Mobile reception - best to worst

Remove this Banner Ad

Bandwidth issues, both Vodaphone and Optus have overloaded their networks.

Why the NBN should stay fibre, wireless is only a secondary connection at best.

Mobile network reception as little to do with bandwidth and network load.

I don't see why you felt the need to bring the NBN argument into this thread... let alone post something so misleading as above.

- Wireless 3G of today != Wireless 3.xG or 4G current being rolled out.
- Fibre optic to all base-stations will help bandwidth no matter which wireless technology is in place.
- Lack of reception or overloaded networks says more about a lack of infrastructure than the technology... gee I wonder how NYC (with 20 million people), or Beijing (22mil) or Dehli(12mil) wireless networks cope with wireless loads?:rolleyes:

Mobile network reception as little to do with bandwidth and network load.

Having full bar "reception" doesn't help when you can't even make a call because the cell tower can't cope with demand. :rolleyes:

kaysee said:
Fibre optic to all base-stations will help bandwidth no matter which wireless technology is in place.

Is that happening?

kaysee said:
Lack of reception or overloaded networks says more about a lack of infrastructure than the technology.

I don't trust the TelCo's to maintain the infrastructure. They've got a track record of starting out ok then falling backwards rapidly as people use it. Optus would be the worst culprit at this.

At least with fibre the TelCo neglect of keeping up with infrastructure from the initial release is a far smaller issue.

Was on Virgin (not for internet though) and never had a problem, ever!

Now on Optus and I kept asking people why my bars were really low - however I know Virgin is owned by Optus? Anyway, 3G network is a b**ch at work. If I ever want to do a bet I have to leave my desk and go for a 2-3 minute walk to the other side of the building which has perfect 4-5 bars of network. Facepalm!

Having full bar "reception" doesn't help when you can't even make a call because the cell tower can't cope with demand. :rolleyes:

Is that happening?

I don't trust the TelCo's to maintain the infrastructure. They've got a track record of starting out ok then falling backwards rapidly as people use it. Optus would be the worst culprit at this.

At least with fibre the TelCo neglect of keeping up with infrastructure from the initial release is a far smaller issue.

As I said... no need to debate the NBN in another thread. :rolleyes:

Perhaps see a shrink about your TelCo issues.

Good news (better coverage) for Vodaphone and 3 customers... the companies are now also merging their networks.

http://www.channelnews.com.au/Networking_And_Wireless/Industry/N6A4N6M4
"We are creating a stronger, better network for our customers, which will deliver a superior customer experience and support ever increasing levels of data usage and expanded areas of coverage," said Nigel Dews, CEO of VHA. "We have already invested over $550million in our network and there is much more planned."

Investments include:
- 1,400 new tower/station sites (900 city and 500 regional).
- new receivers for businesses to assist indoor coverage.
- fibre roll out to connect sites to NBN.
- LTE (3.xG) trials. Increasing wireless speeds by 10 (times)... ~73Mbps.

All good things.

Good news (better coverage) for Vodaphone and 3 customers... the companies are now also merging their networks.

Investments include:
- 1,400 new tower/station sites (900 city and 500 regional).
- new receivers for businesses to assist indoor coverage.
- fibre roll out to connect sites to NBN.
- LTE (3.xG) trials. Increasing wireless speeds by 10 (times)... ~73Mbps.

All good things.

great news. i received my iphone 4 on three this week and have major problems making/receiving calls from where i live.

when can we expect better reception? there's a bit on the end of the article which says many initiatives will be completed next year but im not sure if its referring to my question.

I'm surprised you would sign up with Three. I have a 3GS on Three and my reception has not been great lately. My mates on Voda have way better reception than me when we are at the same location.

I went to a Telstra shop yesterday and a girl there said she'd had many people get out of their Three contracts and move over to Telstra. That's what I'm hoping to do.

Work has had enough, our corporate contract with Optus is up in February and we're giving them the arse and going back to Telstra - its costing $250k/yr extra but we have to be able to make bloody phone calls 24x7, not just when Optus feel like it.

Squeaky wheels are being bought out of their Optus contracts early and shifted to Telstra at $500 a pop, I guess I just haven't squeaked enough yet.

Work has had enough, our corporate contract with Optus is up in February and we're giving them the arse and going back to Telstra - its costing $250k/yr extra but we have to be able to make bloody phone calls 24x7, not just when Optus feel like it.

Squeaky wheels are being bought out of their Optus contracts early and shifted to Telstra at $500 a pop, I guess I just haven't squeaked enough yet.

Where abouts are you based?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm surprised you would sign up with Three. I have a 3GS on Three and my reception has not been great lately. My mates on Voda have way better reception than me when we are at the same location.

I went to a Telstra shop yesterday and a girl there said she'd had many people get out of their Three contracts and move over to Telstra. That's what I'm hoping to do.

given i have 23 months left in this $69 plan, what do you expect the additional cost to be around if i wanted to switch over to telstra for the remainder of my contract?

If you signed up less than a month ago, I believe you can cancel your contract. A couple friends of mind did and changed to Optus and Telstra.

Disclaimer: my own recent experiences with Three Mobile may not be indicative of the norm.

From my experience, the relationship between quality reception and good deals are inversely related. ie. Telstra best for reception, worst for deals and Three are the other way round.

But I think that's changed over the last 12-24 months. I've gone through Optus, Three and now on Telstra. I've worked at Vodafone customer support, so I have decent idea on their network coverage (although that was 2008).

I signed a deal with Tesltra last November/December that was designed to bundle Home phone + home internet + mobile and eventually foxtel.

The home phone was somehow split between Telstra and Optus (one for local calls, one for national). That merged into one. Internet was brought over from Internode (MASSIVE drop in quality, but for half the price I'm not complaining) and the iphone I got was a crappy $49 cap + $10 data bundle which gave me 100mb. About 6 months in, I received a marketing call saying "we're upgrading you to 200mb" which is about where I get to every month.

I see improvements with Telstra, but I'm not sure how competitive they really are on the smartphones.

As for the question in the OP regarding reception, well I never had any great dramas until I was out of the city. I live in the inner eastern suburbs so I had no dramas with Three although I know others that did.

I guess it's a question you have to ask yourself "how often am I venturing outside a 15km radius of the CBD?" If your home, work, recreational venues (bars, clubs, restaurants, sports clubs, etc.) and other locations are all located within the city and you only travel out once in a while for a holiday or something then I'd just go with the best deal available from either of the major networks.

If reception is an issue, I'd sign a 12 month contract with Optus or Telstra and re-evaluate people's reviews of VF/Three's merged network a year down the track.
If you signed up less than a month ago, I believe you can cancel your contract. A couple friends of mind did and changed to Optus and Telstra.

Disclaimer: my own recent experiences with Three Mobile may not be indicative of the norm.
I think all carriers have to allow for a cooling off period.

I see improvements with Telstra, but I'm not sure how competitive they really are on the smartphones.

The Desire is really well priced and they seem to be upping their data offerings finally! I think they are getting there. Not the best in terms of value but I think their network + value is now at a good medium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mobile reception - best to worst

Remove this Banner Ad

Back