rockdog

Senior List
Oct 16, 2003
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Cousins, Judd, kerr, Gardiner
Fletcher, Chick, Jones, Braun

We must have one of the best midfields in the comp?
should we have offered one of them to get a good forward, as this is the area we need a fix most.

Jonathon Hay is rumoured to want to come home every year, will he ever play for the Eagles?

Originally posted by rockdog

should we have offered one of them to get a good forward, as this is the area we need a fix most.

Jonathon Hay is rumoured to want to come home every year, will he ever play for the Eagles?

We have one of the best, but not the best. I would rank our midfield 3rd behind Brisbane and Port. We need to have a decent spine before we can ever make a serious assault on the flag.

Hay will be always rumoured, but I see him playing his time out at Hawthorn.

With no Nick Stevens and Francou coming back from injury, Port would have to fall well back.

Only Brisbanes is better. But another year out of Judd and Kerr who are always improving. Embley's arrival to the party and the ever present Benny C I dont think it will be long before we are touted as the best midfield in the league.

Jod, you sound like you're reviewing a cartoon. 'Archie, well he's your freckly everyman. Jughead's his food-obsessed best pal with a heart of gold. Reggie's the good-looking cad mining for cooze, and you can always count on Moosey-boy for a bit of 'D-uh Reggie, youse is kissing my girl'.

Originally posted by RogerMellie
Jod, you sound like you're reviewing a cartoon. 'Archie, well he's your freckly everyman. Jughead's his food-obsessed best pal with a heart of gold. Reggie's the good-looking cad mining for cooze, and you can always count on Moosey-boy for a bit of 'D-uh Reggie, youse is kissing my girl'.

And you sound like the perfect Mr Weatherbee

it's not the forward line that we have to worry about it's our defence. with a strong hard running midfield that can deliver the ball into the forward line quickly we will be on top of the scoring side.

our problem is that we do not have the players to play on the likes of tredrea, lynch, llyod, rocca etc.

Originally posted by noodle
it's not the forward line that we have to worry about it's our defence. with a strong hard running midfield that can deliver the ball into the forward line quickly we will be on top of the scoring side.

our problem is that we do not have the players to play on the likes of tredrea, lynch, llyod, rocca etc.

i think it is your forward line that is your problem...the problem is that your midfield doesnt have a tredrea, lynch, llyod, rocca etc. to feed the ball to
i like your team very much but for u to be a real premiership contender you need a awesome KPP forward

Originally posted by rockdog

All the top sides have gun midfielders.
But I dare say that midfield has peaked.
The likes of Cousins,Fletcher,Chick and Braun are as good as they are going to get.
Where as Freo's....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep Judd, Kerr, Braun, Jones, Embley have all peaked, you are correct. Sabre, can you please give us more insight into our team, your ideas are interesting.

Re: Re: Midfield best in AFL

Originally posted by sabre_ac
All the top sides have gun midfielders.
But I dare say that midfield has peaked.
The likes of Cousins,Fletcher,Chick and Braun are as good as they are going to get.
Where as Freo's....

...#1 midfielder and playmaker turns 28 before the next season starts.

Our best 6 is probably
Gardiner/Kerr/Judd
Embley/Cousins/Fletcher

All under 25. All sublimely talented right now, all could be reasonably expected to have better form in front of them. Or is there some clause I'm not aware of where West Coast players peak at 23-24??

Sabre, some of the stuff you've been coming out with lately is bloody stupid, even by your standards.

Brisbanes midfield
v1, akkers, black, lappin, the krays, chris johnson

Collingwood
Woewodin, licuria, holland, buckley, burns

Freo
Bell, Pavlich, haselby, mcmanus

St Kilda
Harvey, hayes, powell, dal santo, jones,

Hawthorn
Crawf, mitchell, Lekkas

etc

there are some pretty good midfields out there.

west coast are in the mix with some good players, but their BIGGEST asset is 11 home games plus the derby, your midfield is like a soufle, doesn't travel well.

Originally posted by noodle
it's not the forward line that we have to worry about it's our defence.

Agreed. Our midfield is the area of weakness.

I don't think we need any more forwards. There's heaps, but they're all 22 and under.

Originally posted by dan warna
west coast are in the mix with some good players, but their BIGGEST asset is 11 home games plus the derby, your midfield is like a soufle, doesn't travel well.

Considering all teams get 11 home games, I think thats a pretty cr@p advantage to have...

West Coast won at Telstra Dome, the MCG and the GABBA in 2003. Who says we can't travel :confused:

Originally posted by daddy_4_eyes
Considering all teams get 11 home games, I think thats a pretty cr@p advantage to have...

West Coast won at Telstra Dome, the MCG and the GABBA in 2003. Who says we can't travel :confused:

I'll drink to that. If anyone has some time to waste, I'd be interested to see our away W/L this year compared to most other teams. Must have been reasonable, I'd say?

As for our midfield, its bloody good, not because of the quality of the top 1-3 players- most teams have one star and a couple of very good players- but the overall starting six is pretty much as classy as any group going around, doubly so when you factor in the ruckman. Gardiner/Kerr/Judd, Embley/Cousins/Fletcher (yes i love saying that :)) That's 3 elite level players in Cousins, Gardiner and Judd, and 3 very good players in Kerr Embley Fletcher. All young, all with potential improvement ahead of them.

I'd be interested to see how our other teams match up against those six. My general impression is the first 2 or 3 in any team are comparable, but most sides can't field such sustained quality, who are all young and all have another 5-6 years together.

If there is one thing our midfield does lack, its a decent sized, fast, pure tagging player to come off the bench- I have high hopes for Selwood.

mmm now what happened when you played lowly st kilda with your all star midfield?

you've got a good side, but flogging the doggies doesn't really count, even we did that.

your midfield has to lift another two notches to get past the lions, as do all the clubs.

one notch to get past collingwood but your in the top of the middle rung of midfields.

even collingwood realise this thats why they hunted stevens.

Freo are prob the best side sitting pat.

you have two kids in kerr and judd who will get better and cousins is a s good as he's going to be.

Originally posted by dan warna
mmm now what happened when you played lowly st kilda with your all star midfield?

you've got a good side, but flogging the doggies doesn't really count, even we did that.

your midfield has to lift another two notches to get past the lions, as do all the clubs.

one notch to get past collingwood but your in the top of the middle rung of midfields.

even collingwood realise this thats why they hunted stevens.

Freo are prob the best side sitting pat.

you have two kids in kerr and judd who will get better and cousins is a s good as he's going to be.

If you're going to troll, on team boards, least you could do is do your research. Second time we played St Kilda this year, the simple answer was that we didn't play them with our allstar midfield. We were without Gardiner/Embley/Fletcher, in other words, 3 of our top 6.

When we played St Kilda with our allstar midfield we thrashed them by more than 10 goals.

And incidentally, we didn't flog the dogs, or even play them in Melbourne, if thats what you're suggesting? But how does Brisbane by 60pts at the gabba sound?

Tell me though, I'm curious, why is Cousins not going to improve? He's 24, and actually had a pretty average year thanks to persistent injury concerns and half a pre-season. I'll say it again- the thing that sets our midfield apart from pretty much every other one in the competition is that every one of the key contributors is under 25, so all have further development ahead of them. Aside from Cousins, most of the other members of the elite midfield class around the league (eg, Crawford, Buckley, McLeod, Voss) are all 26 and above, with Simon Black being the only real exception.

Originally posted by llosis
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Please tell me that's a typo and you meant 'defence'.

Yeah I meant defence!!! No way in hell is or midfield our weakness!!! My brain's fried from too much Human Bio study!!! Exam tommorow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Midfield best in AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back