Money! Friendship!

Remove this Banner Ad

Stkfc05

Debutant
Mar 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
hey guys sorry about the grammar of this post but im so pissed off..

A month ago the next door neighbour's dog got into our backyard and killed our cat.
Our cat was at the vet for 4 days which came to a total of $5,000.
Now we have been friends with our neighbour for about 20 years.
Clearly they are at fault here and we refused to pay a cent for the vet bills. Eventually they have paid today after a month of asking for the money, Now they want nothing to do with us.
How does this work ? We could have had their dog put down or taken it further.
They still have their dog but we lose our cat....

Goes to show money does weird things to people. :thumbsdown:

Yeah because he was in the emergancy vet which costs a fortune then at the main vet.. They do charge you still even if the animal dies

I'd cough up if my dog got in next door and killed their cat and I'd take full responsibility. I'd be embarrassed and feel sad for the neighbours especially if they were friends and if they weren't going to let the event get in the way of friendship then I wouldn't either.

Money brings out peoples true colors though...you should see some of the sh*t fights that start between family members when a person dies and there's money to be distributed:thumbsdown:.

Well, I guess if they can't see how they are at fault and were unwilling to pay for the fees then they're probably not worth being friends with anyway. It is unfortunate though that you only saw their true colours after 20 years or so.

If however you still want to try and salvage the friendship I would maybe write a letter explaining how you see the situation (explain that if the shoe was on the other foot you would not have hesitated to pay the bill etc) and finish by telling them that you'd still love to be friends. If they still don't want anything to do with you then **** em.

Heard of pet insurance ?
Its about $40 a year. If you loved your pet and are responsible then you should have had it.

Don't blame your neighbours. Animals are animals. They get into trouble. Maybe half the bill would have been okay but to pay the whole bill is taking it too far.

Did you seriously expect them to hand over 5K for a cat and everything to remain hunky dory afterwards ?

Are you ****ing kidding me?

You expect your neighbors to hand over 5 large to cover the cost of a dead cat without so much as a whimper.
If you handed me a $5,000 bill for a ****ing cat it would be on like Donkey Kong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

$5000?......$5000?!!!

Sorry, but if it was $500 then yeah they should have copped it, but 5 large is a big whack. Unless I was rolling in cash I wouldn't give out that sort of money for a cat, no way no how.

Theres no way in hell i would pay a cent if my dog killed a cat. If you want to take your cat to an expensive vet then thats your problem. Madness

Why don't you mention the suburb your living in? I am guessing quite upmarket for someone to just hand over $5k for a cat vet bill?

I mean thats quite large.. and I cant even fatham why they would pay it without going to court or something, I sure as hell wouldnt. I would of offered maby $500 tops for the bill.

Maby you live in a rich neighbourhood?

He said he wouldn't pay a cent. I can understand the owner not wanting to pay $5000, but refusing to pay anything? Dog would be better off sleeping than living with such a knob.

I dont actually have a dog it was hypothetical. I suppose if it was my fault the dog got into their backyard i would give a bit of money but 5k is just outrageous.

Although I agree the neighbors have to hit some kind of reasonable agreement, and should pay you a settlement... but

I dispute the 5 grand fine for having the cat in emergency? 4 days = 5 grand? That's rediculous!. I've had a few animals placed in emergency in my time (not from my doing.. i am soft to animals :D) and i've paid a bit, but the price your saying is rediculous.

Suspiciously the fine came to the tune of exactly 5000 bucks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Money! Friendship!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back