saying?

Port had picks before Carlton in 2008 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 and may well finish in the lower order of the final 8.

Don't get caught up in the moment as things change pretty quickly. Hero today..........zero tomorrow.

thats true - in 12 months we may well be in front of Port (in fact I think we will go past them soon)

just comparing the past 20 months for both clubs who gained new senior coaches at the same time.

Hinkley in 2013 was sensational - and the AFL coaches association gave him coach of the year in his first year. And so far this year, Hinkley has knocked off the Hawks, Cats, Freo, Pies and went within a kick against the swans in Sydney. They are in a flat spot at the moment - lets see how they perform leading up to the finals.

As far as the blues go, the past 20 months have been less than satisfactory IMO

things can turn around very quickly.

thats true - in 12 months we may well be in front of Port (in fact I think we will go past them soon)

just comparing the past 20 months for both clubs who gained new senior coaches at the same time.

Hinkley in 2013 was sensational - and the AFL coaches association gave him coach of the year in his first year. And so far this year, Hinkley has knocked off the Hawks, Cats, Freo, Pies and went within a kick against the swans in Sydney. They are in a flat spot at the moment - lets see how they perform leading up to the finals.

As far as the blues go, the past 20 months have been less than satisfactory IMO

things can turn around very quickly.

No argument that any of us would have been applauding what we've seen in recent times.

The difference I feel is that we'd identified the issues earlier than may have been done otherwise........where that will take us? We'll see.

No argument that any of us would have been applauding what we've seen in recent times.

The difference I feel is that we'd identified the issues earlier than may have been done otherwise........where that will take us? We'll see.

My only issue is that Mick had the entire 2012 season away from football, with only media commitments and his book to write.

I was very disappointed that he apparently didnt identify these issues even before he entered the club. Or at least after a solid pre season with the list.

This isnt all bad- because a few steps backwards could mean a giant leap forward.

In any case, the Mick/Wiley show is on trial for the rest of the year and the first few months of next year.

I doubt that our club would tolerate a repeat of the first half of 2014 next year.

My only issue is that Mick had the entire 2012 season away from football, with only media commitments and his book to write.

I was very disappointed that he apparently didnt identify these issues even before he entered the club. Or at least after a solid pre season with the list.

This isnt all bad- because a few steps backwards could mean a giant leap forward.

In any case, the Mick/Wiley show is on trial for the rest of the year and the first few months of next year.

I doubt that our club would tolerate a repeat of the first half of 2014 next year.

You seem to be new here deGalt Shift but this has been discussed in some detail.
We had to get a lot of things right behind the scenes before we could get them right on the field.

Malthouse seems to have done a very good job to date but will need full support of the board to continue.

You seem to be new here deGalt Shift but this has been discussed in some detail.
We had to get a lot of things right behind the scenes before we could get them right on the field.

Malthouse seems to have done a very good job to date but will need full support of the board to continue.

you are happy with the progress so far under Mick?

where do you think we have improved over the past 20 months?

Such an unfair question. Easier to point out failures than successes this early into a coaching stint. One person's idea on improvement is another's "not good enough". I'm confident MM will take us were we want to go. But that's me.

Footballing department. Player cohesion. Recruitment. Player Development (by miles) for starters but I'll reserve full judgement for a later date.

The whole club has to breathe as one, so there are some hurdles to get over just yet.

I reckon our list has improved under Malthouse and it will be given another ramp up at the end of this season too. When he has the cattle (and they are "his" cattle) to really work with only then will we see what he is capable of.

It'll also be the right time to turn on the blowtorch too if it is warranted.

Footballing department. Player cohesion. Recruitment. Player Development (by miles) for starters but I'll reserve full judgement for a later date.

The whole club has to breathe as one, so there are some hurdles to get over just yet.

Give it an inch either way.........we've lost half a dozen games under 15 points, been pretty much in every game bar the Collingwood/Essendon debacles. Gibbs is elite, Murphy/Simpson have worked their way through tags, the imports have added stability.

I mean it's bloody hard when your best ruck, and the best mid of the last 20 years aren't out on the park. A couple have gone backwards, Carrots/McLean, and Scotland/that photo idiot/Duigan, cuts a dirty great hole in the list.

Plenty of positives individually and when it all clicks, like the North game, we play a pretty good brand.

I reckon our list has improved under Malthouse and it will be given another ramp up at the end of this season too. When he has the cattle (and they are "his" cattle) to really work with only then will we see what he is capable of.

It'll also be the right time to turn on the blowtorch too if it is warranted.

Did Chris Scott need a complete revamp of the cattle when he took over the cats at the end of 2010?

The cats even lost their best player in Gaza at that time.

The cats went on and won the 2011 flag after beating Micks reigning premiers in the GF

They also only lost 2 games by a kick or so, for the whole season. Their best season ever!

Hinkley also had an immediate effect on the Port list when he took over at the same time as Mick took over the blues.

Are you saying that the poor results in the 2013 season and in the 2014 season thus far, have been due to a poor list?

Mick has milked the most that he can from this list since arriving here?

I cant see how we are performing to our maximum and improving

(even Essendon are out performing us this year, and they have a lot on their plate at the moment. North have a similar quality list to ours - perhaps poorer and yet will most likely play finals)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mick is fixing the culture, sorting out the boys from the men, and indirectly improving recruitment - which is about all he can do with a poor list currently

We are lucky to have him to oversee the rebuilding of the list and culture

With respect here Rodney, he inherited a premiership winning list and then won one himself with it so this is an extremely long bow you've drawn even by my lofty standards.

Scott took a list that lost its premiership coach and best player at the end of 2010 and improved it to the point that Geelong produced its best season ever.

And Scott, was also AFLCA coach of the year in his first year in 2011.

The bow that I am trying to draw, is not to compare the Cats with carlton. But rather to highlight whether a coach has improved the team performance or not.

SO far. I dont think Mick has had a big effect - in some areas we have improved, in others we have gone backwards.

We hired him on a very high salary to produce results - that doesnt mean we needed to win the flag last year or even this year. But I havent seen any major improvement team wise, and more importantly LEADERSHIP wise

And personally I like Mick Malthouse - he has a good balance between the modern and traditional aspects of the game.

But hey, he is at carlton now Rodney, and we all know what standards Carlton demands (even though the past decade has told us that our standards and expectations have dropped)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back