Midnight Oil - 50 to 1

Remove this Banner Ad

30. Hercules - Species Deceases

29. Naked Flame - Head Injuries

28. Powderworks - Midnight Oil

27. Burnie - Place Without a Postcard

I've listened to this track a heap in the last week or two, the acoustic version from Scream in Blue is so bloody good. It's definitely gone up a couple of spots in recent days.

26. Drums of Heaven - Earth and Sun and Moon

Awesome baseline, great guitar sound, another underrated album track from Earth.

25. Golden Age - Capricornia

24. No Reaction - Head Injuries

I'm pretty sure this didn't make Zuma's top 50 but it's a ripper of a track from one of the greatest albums of all time. Straight up rock'n'roll that should just be turned up loud.

23. Sometimes - Beds are Burning

22. Cemetery in My Mind - Redneck Wonderland

This is another song I was very surprised to see missing from Zuma's list. It's the only track I revisit regularly from the underwhelming late 90's era. A true diamond in the rough.

21. Koala Sprint - Head Injuries

Last edited:
30 - Cold Cold Change - Head Injuries

29 - Nothing Lost/Nothing Gained - Midnight Oil

The first "slow" song I can remember falling in love with.

28 - Loves On Sale - Place Without a Postcard

27 - Armistice Day - Place Without a Postcard

This year on Armistice Day I will see Midnight Oil perform Armistice Day. Now theres a tick for your bucket list!

26 - Somebody's Trying to Tell Me Something - 10,9,8,...

25 - When The Generals Talk - Red Sails in the Sunset

24 - Burnie - Place Without a Postcard

23 - U.S. Forces - 10,9,8...

Might be the first controversy from my countdown. Great Song but even "back then" wasn't a personal favourite.

22 - Used and Abused - Midnight Oil

21 - Knifes Edge - Wedding Cake Island EP

Another underrated gem

20. Mosquito March - Capricornia

19. Dreamworld - Beds are Burning

18. Written in the Heart - Place Without a Postcard

17. Stars of Warburton - Blue Sky Mine

Forget your Blue Skies and Mountain Kings this is the best song from Blue Sky Mining by a country mile. The live version from Scream in Blue in particular is just awesome. It's pretty much a love letter to our great country and the final verse never fails to get a grip on you.

Over the hills and mountains we go, so far, so far away
For the ring of the axe on the ironbark, for the smell of the wallaby stew
From the golden reefs to the sandstone cliffs
Came the sheep of the Mallee plain
The wind blew the soil to the Orient, we'll be shouting to the skies again

16. Put Down That Weapon - Beds are Burning

I love what Peter does with his vocal here, it gives the song quite an eerie feel. Jim's keyboard work compliments Peter's vocal perfectly making Weapon sound and feel different from anything else in their catalogue.

15. Read About It - 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

14. Jimmy Sharman's Boxers - Red Sails in the Sunset

13. Bullroarer - Beds are Burning

12. Dead Heart - Beds are Burning

11. US Forces - 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

20 - Head over Heels - Midnight Oil

19 - If Ned Kelly Was King - Place without a Postcard

18 - Minutes to Midnight - 10,9,8,....

An Oils track that is infinitely better live.

17 - Quinella Holiday - Place Without a Postcard

16 - I'm the Cure - Wedding Cake Island.

The Oils do PUNK!

15 - Section 5 (Bus to Bondi) - Head Injuries

14 - The Power and the Passion - 10,9,8,.....

13 - Run by Night - Midnight Oil

A personal favourite to Garrett dance to...

12 - Brave Faces - Place Without a Postcard

11 - Surfing with a Spoon.

The song so good I bought the t-shirt.

Agent13 Top 10 straight away or split it into 5's?

10. Stand in Line - Head Injuries

9. Brave Faces - Place Without a Postcard

8. Cold, Cold Change - Head Injuries

7. Best of Both Worlds - Red Sails in the Sunset

6. Kosciousko - Red Sails in the Sunset

I've already commented on most of these earlier in the thread. All absolute quality. The Oils truly are a bloody great band!

10 - Wedding Cake Island - Wedding Cake Island.

Surf instrumentals never sounded better

9 - No Time for Games - Wedding Cake Island

"Let's Rock!"

A mate once told me he was at an Oils beach gig where Garrett yelled "Lets Surf" this, at this point in time has never been verified. Yes I managed to get the whole EP in my countdown.

8 - Best of Both Worlds - Red Sails in the Sunset

7 - Read About It - 10,9,8,....

Man I flipped out seeing this live in April. Audio is shit.

6 - Don't Wanna be the One - Place Without a Postcard

When I began thinking of my favourite Midnight Oil song I was sure this would be number 1. All time live favourite.

5- Powderworks - Midnight Oil

4 - Back on the Borderline - Head Injuries

3 - Lucky Country - Place Without a Postcard

2 - Written in the Heart - Place without a Postcard

1 - Only the Strong - 10,9,8,...

Sorry man I couldn't wait....

Midnight Oil are an amazing band with an outstanding catalogue of music but the thing that has always stood out for me is just how good they are live. The Selinas gig a few months ago showed me they have lost nothing during their politically enforced sabbatical. ENERGY, non stop energy and wanting every single person at their gigs to feel loved and valued. I only have one song after Species Deceases in my countdown mainly because I just wasn't exposed to it. I don't know it well enough to judge it but what I do know is their first five albums and two EP's stock up against anything any other band has done in that time.

Rock on Oils, can't wait to see them again in October in Darwin and November in Sydney.

5. No Time for Games - Bird Noises

Damn, the guitars on this track are just bloody awesome.

4. Power and the Passion - 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

An absolute Aussie classic.

3. Lucky Country - Place Without a Postcard

What can I say that I haven't already, Zuma you were wrong! Okay, nothing it seems...

2. Back on the Borderline - Head Injuries

The second best track from the greatest Aussie album of all time. Just play it loud, okay?

1. Is It Now? - Head Injuries

I've listened to a lot of music and while other songs have come and gone this song has remained in my top ten songs of all time for as long as I can remember. I've already gushed about it earlier in the thread so I won't repeat myself, suffice to say this is the Oils at their absolute best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5- Powderworks - Midnight Oil

4 - Back on the Borderline - Head Injuries

3 - Lucky Country - Place Without a Postcard

2 - Written in the Heart - Place without a Postcard

1 - Only the Strong - 10,9,8,...

Sorry man I couldn't wait....

Midnight Oil are an amazing band with an outstanding catalogue of music but the thing that has always stood out for me is just how good they are live. The Selinas gig a few months ago showed me they have lost nothing during their politically enforced sabbatical. ENERGY, non stop energy and wanting every single person at their gigs to feel loved and valued. I only have one song after Species Deceases in my countdown mainly because I just wasn't exposed to it. I don't know it well enough to judge it but what I do know is their first five albums and two EP's stock up against anything any other band has done in that time.

Rock on Oils, can't wait to see them again in October in Darwin and November in Sydney.

Haha, I would have beaten ya if I hadn't have got caught listening to Is it Now? for the bazillionth time! Definitely one of the best live bands going around with an amazing catalogue, I just hope they play a bit more of their earlier stuff when they're back in Oz. Fingers crossed.

Haha, I would have beaten ya if I hadn't have got caught listening to Is it Now? for the bazillionth time! Definitely one of the best live bands going around with an amazing catalogue, I just hope they play a bit more of their earlier stuff when they're back in Oz. Fingers crossed.

From the playlists I've seen they are playing pretty much an entire early album with heaps of other stuff. At Selinas we got 9 (I think) from Head Injuries and 29 songs all up. An early South American gig got 10,9,8.. And a best of show iirc.

We both had Lucky Country at number 3!!!! Shows how diverse their catalogue is that that was the only match.

What a band.

Love all 3 top 50's, just goes to show how incredibly strong the Oils catalogue is. I dropped out of touch as a hard core fan after ESM but have recently been listening to Redneck Wonderland and Capricornia and have grown to appreciate how good they are.

Also just snapped up a ticket to the Sydney show in November. 3 shows in 3 weeks. ****ing brilliant

The perfect oils gig for me.

Only The Strong
No Reaction
Cold Cold Change
Bus to Bondi
Back on the Borderline
Run by Night
Hercules
Dont Wanna be the One
Read About it
Sometimes
Lucky Country
No Time for Games

Pretty close for mine as well.

Went to many gigs in melbourne from 1979 to 1983 and was always impressed.

I lived near to Macy's in toorak rd which held a hundred comfortably. First time there, there woulg have been 50 punters. Peter Garret jumps severely restricted by low roofline. Last time at Macy's was chokkers.

Will see them in Darwin this october.

Remove this Banner Ad

Midnight Oil - 50 to 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back