emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
Which sporting grounds do you think have the nicest scenery or most attractive surroundings? They don't need to be AFL or high level state league grounds, they can be suburban/country venues and for other sports too. Can also be overseas. I nominate the following:

Williamstown Cricket Ground (Victoria) - The home of VFL superpower the Williamstown Seagulls, this ground out on Point Gellibrand enjoys million dollar views of Port Phillip Bay. It can get mighty cold out there in the winter, but this is a small price to pay for the stunning scenery. I remember seeing an interview with VFA legend Phil Cleary, who said that one of the biggest challenges of playing at the Williamstown Oval was not the Seagulls nor the cold breeze, but not getting distracted by the wonderful views and myriad of ocean going craft.

Unley Oval (South Australia) - SANFL team Sturt's home ground at Unley just south of Adelaide is one of the most beautiful in the country. Inner-suburban Unley with its old-style buildings and beautiful trees surround the venue, which boasts an old grandstand with stunning early 20th century architecture, the Adelaide city skyline to the north-west and to the south-east, a wonderful view of the stunning Mt Lofty Ranges. Watching the Double Blues in action at this ground is hardly a displeasure.

North Fremantle Oval (Western Australia) - The North Fremantle Magpies are the WAFL's answer to University, showing promise in their debut decade of the 1900s but falling away sharply after 1910 and uncompetitive by the time they disbanded at the start of World War I after 1914. However North Fremantle have a glittering array of silverware won by the Magpies in amateur and other suburban competitions around Perth in over a century since then, North Fremantle a super power of WA football. The Magpies keep their impressive spoils at their home ground of the North Fremantle Oval - also known as Gilbert Fraser Reserve and also used for high level suburban cricket - a stunning oval right on the banks of the Swan River, boasting century old grandstands and surrounded by towering Norfolk Island Pine Trees. Like with Williamstown in Victoria, not being distracted by passing craft on the river is a big challenge when playing the Magpies. Believe it or not, North Fremantle Oval was the venue of several WAFL Grand Finals in the early 1900s, but despite its beauty it would not be up to the task of hosting a WAFL Grand Final today.

North Sydney Oval (New South Wales) - I am a firm member of the 'bring back the Bears' campaign to see North Sydney resurrected in the NRL. The Bears certainly have a nice home ground on Sydney's North Shore, the North Sydney Oval an old-style venue with beautiful grandstands and surrounded by Moreton Bay Fig Trees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Most Beautiful Sporting Grounds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back