Most disappointing player this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Which season, H&A, or the one beginning this weekend?

That's the beauty for the guys still playing finals that have had poor form up until this point, they have a chance to turn it all around come round 23.

I daresay that if they've had shit years, they won't be making it into the finals side.

If John Anthony makes the Collingwood team for finals I will be shocked beyond belief.

From the Pies:

Leon - poor season so far, hope he explodes in finals but he probably doesn't have the momentum.

Medhurst - Not sure what it is, but hasn't looked the same player after getting a big knock to the head up in Brissie where he single handedly won the game for us last year. Has the capacity to turn a game but will probably not get the opportunity this finals series.

Anthony - Kicked 50 goals last year and I thought he would be good forward option.

Fraser - Should have been freed up by Jolly taking the majority of the ruck duties but has simply not performed. Career might be coming to an end.

I daresay that if they've had shit years, they won't be making it into the finals side.

If John Anthony makes the Collingwood team for finals I will be shocked beyond belief.

Sure...

Other guys like Roughead and Davis have been mentioned though, could turn it all around if they turn it on in September.

Justin Sherman owns this thread. You could throw in another 4-5 Lions, but Shermo took the steepest fall in what was an atrocious season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's probably said already, but Andrew Lovett didn't do too much this year.

Akermanis was annoying as well. Injured, mouthy, then out on his ass.

That kid on the front of todays paper was pretty disappointing too. Caught out with a crack pipe in a public place- not too good- even if he was a VFL player at best.

Because the talent is there but rarely is it shown.

I take it you were happy with Nic Nat this year???? I am not saying he cannot play but on face value and THIS year alone to me he was dissapointing considering the upside he has. You can barely blame lack of chances as well as Cox was missing a lot this year and also down on form. He may come good next year and into the future but to me he didnt show anything this year and at this moment he is very overrated. Media also do have a lot to blame for hyping him up but i think this year he was dissapointing IMO. Also games played means nothing and if anything it makes my argument stronger.

This is IMO and lets not turn it into a Nic Nat discussion thread. :cool:

can you tell me which games he missed?

i was extremely happy was nic's year especially after finding out he played most of it with a serious shoulder injury that he'll be having surgery on this week

I posted this elsewhere in the 'Football Myths' thread, but it's relevant here too -

Myth: Nick Naitanui has suffered from '2nd Year Blues' in 2010.

Reality: He has played all 22 games for the Eagles in 2010, has improved his averages in every statistical category bar tackles (just a drop of 0.5 per game, but still averaged 3.4 per game, which is good for a ruckman, particularly of his age), and established a Champion Data Player Ranking score average 14 points higher than in his first season, showing that his overall statistical impact is much greater. Obviously statistics aren't everything, but there's nothing there to say he hasn't improved on his first season. He might not have been dominant or pulling highlight reel moments out every week, but what do people realistically expect from a second-year ruckman?

As for players that truly didn't live up to expectations in 2010, I'd have to put down a few Collingwood players such as Paul Medhurst, Leon Davis, John Anthony, Josh Fraser and John McCarthy. All were expected to bounce back from a poor 2009 (Medhurst, Fraser), maintain their good 2009 form (Davis), or (in the case of Anthony and McCarthy) make improvement on what they'd already shown. Thankfully we've had the depth to cover these disappointments.

Another one you could mention is Brisbane's Mitch Clark. I think not having free reign in the ruck (due to the pressence of Matthew Leuenberger, back from injury) might have been a factor in his apparent regression, but even when he was rucking, he wasn't as good as last year. Is he a ruckman? Is he a key forward? Had a few good performances, but overall just didn't have the impact he did in 2009. However, he did go some way to redeeming himself with possibly Australia's greatest anti-smoking protest.

Taylor Walker from the Crows....along with Tippet, he looked like he could be anything in 2009.

Still plenty of time of course.

As discussed on the Crows board, Walker has kicked more goals than Wayne Carey and current Coleman Medallist Jack Riewoldt did in their first 32 games. Coming along quite nicely for a 20-year-old key forward - good mark, good kick, good at ground level, good body size - especially considering the lacklustre delivery he's been getting most of the season.

Roughead kicked 49 goals this year. Average year, but not the most disappointing.

It seems that just like people didn't realise the size of his goal tally, they also wouldn't know that at Hawthorn in 2010 he is...

#1 for contest marks.
#1 for marks inside 50.
#1 for 1%ers by a forward.
#1 for goal assists.

Every teams true FF would be expected to lead the team in contested marks and marks inside 50. So that proves nothing, in fact they are probably the 4 most useless facts I have ever seen

From the Doggies:

Brad Johnson, Jason Akermanis & Mitch Hahn (but that is just because they are getting a little too old/slow to play).

Will Minson - Has taken a backwards step you could say hasn't improved whatsoever and will probably be in the 2's for the majority of the season nest year.

Shaun Higgins - Though I'm contributing a lot of it to the factors of him struggling with injury & having that debilitating virus he was carrying for a fair chunk of the season + he's still a kid.

Josh Hill - Has gone backwards, lacks confidence which is a shame because he is super talented.

Ryan Hargrave - Well down from last season's efforts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Most disappointing player this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back