Club Legend
RIP
Jan 13, 2001
SportsTAB, Memory Lane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Woodville,Roys,NT Thunder
Was having another look at the '01 flag. Geez we were in deep poo early in the 3rd. Essendon really let us off the hook. "Chopper" Ashcroft's goal against the run of play gets my vote.

Very good call. Not far behind is M.Voss from 55 in the '02 GF to put us in front against the poor old pies. (Unlikely to see that again).

McRae's bomb from way outside 50 in 1995 that sparked the biggest AFL/VFL 3Q-time comeback to win against the Hawks at the Gabba, starting a winning streak that got the Bears into the finals for the first time. The players got so much belief in themselves after that game. I'm still convinced it was the very first step down the road to the 2001 flag.

BrainOfMorbius said:
McRae's bomb from way outside 50 in 1995 that sparked the biggest AFL/VFL 3Q-time comeback to win against the Hawks at the Gabba, starting a winning streak that got the Bears into the finals for the first time. The players got so much belief in themselves after that game. I'm still convinced it was the very first step down the road to the 2001 flag.

Good call this one too.

I was at that game......45 down at 3/4 time, Hawks supporters laughing at us during the last break....."Haw, haw...the BEARS will NEVER be anything....you guys will NEVER ,EVER even make the finals................HAR,HAR....YUK,YUK...............you are a JOKE....guffaw,guffaw"

Came back and smashed them off the Gabba in that famous last quarter.....................and it still gives me goosebumps everytime I think of it.

Ah, the memories :D

campbell said:
Who kicked the point or goal in the QF in 1996 against Essendon? That was pretty special as well.

Memory's pretty rusty, but I seem to remember Bradshaw kicking a telling point or goal in a final could have been that one. That was the one where Wanganeen hit the post in the final minute, wasn't it?

FattyLumpkin said:
Was having another look at the '01 flag. Geez we were in deep poo early in the 3rd. Essendon really let us off the hook. "Chopper" Ashcroft's goal against the run of play gets my vote.

Was that the one when they scunged it out of the back pocket and up the wing - with DJ having a few touches, Hart in there as well I think, got to Choppers let fly from about 55 and it bounced through after landing in the square?

I get in confused with another in the 3rd quater that ended with ?Brown marking in the goal square on his tummy and firing a quick handpass to ?Power who goaled from 1m?

The Flying Belgian said:
Memory's pretty rusty, but I seem to remember Bradshaw kicking a telling point or goal in a final could have been that one. That was the one where Wanganeen hit the post in the final minute, wasn't it?

Thats the game. I remember going ballistic at a function in melbourne, my 10 yr old was standing on the bar chanting.He will always deny that though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheBrownDog said:
I think Nottings goal at the start of the 4th quarter in the 01 GF was pretty special.

Thats when I thought... "Holy moly, we really can win this thing!"
Yep that was a big one.

I can also remember Dunstall (who was doing the TV commentary at the time) having a whinge about the advantage rule being applied in the lead up to that goal and saying how "unfair" it was in that instance.

If you ask me, Jason was still smarting from that 45 point turnaround at the Gabba in '95 ;)

luthor said:
You mean in 2002?

The one where he roves Lynch, does a blind turn and slots it for a 9 point lead with only minutes left on the clock.

Aka kicked 5 sealers in 2003 :)

especially listening to the lips of lethal version, where lethal sent out specific instructions to aker just seconds earlier. great goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Most Important Goal in our history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back