Most Decorated Local Footballer

Remove this Banner Ad

The Cat said:
I'm only going from memory here slim18, but am reasonably certain he did win the BDFL league medal, and I think Travvy is on the money about missing out on the finals due to injury in the same year.

Travvy - when you say 'last year', are you referring to 2004. I had a suspicion he won the 2004 medal. He must be mid to late 40's by now?

Not sure about 04 but definetly not 05 guys

slim18 said:
Not sure about 04 but definetly not 05 guys

John Brunner won the 2004 Benalla & District League best & fairest with 30 votes(Home & Away season is only 15 games). The runner up had 14 votes.

Definately played in the 2004 Grand Final with plenty of tape on one leg.

Flat Track Bully said:
Brunner is reportedly training with Yarrawonga at aged 44 (I think)

Also, one must remember that Robbie Walker was doing this when the O and M was the strongest country league in Australia, and arguably stronger than the NSW and QLD state comps at the time.

As for being in the mix for AFL, played in North Melbourne's VFL Under 19 flag of 1988, which included a bloke called Carey and another named Schwass.

Was happy to come home and be a teacher at Galen College.
So could have been a premiership player

The Cat said:
I'm only going from memory here slim18, but am reasonably certain he did win the BDFL league medal, and I think Travvy is on the money about missing out on the finals due to injury in the same year.

Travvy - when you say 'last year', are you referring to 2004. I had a suspicion he won the 2004 medal. He must be mid to late 40's by now?

michael frost. has won a few and i stand to be corrected if wrong
2 comp medals wrfl 1996 & 1997
comp medal when playing for yarrawonga 1995
liston medal 1998 2nd in liston 2001
and not mentioning that in last 10-11 years since getting the flick from st kilda he'd won at least 9 b&fs at his stint with yarrawonga,yarraville,werribee and now hoppers crossing
nothing compared to r.walker he is well known for his greatness

clicketyclix said:
and not mentioning that in last 10-11 years since getting the flick from st kilda he'd won at least 9 b&fs at his stint with yarrawonga,yarraville,werribee and now hoppers crossing

I don't think Frosty won a Morris Medal...

Frost has never won a Morris Medal or finished in the top 3 for that matter in any year.

Top 3 in 1995 were: Ken HOWE (Albury) 24 (Ruckman), Glenn Page (Albury) 21, Simon Bone (Wodonga Raiders) 20.

Brunner won the 2004 Benalla & District League medal and definately played in the Grand Final.(It's the only game of B&DFL I have seen in the past 10 years). He may have missed either the semi and the prelim but was definately playing in the Grand Final.

There's a few in the SANFL... but top among those in the post-AFL era would have to be Damian Squire.

2002 SANFL Premiership player with Sturt FC
Sturt FC B&F Award 1999
All SANFL State Teams 2000 - 2005
Magarey Medallist 1999 & 2000

Him and probably quite a few players at Centrals.

Snakeman66 said:
Frost has never won a Morris Medal or finished in the top 3 for that matter in any year.

Top 3 in 1995 were: Ken HOWE (Albury) 24 (Ruckman), Glenn Page (Albury) 21, Simon Bone (Wodonga Raiders) 20.

Brunner won the 2004 Benalla & District League medal and definately played in the Grand Final.(It's the only game of B&DFL I have seen in the past 10 years). He may have missed either the semi and the prelim but was definately playing in the Grand Final.

i stand corrected on the frosty - morris medal. cheers

clicketyclix said:

Robbie ..12 years at wang rovers - 11 B&F in a row i think and 3 league medals and huge number of inter league games ...Vic country games etc etc and a nice bloke as well ...played for peanuts for years ..a club man

I think you will find Rob won FIVE Morris Medals _ the first being in 1991 and the last being in 2003 when he last played.
He is sorely missed around the OM traps both as a player and a bloke of the highest order.
Quality individual.

Kelvin 69 said:
Tony Hickey - 11 B and F's, 2 McLeod Medals, 10 preimerships (7 as coach), 330 SFL games, VCFL representative, VCFL Coach of the year.

Fair record i think:thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Also the current Sunraysia Football League interleague Coach, Qualified level 3. Played in a winning premiership last year at age 40. Holds League record for number of games played. Still fit as a fiddle and would slip into any side. An extraodinary player that I would class as best in the business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

charlie_mcw said:
Yep, Dean Bennett. Has always been in a different class to anyone else I've seen in the bush.

Yep good call mate i would choose Bennett as well before anyone. Gun footballer has so much time whenever he got the footy. Not just a gun footballer but a gun bloke as well. Apparently would buy new footys for training every couple of weeks and also put a quid on the bar after the matches.:thumbsu: Wouldnt find too many blokes around willing to do that these days....

I would have Gary Young from Donald and Paul Morgan from Donald/Rupanyup as too highly decorated players in country footy. G.Young won a feeny in 1983 in the N.C.F.L and won several B&F's for Donald. Morgan kicked a ton in 3 consequtive years at Donald and people rate him as the best full foward in country footy to this day.

Brunner won the 2004 Benalla & District League medal and definately played in the Grand Final.(It's the only game of B&DFL I have seen in the past 10 years).

Saw that grand final, Brunner was easily Devs best on. Correct me if im wrong did he kick 5 goal on 1 leg? (dodgy hamstring)

Does anyone know how many league medals and club b n fs he won? won a few club best and fairests at benalla. Also had a mate a benalla John (Shorty Martinello). A great country footballer and was still performing into 40s. Anyone got any information?

Remove this Banner Ad

Most Decorated Local Footballer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back