Griff19

Team Captain
Oct 18, 2007
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Waverley Blues
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/melbournes-failure-to-launch/story-fn7shz1t-1226048676712

Ok.. so I read it.

Its basically pointing out that Melbourne have been disappointing and by the looks of it continue to be.

But the comparison to Carlton is a bit silly in my opinion. We are at completely different stages of development now and back then.

2007 Melbourne was on the slide. We had had a few successful years (some would say! including GF in 2000) leading up to that and it was time to rebuild. Carlton on the other hand had had quite a few years down the bottom at that stage. Of course they were going to improve quicker that Melbourne from that point. Basically Carlton was down the bottom area from 2002, 2007 was Melbourne’s first for a while. In fact it has taken Carlton a lot longer to improve (basically 7 years) than Melbourne (assuming they come good soon)!!

Below is the ladder finishing positions since 2002

YEAR
MELBOURNE LADDER POSITION
CARLTON LADDER POSITION

I agree griff. It was a pointless article as it was the 3rd straight pick #1 for Carlton in a row, while it was our first time down south for a while. Pointless article by a man who likes to write cr@p about nothing, as does his paper:thumbsu:

Anyone ever noticed the way that Mike sticks the boot in annually during a tough period, but still claims to be a big Dees fans? Don't see a clear purpose :thumbsdown:

I agree griff. It was a pointless article as it was the 3rd straight pick #1 for Carlton in a row, while it was our first time down south for a while. Pointless article by a man who likes to write cr@p about nothing, as does his paper
Carlton started the rebuild in 2005 in the Murphy year.

We started in 2008 with the Watts year, pathetic journalism

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/melbournes-failure-to-launch/story-fn7shz1t-1226048676712

Ok.. so I read it.

Its basically pointing out that Melbourne have been disappointing and by the looks of it continue to be.

But the comparison to Carlton is a bit silly in my opinion. We are at completely different stages of development now and back then.

2007 Melbourne was on the slide. We had had a few successful years (some would say! including GF in 2000) leading up to that and it was time to rebuild. Carlton on the other hand had had quite a few years down the bottom at that stage. Of course they were going to improve quicker that Melbourne from that point. Basically Carlton was down the bottom area from 2002, 2007 was Melbourne’s first for a while. In fact it has taken Carlton a lot longer to improve (basically 7 years) than Melbourne (assuming they come good soon)!!

Below is the ladder finishing positions since 2002

YEAR
MELBOURNE LADDER POSITION
CARLTON LADDER POSITION

well they started trying to rise in 08 so this is the best way to compare it

3 years into there cycle of trying to rise they are top 4 contenders..
2 years in they made finals

I think its also massively important to mention that carlton went and got Nick stevens, heath scotland and chriss judd.. three tough excellent clearance players, team players and hard workers.. we got rid of james mcdonald
US

We started trying to rise in 2010
our first year trying to go up we finished 12th.. they finished 11th
this year we need to make the 8 to match carltons development ( or atleast be around the 8 especially with our draw )

so are we behind schedule right now?
are carlton in front of schedule?
did we try to rise up the ladder one year to early?

The guy is a Melbourne supporter and is a top line sports writer for the highest selling newspaper in Melbourne. Give him a break! It must be incredibly hard for him to not write crap about our club every single week! He's bleeding just as much as we are.

I know if I was a sports writer for the Herald Sun, I'd be writing more stinging articles about the Dees than this one. He lays the boot in when we deserve it. No more, no less. I agree that this particular article was a poor one though. This isn't the first time he has brought up the Kreuzer Cup and how Carlton winning the match, actually meant that they were the winners.

The guy is a Melbourne supporter

No he isn't. He's been quoted as saying he has a "soft spot" for the MFC, but he's also stated several times he doesn't support any particular team.

As for the article- it's spot on. We've been "rebuilding" for years, We've made a lot of mistakes along the way, and we are still years away from being a genuine threat.

Last year nearly every AFL commentator was predicting that Melbourne was bound to win several premierships this decade...

... I haven't heard a lot of positive remarks about Melbourne this year.

One main point in the article is if we lose our next three games, there needs to be serious questions asked. No shit. I thought last year overall was a positive step. We look terrible at the moment!

No he isn't. He's been quoted as saying he has a "soft spot" for the MFC, but he's also stated several times he doesn't support any particular team.

As for the article- it's spot on. We've been "rebuilding" for years, We've made a lot of mistakes along the way, and we are still years away from being a genuine threat.

Last year nearly every AFL commentator was predicting that Melbourne was bound to win several premierships this decade...

One main point in the article is if we lose our next three games, there needs to be serious questions asked. No shit. I thought last year overall was a positive step. We look terrible at the moment!

He's as Melbourne as they come....but just doesn't want to appear biased. This article is designed to give the Dees a kick up the clacker. Unfortunately every time the Crows play you in Melbourne a similar thing seems to happen. This will be a very close game this week, only hope we can get over the line, as Melbourne have had the wood on us in recent years at the 'G'.

I agree. Crap article.

He should be writing about:

1 - West Coast being bigger tankers than us.

2 - Why Garry Lyon chose Bailey.

3 - Why the Sting2 is always right.

That's journalist gold right there. GIVE US ARTICLES WE WANT TO SEE MIKE!

I think we are about 1 or 2 years behind Carlton, in a similar way that Richmond are 1 or 2 years behind us in terms of list building etc.

I agreed with a lot of what he said re our key indicators, but saying Bartram was in line for prosecution for not improving (whatever the hell that means) was a little bit unfair. Bartram has been solid without being spectacular, which is what we need from him.

I think we are about 1 or 2 years behind Carlton, in a similar way that Richmond are 1 or 2 years behind us in terms of list building etc.

I agreed with a lot of what he said re our key indicators, but saying Bartram was in line for prosecution for not improving (whatever the hell that means) was a little bit unfair. Bartram has been solid without being spectacular, which is what we need from him.

well i think that we are 1 year behind carlton/essendon and 1 year in front of west/coast richmond , so what happens if they both finish above us on the ladder.. especially richmond who look capable of beating almost anyone when there on... sound familiar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you may or may not agree with Mike and/or his article, but this paragraph is sickening reading:

The AFL's key indicators are an indictment on Bailey and his men. They rank 16th for hardball gets, 15th for contested possessions, 15th for clearances, 15th for inside-50s, 17th and last for tackles.

Horrendous lack of structure and intensity from us this year.

Anyone ever noticed the way that Mike sticks the boot in annually during a tough period, but still claims to be a big Dees fans? Don't see a clear purpose :thumbsdown:

Carlton started the rebuild in 2005 in the Murphy year.

We started in 2008 with the Watts year, pathetic journalism

Correct, 2005 was Carlton and Collingwood's rebuild years. You guys have just started to rebuild the last couple. Time will tell.

He barracks for Melbourne, ask him. He helped put the 150 heroes list together..

also what's with your username ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mike Sheahan Article

Remove this Banner Ad

Back