Mitchell & Cotchin Brownlow Medals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the AFL are fair dinkum about protecting and promoting the integrity of the sport then on the night of Monday 21 March 2016 (the Monday prior to the start of the regular season) they will gather a selection of the best players from each club, coaches and other AFL “dignitaries” and present Cotchin and Mitchell with Brownlow medals for the 2012 season. Each medal recipient will have an opportunity to thank and recognise those who they consider have made a significant contribution to their life (both from a footballing and more general perspective). This would provide Cothcin and Mitchell with the recognition and experience that was stolen from them by Jobe Watson and those at the EFC who knowingly provided him with at least one banned substance.

Barring that the next best option would be for the medals to be awarded after the Hawks and Tigers play on the night of Friday 6 May. This would provide an opportunity for AFL fans to send a message the AFL by making the game a sellout and for all match attendees to stay for the presentation.

Every cloud has a silver lining – in this case it is an opportunity to celebrate clean athletes.

Regards

S. Pete

So how many days after the cas ruling and still not a peep on a palyer that was found guilty of taking a ped and after admiting to taking a ped....yet still keeps a medal thats awarded to the best and fairest player of the league

Not a peep.

Jobe is too busy talking to lawyers about making money rather than worrying about his integrity and handing it back.

The AFL Commission must be rubbing their eyes because there is no way they would have expected to sit and deliberate on Jobe.

Every day he waits is more proof of his (serious lack of) character.

So how many days after the cas ruling and still not a peep on a palyer that was found guilty of taking a ped and after admiting to taking a ped....yet still keeps a medal thats awarded to the best and fairest player of the league

Not a peep.
I'm surprised that Jobe hasn't handed it back himself, I thought he was better than that, disgraceful if he attempts to keep it and even worse if the AFL allow him to keep it.

They may as well melt down all past medals and throw them in the bin if a convicted drug cheat is allowed to keep what is the fairest and best medal with the emphasis always being on the fairest.

I'm surprised that Jobe hasn't handed it back himself, I thought he was better than that, disgraceful if he attempts to keep it and even worse if the AFL allow him to keep it.

another one of these guys in the AFL who is supposedly a "top bloke" (aren't they all) who has the "highest integrity" (didn't he defend the drugs program on foxfooty?)

In the end he is showing his true colors. I honestly think he may refuse to return the actual medal.

It wont get taken off him, AFL dont have the balls to do it. Considering changing codes tbh over this whole thing. The elephant in the room is that the AFL commission found them innocent even though there was evidence that they doped. Corruption at the highest level.

Might take a few weeks, but it will get taken off him. And simply has to go to the runner ups, can't understand all the comicated fuss. Simple.

But some teams played Essendon twice while others only played it once so it's not exactly the same playing field

Possible changes include Thompson winning it outright, Cotchin winning it outright, Mitchell winning it with one of the others - fair few potential combinations which is why perhaps leaving it blank has some merit. Scott Thompson might feel rather cheated if Cotchin and Mitchell were awarded the medal - that said, agree with Cotchin's 2012 being phenomenal though

If Watson was suspended during the year for striking he still could have polled votes in the brownlow and therefore influenced the result. How is this any different to Chris Grant polling the most votes but not winning because he was ineligible? the first eligible player wins the medal. Jobe is ineligible so Mitchelll & Cotchin win it. Simple

Last edited:
If Watson was suspended during the year for striking he still could have polled votes in the brownlow and therefore influenced the result. How is this any different to Chris Grant polling the most votes but not winning because he was intelligible? the first eligible player wins the medal. Jobe is intelligible so Mitchelll & Cotchin win it. Simple

This has been addressed in the past posts by other members if you were the least bit 'intelligible' and bothered to read the thread

Being on PEDs is not the same as being suspended through striking - votes earned by those suspended are still legitimate while votes earned on PEDs are not

This has been addressed in the past posts by other members if you were the least bit 'intelligible' and bothered to read the thread

Being on PEDs is not the same as being suspended through striking - votes earned by those suspended are still legitimate while votes earned on PEDs are not
sorry grammar police I've fixed my typo for you.
Why is being on PED's different to striking? the punishment is the same? both suspensions and once that suspension is served they can resume playing. Jobe cheated and was suspended, he loses the medal because he can hardly be either the fairest or best as a cheat.

Mitchell and Cotchin win as the fairest and best players of the year. Anything else is crazy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So then it will come to whether the AFL want winners listed or not.

If they want winners listed they will will go to the next most votes as at the end of the count. I see this as the only viable option, they apply some complex formula and all that is going to do is further dilute what is fast becoming a joke of an award anyhow.

If they choose not to have winners I look forward to the inserting of more asterix into the record books.

I'd love to see Mitchell win the medal. On the condition he makes a rousing acceptance speech condemning the low-life amoebic organinisms at Windy Hill who have tried to trash the game.
How about just a simple "jab" gesture?

I think that would say enough.

AFL handing Mitchell & Cockchin retrospective Brownlows is neither here nor there for me. Great if they do, not fussed if they don't.
What I really want to see is the AFL handing Essendon penalties for doping as to date they've only penalised them for lack of governance.
Stripping Jab of his Brownlow is a no-brainer and imo an easy out (in terms of further penalties) for the weak as piss AFL.

One factor that is influencing people, but shouldn't, is that Cotchin has been somewhat underwhelming since that year. For Mitchell it's no problem, but people feel uncomfortable awarding Cotchin a Brownlow now even though his last 3 years should be irrelevant.

It should be taken off Watson. Whether or not they award it in retrospect to the other two is not a secondary factor to me. I doubt either of them would feel incredibly comfortable receiving it.

One factor that is influencing people, but shouldn't, is that Cotchin has been somewhat underwhelming since that year. For Mitchell it's no problem, but people feel uncomfortable awarding Cotchin a Brownlow now even though his last 3 years should be irrelevant.

Perception's a funny thing. Mitchell's finished 28th, 42nd and 8th in the AFLCA award since 2012; Cotchin 24th, 23rd and 12th (and yes Mitchell missed some games in 2014). Sure, Cotchin hasn't returned to his 2012 level, but he hasn't totally fallen off the map (won 2014 b&f, 9th/10th/11th in Brownlow).

Not fussed either way as to whether Cotchin receives a tainted medal.

It should be taken off Watson. Whether or not they award it in retrospect to the other two is not a secondary factor to me. I doubt either of them would feel incredibly comfortable receiving it.

- watch the Richmond vs Sydney game of last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back