Most famous musicians/bands you've ever met?

Remove this Banner Ad

Le Class

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2010
Mandurah
AFL Club
West Coast
For me..

Won a meet and greet with Paramore when they toured in 2009. Got to hang back stage and this pretty much confirmed my obsession with Hayley Williams :D

Flying back to Perth after Adelaide this year I had a few big recognizable bands on my flight too that I had a few pretty casual chats with. Slipknot, Lamb of God, Relient K and Unwritten Law band members sat near us on the flight too!

Also met Tom DeLonge (Blink) at the airport that day and saw Bert McCracken (The Used) at Hungry Jacks the day before.

Overall I've been pretty impressed that almost all that I've met were still super down to earth, normal-ish people

Rollins, Nick Cave (only shook his hand), Jello Biafra, Jon Spencer and Cristina Martinez, Lou Barlow, Kim Gordon, David Yow and David Wm. Sims, Ian MacKaye & Joe Lally.

Rollins, Nick Cave (only shook his hand), Jello Biafra, Jon Spencer and Cristina Martinez, Lou Barlow, Kim Gordon, David Yow and David Wm. Sims, Ian MacKaye & Joe Lally.

But not Iggy Pop. ;)

I've been blessed to hang out with lots of hardcore/metal bands in Australia over the years but my perennial favourites were:

Opeth - hung out with them and their families then had beers with Mikael Akerfeldt and Peter Lindgren.

Deftones - met Stephen Carptener in Adelaide and he invited me to join him for a smoke - ended up being a 30 minute chat about footy!

Parkway Drive - have had them hang with me backstage and at a bar in Brisbane, tremendously awesome fellas and never have a bad word to say about them.

Have also spent loads of time with IKTPQ, Confession, Amity Affliction and many others.

\m/

Sadly, no. But seeing him in the flesh was good enough. I would honestly be too star struck to meet him.

Lou Barlow was a f***** arseh*le btw. I must have caught him on a bad day.

We spoke about Adelaide, Darwins weather??? and travelling a long way to see him, he seemed genuinely interested and chuffed.

He is, and will always remain, the true king of rock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ray Charles, shook hands had a chat and he called me brother !

Albert Collins - "The Master of the Telecaster". Went backstage after a gig in Perth. Very humble and down to earth guy, as were his whole band.

OMD. They were watching the support band prior to their show and I wandered over for a chat. Got all their autographs on an old paper $2 note. Nice guys.

John Hammond. I went to buy tickets for a show at The Fly by Night in Perth and he was doing a sound check. Spoke briefly. Nice guy. Warm and genuine.

Chris Isaac, we on the way to his gig, he was walking past Parliament house in Perth. We said g'day and told him we were on the way to see him. As nice a guy as he seems.

Mary Gauthier, spoke to her after her gig at the West Coast blues and roots festival. Got her to sign a copy of her album The Foundling. Lovely warm person and very funny.

Michael Franti. At Southbound a few years back. I had gone to see my mate who was running the recycling/environmental programme and Michael Franti had gone over to say hi to them to say how good the initiative was. Got a picture with my wife, daughter, me and Michael. He is known as the world's biggest hugger and he did not disappoint. Big hugs all round.

Death Cab for Cutie. We went to see Jolie Holland at The Fly by Night club in Fremantle. DCFC were playing the following night. We were at the bar and they wandered in to watch the gig. Very nice guys. My daughter was insanely jealous as they are her favourite band. (I did a wee at the urinal next to Chris Walla).

Ian Brown (The Stone Roses.) I did not actually speak to him but he was on the same plane back from Melbourne to Perth as us. But my niece told me recently that she sat backstage with him having a chuff. She said he was a chain joint smoker and literally lit them up one after another. She said he was a lovely guy and made her a cup of tea. He also did not try anything untoward with her despite her being a young and very attractive girl.

I am sure there are more but cannot recall right now.

I was on Rockwiz when John Paul Young and Adalita were special guests. Both of them were great to hang out with.

Apart from that, some mates and I went backstage after a Sky concert in the 80s so my mates could scrounge autographs. Met Herbie Flowers, Kevin Peek, Tristan Fry and Rick Wakeman. I think they were just glad someone cared enough to sneak backstage so they chatted to us for a while.

Peter Garrett, as my local member, turned up at my daughter's school a few years ago to cut a ribbon. A picture of him and my daughter made the local rag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Most famous musicians/bands you've ever met?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back