Midfield is still more of a problem than the forward line...

Remove this Banner Ad

I assume Mundy and Hill were playing on Gaff and Rosa on the wings. If they were they were appalling. Don't even want to talk about Duffield. Or Clark for that matter.

I dont think we have any mids that fall into the Priddis/Shuey/Kerr class in terms of natural ball winners.

Mundy was played behind the ball, Im assuming that's because of last weeks molestation.

We looked ridiculous in the middle today.

Neale, Ballas and Pearce onball at one stage.

How the hell are you meant to compete with a bunch of short people and small frame mids against hardened bodies?

Probably need to see what we can get for Barlow.

The most apparent things at ground level was our inability to get first hands from the ruck knock and a reactive mindset.

West Coast hunted the ball then spread with purpose.

Torched us.

At great risk of being abused here i am going to draw attention to the main problem we have at stoppages and centre bouncedowns.
Look at the replay of today's game and the opening bounce of the last qtr.
When Ross Lyon was appointed , I thought now we have a coach who will make the controversial decisions, necessary.

I thought Sandi would have been dropped after the Hawthorn game , but no .
Watch his ruckwork at the opening bounce of the last qtr and tell me that he has any idea about effective tapping or palming or whatever you want to call it.

Sandilands has returned to the form of many years ago when you would consider us to be 1 down when he was on the field.

But we're also lacking a "first hands" player.

We've never ever had one apart from Haselby and Fletcher.

And for us not to have looked to replace or regularly draft such a player is absolutely criminal.

Just listened to Ross´press conference.

He again identified the midfield as our main liability or achilles heel.

Our lack of spread. Our lack of run and use of the ball. Getting smashed in the stoppages particularly in the second quarter. Identified a lack of depth in the middle. Thought Mundy and Barlow are still working back into it. Missing Fyfe and Mora.

Spoke of possibly putting De Boer and Mayne in there.

Noted we had 7 inside 50´s after half time!!!!! Lost the clearances 14 to nil in the second term. Thought the defence held up well.

Walters got a mention of possibly coming into the forward line to allow Mayne or De Boer to go up the ground.

Thought the three tall defenders and 2 ruckman (talks of Zac as a forward) didn´t work today as we lacked run, particularly out of defence.

Our lack of spread. Our lack of run and use of the ball. Getting smashed in the stoppages particularly in the second quarter. Identified a lack of depth in the middle. Thought Mundy and Barlow are still working back into it. Missing Fyfe and Mora.

Noted we had 7 inside 50´s after half time!!!!! Lost the clearances 14 to nil in the second term. Thought the defence held up well.

Walters got a mention of possibly coming into the forward line to allow Mayne or De Boer to go up the ground.

Thought the three tall defenders and 2 ruckman (talks of Zac as a forward) didn´t work today as we lacked run, particularly out of defence.

Certainly agree with the Deboer bit. I thought when he played up the ground today he was very good. Mayne is hard at it. Always liked him as a half forward playing up the ground.
Personally, I would drop Clark nor Griffen, Clark was a disgrace today. I gather you mean Zac Dawson up forward?

Won a fair bit of his own ball during the U18s. The problem was he burned it with every touch, hence "de Clanger".

Since his disposal has picked up a bit, we could do worse than see what he has to offer in the midfield.

Sounds ominous for Silvagni but I thought he was decent today on a very hard day for defenders - would be really harsh to be dropped on the back of a game that was lost by the mids and the complete lack of a forward line (which falls on the selectors). If McPhee is coming back, time to shift one of McPharlin/Silvagni forward, we desperately need a forward target (or 3), especially if Pav isn't going to stay there. Utter madness to deliberately use Pav and Ballantyne as mids and then select no actual forwards or replacement targets.

De Boer should have been released to the midfield two years ago. Mayne's been tried there before without success but hell he couldn't be any worse than what we have at the moment. Lower simply has to come in to give us a presence/grunt around the stoppages.

Clarke was deplorable up forward (didn't even try to bring the ball to ground at times, failed to tackle again and was better when he went into the ruck in the last qtr) but if he's a forward/ruck then Sandi and Griffen can't play in the same team, especially whilst Sandi is in a timewarp back to 2004/5. If Sandi was in 2010 form then it wouldn't be such a waste of a runner.

Ballas needs to be back in the forward line. He has lost his edge. Running down defenders and getting into their headspace is when he is at his best. When he is up and about it seems to drag the rest of the team with him. Maybe Pav needs to stay in the middle for the time being to throw himself about and get forward movement along with Lowers grunt. SOS in gives us the option to have him or Elvis go forward to replace Pav. Just an opinion anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

shame we didn't delist a couple more cloggers and pick Magner and Horsely

Id like to see Pav in the Matthew Richardson role on a wing. Play on a wing. Rest in the forward pocket. As Eagles showed today thats a clear area of weakness. Stick Pav on one wing and IMO Ibbotson on the other (a spell back in the midfield might help him turn his form around).

Id like to see Pav in the Matthew Richardson role on a wing. Play on a wing. Rest in the forward pocket. As Eagles showed today thats a clear area of weakness. Stick Pav on one wing and IMO Ibbotson on the other (a spell back in the midfield might help him turn his form around).

Richo's tank was phenomenal, even better than Riewoldt's, and while Pav often started off the wing last year he couldn't do it for the extended periods required for that sort of role.

Yeah, you'd like to see that, wouldn't you?

Bloody depressing our midfield at the moment.

I just hope Mundy gets back to form with increased fitness as does Barlow. Although Barlow should be at peak fitness as he didn´t really miss that much of the pre-season, just a few NAB cup matches. Maybe he´s just a hack like Palmer.

Broughton´s not a mid either.

Crowley is horrible.

Hill is a wingman or back flanker,.

Suban has been a disappointment.

Crichton doesn´t have the tank to be an AFL level midfielder. Never will.

Pitt has lost all confidence and has never been one to rack up the ball anyway.

Sheridan shows potential.

Mitchie was looking great until injury hit.

Fyfe and Mora out injured on on the way back from injury.

Neale is still a baby.

Pearce has been our best mid this year although was quiet on the weekend.

Lower is on the outer.

Van berlo is a hack. De list.

I completely understand why Lyon has been trying to turn Ballas into a mid. We need more depth urgently. More class and more run.

Our midfield depth is terrible.

Bloody depressing our midfield at the moment.

I just hope Mundy gets back to form with increased fitness as does Barlow. Although Barlow should be at peak fitness as he didn´t really miss that much of the pre-season, just a few NAB cup matches. Maybe he´s just a hack like Palmer.

Broughton´s not a mid either.

Crowley is horrible.

Hill is a wingman or back flanker,.

Suban has been a disappointment.

Crichton doesn´t have the tank to be an AFL level midfielder. Never will.

Pitt has lost all confidence and has never been one to rack up the ball anyway.

Sheridan shows potential.

Mitchie was looking great until injury hit.

Fyfe and Mora out injured on on the way back from injury.

Neale is still a baby.

Pearce has been our best mid this year although was quiet on the weekend.

Lower is on the outer.

Van berlo is a hack. De list.

I completely understand why Lyon has been trying to turn Ballas into a mid. We need more depth urgently. More class and more run.

Our midfield depth is terrible.

Think Pitt started the season late, he is building. Has spent a lot of time in his early games on the bench. A fit Pitt is what we needed on Gaff, not mzungu or whoever else might have been on him. Lower is building condition. we have enough guys in the team at the moment who can't run out 4 quarters. That is why he is being held out and why morabito won't play for quite a while yet. Barlow's game is slowly improving, it is just his disposal that is letting him down at the moment. We can be pretty confident he will get that back. Suban has been improving in the wafl every week and will be close to a recall imo. It looks like Crozier and Sheridan will be introduced into the side soon to improve our midfield class and run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Midfield is still more of a problem than the forward line...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back